Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why is there no contemporary wushu forum ?

Mano Mano, have an open mind

Also reread my 8th post on this thread:
    I think traditionalists are really going to like it.
    I mean that. When you see it on the newsstand in a month, you'll see what I mean. Trust me, I know what I'm doing here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    Gene
    I’ve seen a lot of contemporary wushu over the years here in the UK & I’ m not convinced about the wushu one size fits all.
    I’d rather do, watch or read about any martial arts that are based on practical technique rather than Beijing Opera.
    I’ve been a CLF practitioner for more years that I’d admit to for instance I’d rather watch two high level Wing Chun practitioners doing chi sao to some very boring to watch, but really interesting when you see them controlling & programming where their their opponents next move is going to be.

What about this?

What if I got some leading figures in the wushu world to renounce modern wushu?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    May be, may be not.
    If its on the stand I might have a look but guarantee of a sale.
    Last edited by Mano Mano; 08-28-2006 at 09:53 AM.

5 bucks says mano mano at least reads it if not buys it.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

As long as he looks...

...and for the record, there's plenty of other articles that are traditionally-oriented in this upcoming issue. There's only two features that focus on wushu (although one is the cover story) and two news items, but the rest of it is solid traditional. I'm looking forward to your reactions, as always.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Something has been bothering me about MA magazines. I used to read them more, but in recent (okay, past 10 or so) years haven't really bought them much.

It's the format ... with the Internet you can view videos really quickly, download stuff and no problem. But with a print magazine you can't really do that, sure you can read it on the bus or train or something but you have to hop on the Internet to try to find their sites.

It seems like what would be really useful would be an e-zine like you have, but instead totally mimicking the content of the print magazine, so you can go to the e-zine version and read the articles, click on videos and all of that.

Well, the e-zine is where it's at

It used to be that our print magazine supported our e-zine, but those tables have turned and continue to turn for the world of print publishing. Magazines are a dying media. E-zines are constantly growing. Why do you think I spend so much time on the forum? Ok, I know, shirking work just like the rest of you. Seriously though, there's nothing more gratifying than seeing our forum come out above someone's 'official' site on a google or yahoo search.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Unhappy in a while ......

i wont be able to by my beloved kfm eventually then
    nothing to collect
    nothing to read on the bus or the train nothing to cut out and stick on my wall nothing to stick in my scrap book

im sad now
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Can you get it in print in the UK ? I find that Martial Arts Illustrated is too full of scantily clad ladies and big tough guys for my liking!

We have limited Europeon distribution - very limited

This whole "I'm not buying the next issue because it has wushu in it" is a remarkable demonstration of close-mindedness, the kind that is killing martial arts now. Or perhaps, it's an example of how poorly some people read the forum. Well, there's a lot of noise here, so I can't say I blame them for that. I don't read it that carefully myself. I think if you do, it would rot your mind.

But just for discussion's sake (this is a discussion forum after all) let's go back to my last few posts. I said it had a lot of wushu in it. I also said "I think traditionalists are really going to like it" and "some leading figures in the wushu world to renounce modern wushu". Now, given those statements, one could imply that this is presentation on wushu is not a pro-wushu article. One might even imply that these said features are anti-wushu. I also said
    ...and for the record, there's plenty of other articles that are traditionally-oriented in this upcoming issue. There's only two features that focus on wushu (although one is the cover story) and two news items, but the rest of it is solid traditional. I'm looking forward to your reactions, as always.
    I'm not looking forward to reactions of people who don't bother to engage the mag just because there might be negative wushu articles in it. That's just absurd. Has your rejection of modern wushu become so absolute that you will deny anything that mentions wushu at all? Think before you answer this because it might be a trick question. It might be a trap.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

yeah we do get it here

it comes out far too late but we d get it i plan like a month in advance when im going to get it lol
    i think wushu has its place alongside trad martial arts and wushu is based in traditional so maybe through wushu we can get a better understanding of our own arts people are so set in there ways that they cant see that wushu has alot to offer the martial arts community
    why do u think people are so afraid of wushu ?

Where can you get it from in the North West/Lancashire?

Talking i live in manchester

i can get it all over oldham and greater manchester it stays on the shelf for along time u can probably get it in leeds i think the ppl that distribute it are called comag so look that up u have a good chance of finding it in chain news agents (not whsmith tho)
    id travel to buy it its worth it

Nice to know we're reaching the UK

We're actually distributed in some 40+ countries, although some of those places only get a few dozens issues. Foreign distribution of American publications is quite bizarre. I get semi-weekly reports on how each issue is doing and on some of them, there's this little catagory for foreign. That number is pretty stable. What it means (as in where those issues go) is quite a mystery.

For the record, Canada is not considered part of foreign distribution. It's in a catagory all by itself and we do quite well there, which always amazes me since we can't ship staffs to Canada.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips