Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: why is there no contemporary wushu forum ?

i'l bet

can we get back to wushu now ?
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

The Xia is right

He must have actually read what I posted on that thread. I drew a line in the sand about the course of the discussion limiting it to new forum possibilities. That line was crossed so the thread was locked.

We've been having more complaints about issues with Shaolin Do lately (mostly bruised egos *in both camps*) so in order to contain it for the time being, we're limiting the discussion to that mammoth thread on the Shaolin forum. It's the biggest, most active thread on the forum. What more do you want?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Talking what do i want ?

well a wushu forum for 1 lol
    but u lot knew that already lol

I wouldnt mind icecream...

i know where this is goin

dont dsatrt askin for random stuff ppl
    lets keep it to the topic
    i could use ice cream tho

No offense dude, but do you think Gene is suddenly going to relent, admit its all a lie, and create a forum for wushu?

The question has been asked and answered. Repeating the question does little but burn bandwidth and therefore put KFM ultimately ****her from the goal of being able to host more forums. If you want to take a proactive approach I would suggest you do some creative thinking and come up ideas to make the proposition of a general wushu forum a more attractive one from the point of view of the staff, i would be lying to say i think it would work, but theres nothing against trying.

Furthermore, where is my ice cream?

fair point

i'm going to leave this thread till someone comes up with something better to say

I abstain from ice cream as part of my Buddhist vows...

...ok, actually it's because I'm lactose intolerant.

I'm actually into the idea of running a contemporary wushu forum personally, although there's no way we could match Jiayo. In my best case fantasy scenario, Jiayo gets too big for their current administration to handle and they turn it over to us. We'd be happy to host it keeping the same moderators. I'd like to do a northern forum too. Maybe someday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Talking i'l pray for the day

but i'm buddhist so i dont feel the need

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    He must have actually read what I posted on that thread. I drew a line in the sand about the course of the discussion limiting it to new forum possibilities. That line was crossed so the thread was locked.

We've been having more complaints about issues with Shaolin Do lately (mostly bruised egos *in both camps*) so in order to contain it for the time being, we're limiting the discussion to that mammoth thread on the Shaolin forum. It's the biggest, most active thread on the forum. What more do you want?
    Sorry Jean didn't mean to upset you but as a traditionalist I have an intrest in keeping the Kung Fu in Kung Fu.

I see your point about debating about SD on their thread but I prefer more of a nutral playing field.

After all the SD thread is a private thread, you know for SD people only. Why bother debating on that thread. Anyway you know what I mean.

There are no private threads on this forum

If there were, you wouldn't see them, because they would be private. We do have a function to set up private threads, but we don't use it. The forum is only neutral for people of no opinion. The whole point of it is to discuss and debate. Unfortunately, few members here have good debating skills and like most open forums, we're lousy with trolls, but that's part of the game.

We've been having a lot of complaints about Shaolin Do discussions. In reaction to this, I've contained the discussion to that thread for the time being. I do beleive that the validity of Shaolin Do is an interesting debate but people tend to get so emotional and/or drag in all sorts of personal attacks. That has to be monitored and the easiest way for us to monitor it is to contain it. The next option is to start banning, locking and deleting, but people seem to be playing nice for now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Question who ?

would u say has good debating skills on here
    wait scratch that who s the best poster would u say gene ?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sunfist View Post
    No offense dude, but do you think Gene is suddenly going to relent, admit its all a lie, and create a forum for wushu?

The question has been asked and answered. Repeating the question does little but burn bandwidth and therefore put KFM ultimately ****her from the goal of being able to host more forums. If you want to take a proactive approach I would suggest you do some creative thinking and come up ideas to make the proposition of a general wushu forum a more attractive one from the point of view of the staff, i would be lying to say i think it would work
    well okay how many people train in both wushu and trad
    how many people like to mess about with wushu jumps and tricks
    how many like to use the same sort of flair in thair performances e.g. dramatic head turning and posing and such
    what about the new training methods developed for wushu but equally applicable anywhere else e.g. jiang ban juns smart bomb article with his own stretching and technique advice and his superb analysis of xubu ( which i found extremely useful thanx for that )
    further more how many people on here do other arts which arent even chinese martial arts they get there own forum
    then why not trad kung fu's closest cousin ?

also think of the debates that could happen there for instance arguments about communist china's support for wushu

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    If there were, you wouldn't see them, because they would be private. We do have a function to set up private threads, but we don't use it. The forum is only neutral for people of no opinion. The whole point of it is to discuss and debate. Unfortunately, few members here have good debating skills and like most open forums, we're lousy with trolls, but that's part of the game.

We've been having a lot of complaints about Shaolin Do discussions. In reaction to this, I've contained the discussion to that thread for the time being. I do beleive that the validity of Shaolin Do is an interesting debate but people tend to get so emotional and/or drag in all sorts of personal attacks. That has to be monitored and the easiest way for us to monitor it is to contain it. The next option is to start banning, locking and deleting, but people seem to be playing nice for now.
    Hi Jean, I was only kidding about the SD thread being private and I believe that Ingcao's thread about SD was done in jest. No harm no foul but I understand your position.

As far as debate goes I can see how some discussions can get realy heated. I don't think that anyone was realy serious about an SD forum infact I spoke to several members of this little community and everyone was happy to bring some SD people out of their thread to the Kung Fu forum so that the topic could be discussed more objectively.

I as many other bewildered Kung Fu people stumbled onto the SD tread tittled IS SD real??? I found myself dealing with very angry devout SD people and then I gave up and left even though I felt I conducted my self with restraint and poise.

To ask guys/ gals to go debate on the SD thead is like trying to convince a suicide bomber that their are no virgins awaiting them in heaven. It's simply a waste of time to debate on a thread that might as well be private.

I understand that you have a magazine to run and the bottom line is important but like said before I'm a traditionalist like others and I have an interest in keeping the Kung Fu in Kung Fu.

I also understand that traditional Kung Fu is like a like a small drop in a sea of popular MA. Quite frankly Their are more of them then there are of us and when it comes to magazine sales well let say I get the point.

golden arhat: To quote Rosanne Rosannadana, 'you ask a lotta questions'. But for fun, I'll answer:
    - The best poster is relative to the subject and I'm not about to go giving out titles here. Not my job. The good debaters are also a matter of opinion. To me, they're self evident, but that's just my opinion. If I was to endorse anyone, I'd acknowledge all our moderators and our writers.

- The line between traditional and modern wushu is very grey. It's like distinguishing black people from white people. Sure, there are definitely people that are easy to characterize, but there are so many mixes. Only the simple minded draw lines here and I find most racists and separatists to be very simple minded. But speaking of JBJ, did you read the accompanying e-zine article? Check out Right Under Your Nose All Along by Nargis Fontaine
    One thing most traditionalists don't consider is that there is a longstanding tradition for performance CMA like modern wushu, not only in Peking Opera, but also within the Jianghu. Flamboyant, non-combat moves have been with us for centuries within traditional martial arts. And it's always been an issue - you can look at centuries-old criticisms of the state of martial arts and you hear the same thing. So the line traditionalists should draw really isn't the separation of traditional vs. modern. It's more of combat vs. dance. Combat will always be there because humans will always love to fight. Dance will always be there because humans will always aspire to art. Personally, I think the argument is a waste of breath... but it does sell magazines...

- We actually inherited this forum from Steve Creel and Kung Fu Online. Maintaining a forum of this size can get expensive. There are server fees and IT wages. He couldn't afford to keep it, so we took it over. Steve set up the original forum based on his interest, which is why we have a Mantis forum. When we took it over, we didn't want to disrupt the community that was already here (it was part of the agreement with Steve) so we only added a few forums such as this TC Media forum, the TCM forum and maybe another. It was a while ago. I can't really remember the details.

Green Cloud: Why do you keep calling me Jean? I'm not french or a girl.
    The SD forum suggestion came when the SD wars were troublesome, so I transferred it to this forum, since I think the topic of new forums belongs here. We get new forum suggestions every once in a while, and like the SD issues, I like to keep them in one place.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips