Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tae Kwon Do

Johnny Hot Shot Guest

TKD

Is great for Kicks but I think it's only effecive as self defence if you are Really good or you crostrain with another art that focuses on hands or grapling. Ie. TKD/Wing Chun or TKD/BJJ

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
    Jacko Jackson

Aramus Guest

TKD

Here in Ohio, TKD is big as in there are lots of schools. There are also seem to be more tournments, competitions, seminars about TKD as well.

I had a conversation about TKD from a guy who studied a few forms and competed in a variety of tournaments. He said, "kenpo may be more effective, you probably can kick my ass. However, when it comes down to movies and such, Who do you think they will hire?" I think TKD is wonderful martial art for conditioning and kicking. I think it has a certain flare and draw to it. I've seen it used two times with exceptional effectiveness. Both times the TKD guy dropped his attacker with well placed rapid fire kicks. The fight never made it to fist or cinch range. However, both guys new how to street fight before that.

Ralek Guest
    I would have to say that TKD is far more effective than chinese martial arts. Chinese martial arts tend to do even more forms than TKD!!! And chinese martial arts do less sparring and less contact than TKD!!!

TKD sucks big time. TKD is a joke. But what's really sad is the fact there exsists something even less effective than TKD...... kung fu.

I am the Grand Ultimate Fist

Ralek Guest
    My opinion is based on actual experience. I have destroyed a taijiquan instructor in a challenge match. The word taijiquan means "grand ultimate fist" or "grand Ultimate style". So taijiquan is supposedly the best traditional kung fu stlye. So if this is the best kung fu then kung fu really sucks.

TKD the real street lethal!!!!!!!!

I am the Grand Ultimate Fist

nospam Guest
    :eek:

nospam.

qeySuS Guest
    Btw i dont see your problem with young black belts, it's not like they are considdered ADULT black belts, they get a kids black belt (you have to be 16 in WTF TKD to get a "real" black belt). F.x. i train in WTF TKD and there's a kid there who's been practicing for about 4-5 years, he's 11 now and he's just amazing, he's got great kicks, sparrs a lot and usually trains with the adults. He's got great speed for his size and he knows more about TKD then most adults. Why shouldnt he be a black belt in TKD? He's not a black belt yet but next week when we go out to USA to compete, him and one of my teachers will take their black belt test.

Personally i've have no problem bowing to him as i would to any other black belt (not sure how the etiquette is with kid black belts).

Btw i'm sticking with TKD for a simple reason, the highest ranked BB in my Dojang is incredible, dont get me wrong i'm not saying he'll be competing in UFC or some, but this guy creates power for his kicks SO quickly and with so little space, that's not something i see in Muay Thai or whatever, they usually take a BIG swing. And as you can hear i want to get there as well :)

Free thinkers are dangerous!

Ralek Guest
    Taekwondo fighters tend to dominate kung fu stylists in street fights. Taekwondo will better prepare you for street combat as they do more sparring and less forms than kung fu.

TKD the real street lethal!!!!

gazza99 Guest

shut up rolls

Your trolling attempts should be less obvious Ralek, go back to your video games and save your attempt at intellectual conversation for your blow up goat.

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
    www.pressurepointfighting.com

Ralek Guest
    Gary. There is no need to lose your composure. I am just exercising my first amendmant right. My opinion of taijiquan is based on the fact that i easily KO'd a taijiquan instructor with smooth boxing skills.

TKD the real street lethal!!!!

JasBourne Guest
    Gaw****, Ralek, you're actually getting funny with your trolls - "demolished" now, is it? Last week it was "hit", I'm sure next week it will be "hospitalized". Poor tai chi guy is showing you a yang style movement and you rabbit punch him. Thanx for the laff, Grand Ultimate Fish :D

TKD - did it for a year, wasn't for me. Perhaps I didn't find a good teacher, there are so many McDojos out there...

gazza99 Guest

LOL

Rolls,
    I havent lost my composure, my insults are in pure friendly jest, not anger. Your to funny to accually offend me.
    I also agree that many taijijquan teachers cannot fight well, but you cannot judge the whole art based on one experiance, especially when taiji is now known for its health benifits more than anything, and many teachers are not even interested in the martial, and those that are most likely have limited knowledge.
    later
    Gary

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
    www.pressurepointfighting.com

kwokfist Guest
    it depends. if you learn traditional TKD under a good instructor, its a good self-defense. if you learn modern TKD with a good instructor, its not the best. If you learn non-traditional sports TKD, you're going to be a POWERFUL agressor, but your defense will be ****ty.

trust me. I know like 5 korean tkd stylists who are totally bad-ass even with only 2 years of experience and they can totally crush anything, but once you get on their case, they crumble.

shog Guest

Ralek, et al...

I have been corrected in regards to fighting style by an Internalist...and could even be corrected by others...that is one point that helps support the fact that it is about people and not styles....

Prior to being corrected myself, and even now, I have to re-train TKD (having privately studied off and on for over 20 years)students, and many other External or Hard styles as to better fighting methods...

There is nothing wrong with the style, just the way the individuals are being taught to fight or move or fall or block, etc...many times they come to me and say that earning rank no longer counts (this is the older people who practice both TKD and Karate based systems I am referring to now, ranging anywhere from white belt up to black belt) or that what they do does not reflect the true fighter that they know they can be.

This is a sad point people, but nonetheless, the style is still the most popular next to Taijiquan or rather T'ai Ch'i(since most of them do not practice the striking methods properly, if at all).

...so Ralek, to say your opinion is based upon 1 fight against a [Taijiquan]--probably just a Tai'Chi Instructor in all reality rather than a legitimate Fighting Taijiquan Instructor(there are different flavors of Taijiquan out there...do not be fooled by imitations, for if a person does not teach the complete system of Original Yang, then they are not the real thing in regards to Real Taijiquan)

...if you were to use the scientific method, along with simple statistics, then you would have to pool together at least 100 instructors from the Original Yang style(not anything else), and then at least 50 of each of their highest ranking students (this gives you a good sample size)...and then if your margin of error was at .05, and you won 97 percent of all the matches, then perhaps (though not specifically --even at this point) one could say that you are better than the average Taijiquan practitioner...

This still would not reflect on the style itself...

It just proves that you are a better fighter, or that they were not...

Since the techniques used could have been from any source, and the training methods would have varied, and the personal attitudes would have been different in regards to challenge matches, and so on...

The variables in this case quickly add up, and turn out to be too numerous -- to just include into a broad statement of if you horse-whipped one or even two or even three, that the style is useless , type of thinking.

People that win challenge matches do not necessarily prove that their style is better, just that the opponent they fought at that moment was not on the same plateau of training or committment, agility, health, etc...

...in a nutshell, sweeping statements about people, especially the Martial Art they practice, are just not good...such statements simply do not have the clout to be backed up...

THREAD TOPIC

After practicing with other Instructors and students over the past 20 years, I have met many good fighters, but for every one that is good there are thousands that are not, and this is more than likely due to poor training methods. I have found that for TKD to improve just slightly, and without going Internal, thus maintaining their roots,

TKD Practitioners:

1. Need to loosen up.
    2. Use more knees and lower kicks.
    3. Implement more hand strikes to knockout points.
    4. Move more from the waist.
    5. Practice with Intent against Partners.
    6. Turn blocks into striking blocks (as opposed to force meets force, unless of course, the practitioner has toughened up there skin through rigorous old-fashion toughening techniques).
    7. Make fighting a part of test.
    8. Make Forms just a part of learning, and not Rank Requirements.
    9. Allow for older students to not have to kick as high, or do so many spinning kicks, since low kicks work just as well. (ie. Be flexible in regards to different age groups since it is not about being a black belt degree mill or store front for Century MA, etc)
    10. Teach students to keep hands closer to body and to not step backwards.
    11. The list is endless!!!

"Success is measured not by the end result, but rather with each little step along the way." - Me.

Chris B.

Shogerijutsu HomePage

kwokfist Guest
    not to step backwards? what the hell does that mean?

Low kicks are effective, but high kicks aren't all that bad. High kicks being anything above the hip and lower than the shoulder. kicks to the head or shoulder are just plain stupid.

shog Guest

kwofist:

Over and over instructors teach TKD students to backup. Some side stepping or shuffling of the feet to the rear could be fine, but anything else, and the TKD person practically runs backward as they try to kick or punch...due to the sheer force of someone closing in trying to jam their kick.

There are varying types of kicks:

Stomping Kicks: Shin, Knee, Instep, Ankle.

Low kicks: Side of knee, behind knee, side of thigh, rear thigh, anterior thigh, groin, and lower abdomen just below waist.

Middle Kicks or rather trunk level kicks are those from the waist to the shoulders.

High Kicks are those to the neck and head.

... to name a few...

Like you, I believe more emphasis should be on low to middle, indeed.

And yes, even more so, high kicks are just not bright at all.

Now the statement about the kicks was made in reference the older practitioner, since the young kids do not seem to mind at all, and what is expected, rather demanded most of the time, from many instructors out there.

Chris B.