Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tae Kwon Do

Hybrid View

Kairo Guest

What's everyones thoughts on Tae Kwon Do?

Whats ur thoughts on TKD? Good points? Bad points?
    Lemme know.
    Thanks for ur time,
    k.

ewallace Guest

TKD

Great for sport/cardio. I don't think that it is very good self-defense art. Just my .02

- Eric

Victory goes to he who makes the next-to-last mistake.

Shaolindynasty Guest

Tae Kwon Do?

Maybe a little underated by martial artists and a little over rated by the general public. I think TKD could be good for self defense if you had the right teacher.

New classes New online Catalog
    www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

David Guest
    I have always been of the opinion that Western Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do were "youngsters sports" until I had a long talk with a TKD man whilst visiting friends a couple of weeks ago.

By "youngsters sports" I mean that once you've passed your physical prime, you deteriorate, can't keep up etc. Then, like in any normal sport, you can become a manager or a trainer, training new students who can basically whip your ass.

Talking to this guy, though changed that: he knows about TKD masters in their late years kicking the asses of the younger guys. He really believed he had long term growth within the style and enthused about it like I do my kungfu. His son is following in his father's footsteps, too.

In discussing aspects of our styles, he readily admitted that his was more sport oriented and he would definitely be worried about taking on a CMA in the street or even sparring. Kungfu "grabs" was the first thing he mentioned in this context - he fights with clenched fists. He was also seriously doubtful that his kicks would "cut the mustard".

On every aspect of fighting, the kungfu had more to offer and a corresponding lengthening of learning time requirements. He did say though, that as you get older with TKD, subtle moves and adjustments which come from experience make the fighter increasingly versatile and able. Fair comment that obviously applies to kungfu, too.

It was a good talk and I, for one, went away with a greater respect of the other's style.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
    -- Hong Kong Phooey

atsai Guest
    why don't you get yourself some coffee and donut then search the archive--before they go down w/ the ship.

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art Tsai " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

LEGEND Guest
    Great SPORT...great for cardio and flexibility...limitation for the OLD though...not street relistic.
    There are KOREAN masters that can fight but they use HEADBUTTING and HARD strikes( ridge hands etc.. ). I have not really seen the various high kicks used with success in any street fight.
    Only other NEGATIVE is how they run there business...most instructors do not teach...they usually sit in their office only coming up to sell a product to visitors. Kinda BS since they advertised learn from a WORLD CHAMP.

A

shaolinboxer Guest
    There are many styles of TKD. That's like asking, what do you think of kung fu?

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
    - Cat

wu_de36 Guest

not for old guys...

yeah right. Ask Jhoon Rhee.

ExitusDeorum Guest

Good post!

I agree with what your friend says, Dave.

Me and a few of my martial arts buddies get together every week at college to train together and quite a few of them do TKD, which is very popular here in the midlands.

With my 'poncey' 7 Star Techniques, I've found that I tend to be far more aggressive and adaptable when facing them in sparring. But this does not at all deter them from their style, implying that there must be something to keep the students in training! :)

From what I've seen of TKD, it looks like great fun, athletic and motivating, instilling discipline and respect for other - a true Martial Way!

"Cry shamefully and let loose the turnips of war!"

Robinf Guest
    Studying Taekwondo for going on 8 years, I'll put in my actual knowledge.

TKD is every bit as good for self-defense as everything else, except for the short coming of there being no ground fighting--then you'd have to rely on instincts or cross training.

What everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, sees of TKD is the Olympic sport sparring, which can be used for self-defense if that's what you practice. BUT, TKD has as many hand techniques, traps, blocks, throws, etc. as well as foot techniques as it needs to be perfectly effective for self-defense that aren't used in Sport Sparring.

As ShoalinDynasty mentioned, you have to find the right teacher. Far too many teachers only teach the sport sparring and the forms are taught as, I don't know what. The forms are actually to help teach the self-defense (as kung fu uses forms), along with two-person drills, sparring (self-defense), etc.

That is my knowlege of Taekwondo. I'm not the end all be all of knowledge on Taekwondo, but at least I have a solid base for my opinion.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

gazza99 Guest
    "TKD is every bit as good for self-defense as everything else, except for the short coming of there being no ground fighting--then you'd have to rely on instincts or cross training."

I totally DISagree with the above, TKD has to be the least effective style for self defense that I have seen!! Its a great sport/excersize, but from what ive seen the combat applications are very lacking. But hey I havent seen everyone, but I have yet to meet a TKD guy who could fight well, many will even admit they had to move to another style to learn to defend themselves.
    Gary

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
    www.pressurepointfighting.com

Buhma Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But hey I havent seen everyone, but I have yet to meet a TKD guy who could fight well, many will even admit they had to move to another style to learn to defend themselves.
    [/quote]

Yeah that happened to me....but with Kung Fu. I had to go to BJJ and Muy Thai to really learn to defend myself. By the way, I was in Wing Chun for quite awhile.

As for the effectiveness of TKD...I consider it in the same league as CMA. As Robin said it is just as effective/ineffective as any other stand up only style.

<hr>
    If ya ain't got the skills, I will take you out!

Dark Knight Guest
    TKD needs to add to its hands training. my biggest complaint about TKD is its common for the instructors to lie to the students about other styles to build thier own...

Some of my favorites
    "All martial arts came from TKD"
    "The reason a TKD guy has never won is because no one ever kicked full power at a UFC"
    "Ju-Jitsu guys have never seen a roundhouse kick before, they wouldnt know how to handle one"

And the list goes on.

ewallace Guest

TKD #2

One of my biggest gripes against TKD, as well as some other martial arts, is the emphasis put on belts and rank. On one hand, they are great for setting goals and measuring progress. On the other hand, I personnally do not believe a 10 year old kid should hold a black belt. In a way, that can give a false sense of security to that child. 10 years old is when a child can begin to understand the concepts of internal power as opposed to raw power. I fully agree it depends on the style of TKD and the instructor. But the majority of what I have seen of TKD is focus on tournament fighting, as well as high kicking, spinning and leaving vital targets open to attack. Granted, if you practice any style for 8 or 10 years you are going to be a decent martial artist. But in a real street confrontation with a skilled fighter, especially a fighter with the same amount of experience in say wing chun, san soo or Bagau, I don't think the TKD fighter will stand much of a chance.

- Eric

Victory goes to he who makes the next-to-last mistake.

MonkeySlap Too Guest
    I don't think about it.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.