Thread: Schools in Orlando

Schools in Orlando

I might be relocating there next year, and was interested in finding a good martial art schools out there, specifically grappling and KF. I only know of the Wah Lum temple.

Marcio Simas is the way to go for grappling. It's downtown Orlando on Colonial. Din Thomas also has a place on the westside.

For Kung Fu there are 2 Wah Lum schools, Lo Lee's Whushu and Taiji, Tracey's Shaolin in Longwood. There's also Glen Wilson's Pai Lum in south Orlando. A White Dragon Pai Lum school in Longwood, a Shaolin-Do school in Longwood.

I'll dig up some links and contact info for you. Just let me kow what part of town you'll be in and I'll help you out.

Cool, thanks alot! I don't know which part of Orlando, I'll be at, but I don't mind traveling for a good school.Of the KF school, which have a reputation for developing good fighters? Also, I had heard there were some real good WC schools there. Any Hsing-Yi or Bak Mei?

Wing Chun - Darrell Jorden
    http://www.vingtsun.cc/

Shaolin - Tracy Fleming
    http://www.shaolinassociation.com/

Wushu - Lou Li
    http://www.learnwushu.com/

BJJ/MMA - Marcio Simas
    http://www.marciosimas.com/

A good central point for for your search is East Coast Martial Arts Supply on Colonial in downtown Orlando. It's across the street from Marcio's.

You can find flyers for local schools there plus they know just about everyone around town in the business.

I came across a JKD school on the internet, it's the Jeet Kune Do Institute. Has anyone heard much about this school, and it's rep?

There's a JKD teacher here but he closed his school a couple of years ago and I think he's just teaching a few people privately. I'll track him down and find out if you're interested.

Greetings..

I'm not sure if he's still teaching.. but Troy Provenzano is well-trained and certified for JKD, Muay Thai, NHB, Escrima, and is one of Wah Lum's original "Dream Team".. i have partnered with Troy in a school that is now closed, but he may be teaching privately.. i will try to contact him..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Hey Bob, am I missing anyone? I haven't kept up with things around town so I might be missing some good teachers. Tell Troy I said hello. I wish I'd had the time to get down to your school and pick up some stick fighting when it was open. That's something I really want to learn. It just looks like fun.

There's also a JKD guy named Tim Motter that's doing an indie film called Wheel of Heaven. A couple of friends of mine are producing. I don't know if he has a school or not.

Is that Xing Yi still going on downtown?

Greetings..

Hi Dave: I don't know, really.. Wong went back to China, maybe one of his students is keeping it going.. Jeff is keeping the Taiji going, though.. good pushing skills, and good taiji/fighting skills..

How's life, brother? come down to a meet-up sometime.. after dinner we are going over to my current school and playing around a bit.. nice to play with different styles.. How's Big Mike? haven't heard from him in like, forever..

Keep in touch and, .. Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

I haven't been to the website in awhile, when's the next meet-up? Been meaning to get with you guys and try some push hands.

It doesn't really interest me that much but I should at least get a little hands on experience with it. I've only tried it once and that was on a train to Zhenghzhou and drinking Mo Tai. Now that's a challenge, drunken push hands on a moving train.

Mike's still doing CLF, has a couple acres down in Kissimmee and teaches a few students in his back yard.

This is the JKD Institue I came across on the net. Headed by Richard Bustillo

Heres the website

www.jkdinstitute.com

Yep, there's Tim. He had a school in Casselberry years back but closed. I auditioned for his indie film when he first tried to get it off the ground but I'm way too white for the storyline and couldn't fit me in anywhere. Looks like he's picked up some investors since then and the film might just happen now.

Anyhow, when I clicked on instructors and read who he's trained with it reminded that Jacky Tsang has a Wing Chun school down in south Orlando. I can't vouch for Jacky's skill but he's a good guy and he trained under Moy Yat for many years.

Dang, I need to get out and make the rounds.

I noticed when you were chatting with TaiChiBob, you said something about Xing Yi being downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Apprentice View Post
    I noticed when you were chatting with TaiChiBob, you said something about Xing Yi being downtown?
    No longer, he went back to China. Don't know if he has any plans of coming back

Whats your thoughts on the JKD school?