Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: why is there no contemporary wushu forum ?

magazine

i think u should start promoting it more in the uk
    u would do better than the other publications here most of which have an obsession with mma, kickboxing and new martial arts fads
    plus there are thousands of us kung fu ppl here (especially in manchester where there is a massive chinese community there are more cma clubs here than any other martial art that i know of (muay thai is very popular here also) and ur magazine is better written than anything here also
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    I'm not looking forward to reactions of people who don't bother to engage the mag just because there might be negative wushu articles in it. That's just absurd. Has your rejection of modern wushu become so absolute that you will deny anything that mentions wushu at all? Think before you answer this because it might be a trick question. It might be a trap.
    I don't deny anything that mentions wushu, I just believe the wushu authorities in China have the agenda that every thing to do with Chinese martial arts has to be standardized, done their way whether it has martial value or not.
    If you want a good meal do you go to your nearest McDonalds same standard burger in every country around the world or to the good little family restaurant on the corner with the excellent cook.

The thing that bothers me about modern wushu is lots of teachers from China want to get paid for just teaching forms. And they are clueless of the applications of the forms.

That being said, I recently got a video of Helen Liang and she is very good. Is it just wushu? Well, they don't cover the applications of the form, so I guess it is just wushu.

That being said, she does a pretty good job with the form, and there is a certain grace to her execution. She's also not too bad looking, and she puts on a good performance. Which is pretty amazing considering she had cancer and all.

Anyway, I wouldn't dispose of a magazine just because it had wushu in it. The only reason I don't subscribe to the magazine is because I don't want to get on the mailing list and receive another ton of junk mail.

Traditionalists are really going to like it

Here's the cover story of our latest issue, the one on wushu that I said the traditionalists might enjoy.

Where Wushu Went Wrong
    Wushu's Leading Champion, Zhao Changjun, Extols Traditional

Another piece in the NOV DEC 2006 in a similar vein is Wushu's New Difficulties: American Wushu Pioneer Master Bryant Fong Speaks Out.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Northern Kung Fu forum

My idea would be to have a Northern Kung Fu forum. Sure, we have a Shaolin forum, but allot of Northern styles don't fit there so they are stuck in the main forum (although some people do put non-Shaolin northern styles in the Shaolin forum). My idea would be to change the name of the Shaolin forum to the "Northern and Shaolin Kung Fu forum" or something along those lines. Makes things easier.
    That's my two cents.
    Last edited by The Xia; 09-27-2006 at 11:12 PM.

cool article

very nice lookin forward to the mag this month havnt got it yet
    maybe we could have a nanquan / southern weapons division in the southern chinese kung fu forum and a a long fist/ other wushu styles in a northern forum or the kung fu forum ?
    just a suggestion what do u reckon gene
    nice one for the article
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

No new forums for now

A big thing with making a new forum would be to move all the related old threads into the new one. That would be a lot of work. Moving threads is easy, but digging through the archives takes time. Maybe some day we'll so some reorganizing but it's way on the backburner.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I don't feel we necessarily need a new forum for Northern Kung Fu. Just changing the name of the Shaolin forum to the "Northern and Shaolin Kung Fu forum" would work.

**** dave relax a bit man.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Tony Chen a wushu player? You sure about that? Maybe he has a handle on the compulsory curriculum as a lot of trad teachers do these days.

Anyway, I percieved it as a jab becasue of the terseness of how it was written. It reads as a snide comment really.

No peeing contest at all, just pointing out that wushu is not the main body of the magazine over the years and if it gets weighed up, it's mostly trad stuff and not contemporary wushu focused although I would say that it is probably the only magazine where you will find props given to contemporary players.

they deserve exposure too seeing as technically they are under the banner of Chinese martial arts.

age has little to do with what's observable and a lot to do with perception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Does anyone know why the (should SD have it's owm forum) thread has been locked

First it was moved from the KF forum then locked is there something I'm missing??

I didn't notice any flaming on this thread and not even a warning from Jean or a moderator.

I don't mean to hi jack this thread but the two seem to have a similar question.

Gene probably wanted to confine all Shaolin Do talk to the main Shaolin Do thread on the Shaolin forum.
    Wow that's three Shaolins in one sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    Gene probably wanted to confine all Shaolin Do talk to the main Shaolin Do thread on the Shaolin forum.
    Wow that's three Shaolins in one sentence.
    HMMMM I understand but why have it moved to this forum then locked??
    The conversations on this thread were pretty generic, in fact the last page was about preying mantis.

I think there are evil forces at work here

Good point...

My answer to that would be it's because Gene's new Shaolin Do policy was enacted after the thread was moved. So the rules changed. I guess we'll have to wait for Gene to answer. I wonder what he'll say about these alleged evil forces!

HMMMM I can only wonder

The poll has angered them, as we approach sam hain and the fabric between the realm of the living and the realm of the dead draws thinner, they will come.

They will come.