Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: aye, here there be Dragons...

you know what lads those chinese dragons sound like the sea monsters we got in ireland and scotland that live in lakes and bogs and what not from the description
    like lochness for example everyone from around there knows its not a pleosaur its a giant eel and a giant eel would be what the chinese were decribing too when they talked about dragons

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    you know what lads those chinese dragons sound like the sea monsters we got in ireland and scotland that live in lakes and bogs and what not from the description
    like lochness for example everyone from around there knows its not a pleosaur its a giant eel and a giant eel would be what the chinese were decribing too when they talked about dragons
    Not actually.

Chinese dragons are not limited to one form.
    The entire mythos surrounding them is certainly not derived from giant eel sightings.

Dragons are used to describe any number of otherwise mysterious natural events (thunderstorms, volcanos, floods, rivers, etc etc etc.)

Dragons are seen as the creator beings of many asian peoples as well as others.

Dragons are metaphor in many cases and have little if anything to do with the objective reality.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

thats a great quote by stephen roberts dj
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    thats a great quote by stephen roberts dj
    Stephen F. Roberts to be precise. Yeah I thought it was interesting and was humanist in it's view more than anything.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

its also a great source for a witty retort when being hassled by thumpers
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    its also a great source for a witty retort when being hassled by thumpers
    it's easier to stick out your tongue, raise the horns and say praise satan while approaching them menacingly.

they'll rebuke you, then run away.

thumpers are idiots, so no harm done in creeping them out. They creep me out anyway.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

lol true. most probably wouldnt be able to process the intellectual aspect of that statement anyhow. they would just be like 'YOU"LL BURN IN HELLFIRE"

What is there to burn?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

dragon whatever looks like is already deep seated in the culture of many lands.

talking about giant eels. One of my college mate runs an eel farm and gained quite a wealth.

the bones are not too messy, there are no scales to remove, easily cooked and flavored.

there are many eel restaurants in Taiwan, the menus are in pages with all sorts of way of eating the eels.

sauted, steamed, fried, with sesame seeds ---- eel soup, --

oh they taste like snake.

--

ttt 4 2015!

I'm not exactly sure why this is in the qigong forum, but this is our least active one, so it can stay here.

Look: Photos of dragon-shaped river in Portugal hit Chinese internet, netizens share away in hopes of great fortune

This river in Portugal, which vaguely resembles a dragon from one angle, has been getting a lot of attention on Chinese social media.

An image of the Odeleite Reservoir, also known as the Blue Dragon river, was snapped by Reddit user "docious", while on a flight from Amsterdam to Marrakech. When the photo found its way onto Chinese social media later in the day it was shared more than 30,000 times in under 10 hours with netizens hoping for a little dragon-fueled fortune to come flying their way.

People in China obviously have a clear idea of what a dragon should look like. The mythological creature is an auspicious emblem and can be a symbol of power, strength and good luck. Historically it was the pattern chosen to be worn by emperors and its history dates back more than a millennia.

Perhaps this coincidental sighting will bring great fortune to Portugal in form of a flood of Chinese tourists cascading onto the Blue Dragon river. Which would be nice for a country that intends to pay the IMF 16 billion euros next year to complete its EU bailout repayments.

by Daniel Cunningham

[Images via CCTV}
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

FYI I have seen dragons before such as in the clouds. one of the most remembered dragon-like creature I saw was carved from granite stone in the American NorthEast (or rather, the depiction of a similar creature in that region as understood by people long ago). Pics:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4YDtSrPRma...600/ada25B.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AfqT8_V5Tq...1600/ada25.jpg

edit: it may not be too clear in the pic but the stone deity had stone offerings placed in it's open, gaping mouth.

edit 2: here is a more modern depiction of a horned-serpent from the American SouthEast (in this case Creek)-

http://lostworlds.org/wordpress/wp-c...oe_2008_02.jpg
    Last edited by MarathonTmatt; 09-15-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Wait...a winged dragon in China?

Follow the link to the vid. My issue with this is that Chinese dragons don't have wings. But still, the vid is kinda cool.

Is this proof dragons exist? Footage appears claiming to show mythical beast flying over Chinese mountain range - but is it all as it seems?

Mysterious footage has surfaced showing a 'dragon' flying over China
    The mobile phone vision has sparked a fierce social media debate
    Some viewers were captivated but others were less convinced
    The clip has been viewed almost over a million times on YouTube

By NELSON GROOM FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
    PUBLISHED: 09:27 EST, 22 October 2016 | UPDATED: 10:23 EST, 22 October 2016

Mysterious footage has surfaced showing a 'dragon' flying across a mountain range in China.
    The vision, uploaded to YouTube, appears to show the mythical creature soaring over rugged mountains on the border of China and Laos.
    The mobile phone video has sparked a fierce social media debate, with some viewers stunned but others were less convinced.

Mysterious footage has surfaced showing a 'dragon' flying across a mountain range in China
    Is this proof the mythical dragon still lives among us?

Dragons are legendary creatures in Chinese folklore, leading many to believe the footage is authentic.
    The clip, uploaded by ApexTV, has been viewed over a million times and met with a range of comments.
    'Creatures that were as myth and legend are about to become real again,' wrote one commenter.
    But others cast doubt on the credibility of the footage, claiming the focus on the camera gives it away.

The vision appears to show the mythical creature soaring over rugged mountains on the border of China and Laos

The mobile phone video has sparked a fierce social media debate, with some viewers captivated but others were less convinced

'It's a cell phone device camera, so it's pan focused and can't focus on particular object,' wrote one commenter.
    Others speculated whether the footage was in fact part of a scientific conspiracy theory involving drones.
    'I've read some articles about how scientists and engineers have combined knowledge and discovered the natural movement and aerodynamics of a bird so perhaps they have tried to replicate it on a machine,' the user wrote.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Looks like a NightWing to me.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

"...it beared (sic) amazing resemblance to either a pterodactyl or a DRAY-GUN..."

Lol

Greetings,

I saw one a few weeks before Hurricane Sandy. It flew straight up from the earth to the sky, like a flicker of blue flame, with a slight undulation. It was very large and definitely not three dimensional. The shape made me think of the suggested drawings about how the inhabitant(s) of Loch Ness looked. I did not flip at the sight of it. I remember thinking, "So, that is what a dragon looks like!". I went on with my day.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-24-2016 at 12:56 PM.