Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tae Kwon Do

I would bet that it happened when The ATA came into play. The camoflauge belt, the cheesy clubs, the fact that you progress through like 11 belts in two to two and a half years and can then become a black belt. Also, I was reading about the history of it about a month ago - the founder of ATA decided that TKD too closely resembled JMA, so he added the kicks and limited the hand use in order to give the style a more "korean flavor"
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Cool

Mr Nunchacku

I have a friend in Loveland Colorado that gave me a whole new respect for TKD. He teaches at an excellent school. His kids went to the junior olympics. I didn't realise until working with him that there is some in depth practice drills in TKD to defeat kicks. His wife likes to use a very fast AXE kick to bring your leg down and then kick the snot out of you, OUCH! Any way his school works on all these wonderful kicks againts kicks. Different from what I am used to doing.

Yep, leg defense is just as important as leg offense.

When i went to US to compete we stayed at this one kids home, (well his parents home obviously) The kid had been practicing hard from when he was younger but first he was with another school, he showed us some videotape, and what i saw was amazing (bad amazing), it was the worst ever, besides the fact that the teachers wore black doboks. They had both TKD and COMBAT TKD belts (so they could have more belt tests) and they had very bad form.

Now he's been with Master Park for a while and he's soooo much better. I was just amazed at this school because it sucked ass and aparently most of the schools were like this.

That's propably why people have such bad things to say, they've ever fought a ****y black belt from these schools and think that all TKD sucks like that, or have joined up with the school and realized how crappy it was, and hence thought all TKD schools were crappy like that.
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

Me and my friends from another board have a term for these kinds of schools. We call them McDojo.

McDojo (n.)- A "martial arts school" where the primary concern is to gain money. There are a whole lot of belts for the purpose of having to pay the school more money for testings. No one ever fails the "testings". Everybody gets their black belt in the minimum amount of time.

If your school exhibits one of these characteristics that's nothing to worry too much about (except the part about no one ever failing tests), but any more and you may be looking at a McDojo.

In our school it's rare for someone to fail a belt test, but then it's also common for students not to be invited to test. When I was doing Shaolin Kempo Karate I had some "surprise" on the spot belt tests. Guess that's when the instructor wanted to take his wife out for dinner.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

"In our school it's rare for someone to fail a belt test, but then it's also common for students not to be invited to test."

This is an example of why I said it is nothing to worry about if your school has one of the mentioned McDojo characteristics. This is obviously an exception and shows that your school is not concerned about sucking money out of people by testing them all the time.
    Tae kwon do is not just a martial art, it is a way of life.

At one school that I attended the sifu decided to rank test everyone (and I mean everyone) and of course charge money right before he took a trip to china. Kinda made me wonder.

Rogue: Freddy V. rules baby...Freddy V. rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:
    Regards

I still find it amazing that I learned something there.

BTW, the January 2002 issue of Tae Kwon Do Times has a short but pretty good article about knife fighting. No not Dog Brothers or Hock style of KF, but what you're likely to face on the street. Don't know where the author got his stats, but he makes some good points. Read it at B&N over a cup of coffee, unless you like looking at pictures of Americans dressed up in PJ's striking strange poses in front of Asian landmarks.
    Last edited by rogue; 12-15-2001 at 06:25 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Mr Nunchaku and his buddies invented the term McDojo? May I ask what handle he posted by at http://www.e-budo.com ?

I guess the CMA term would be "McKwoon"

lol, so others use it too!

I have absolutely no idea when my friend created the term (created it to us anyway), the topic has been purged a long time ago I'm sure. But who really cares who created it, right? It's the perfect term to describe it.

McKwoon
    McDojo
    McDojang
    McTraining Hall

lol
    Tae kwon do is not just a martial art, it is a way of life.

Tae Kwon Do

I mostly see mcdojangs and a few sport oriented places. I have not seen any combat focused Tae Kwon Do. Has anyone seen combat Tae Kwon Do?

this might help

there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Taekyon is a seperate and older art then Tae Kwon Do. It was a good video but that doesn't count. Anyone know how Choi Hong Hi taught Tae Kwon Do?