Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tae Kwon Do

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    I mostly see mcdojangs and a few sport oriented places. I have not seen any combat focused Tae Kwon Do. Has anyone seen combat Tae Kwon Do?
    All TKD has combat potential but today it has come down to sport, trophies and competition. In Vietnam era, there were quite a few small unit teams that trained in TKD. I am not saying they do not train that way today but the exercise and sport is predominant. There were a few Korean actors who were in Vietnam and one of them come to mind is Hwang JangLee! If I remember correctly the group was called the Tiger Division! (If my recall is accurate )

Our latest sweepstakes!

Enter to win TAE KWON DO BLACK BELT POOMSAE Autographed by authors Richard Chun and Doug Cook! Contest end 6:00 p.m. PST on 09/05/13. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gotta hand this one to TKD

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hold the phone...

Is this for real?

Female Taekwondo uniform could be redesigned

Juanjo Padrós, director of Andorra Taekwondo Federation and member of the European Union Executive Committee, is responsible for the innovative new design for the “female Dobok”.

The model designed by Juanjo Padrós, is a Taekwondo uniform that fits to the body using Lycra fabrics. The other model consists of a dress with a skirt and Lycra pants, giving it a more feminine touch to the Dobok.

The new design was presented to the WTF Expansion Committee in Puebla, during the World Taekwondo Championship; among the people present were WTF President, Dr. Choue, WTF Secretary General, WTF vice Director of Marketing and Communications and the Presidents of the different Continental Unions.

The WTF welcomed the new model with great interest and will study the different designs created by Padrós to see some important details before they finally instruct any manufacturer to produce the official clothing. “Right now everything is in the hands of the WTF Secretary General Jean-Marie Ayer and the Director of Marketing. The original model was created in Tailor & Co with model Jessica Rovira, member of the National Taekwondo Team of Andorra” explained Juanjo Padrós to masTaekwondo.com.

According Padrós, the main reasons for creating this new uniform were:

1) Renew the female Taekwondo image and make a better difference between the male and female categories.

2) Adapt the modern fabrics used now in sports to Taekwondo.

3) Ease and release the body movements in Taekwondo

4) Adapt the latest medical and computer technologies applied to fabrics.

5) Improve Taekwondo image in the TV and press.

On the other hand the creator of this new female Dobok detailed five reasons why he thinks this new model should be the competitive circuit:

1) All scientific evidence suggests that new fabrics are vital to fit the body and allow a better freedom of movement, creating more definition and clean movements. People will enjoy better definition and movement.

2) The latest advances in medicine and physiotherapy, as tiping or other techniques, can be applied to Doboks.

3) The new technologies like blood pressure, heart beat, and temperature control chips can be applied in the new Doboks, and thus show to the world the most modern and innovative martial art and sport.

4) Sometimes, for amateur spectators, it is difficult to differentiate if it is a female or male combat. With these new models, the categories will be easier to differentiate. It is also important the competition in other martial arts like Judo and Karate.

5) The most important reason is to take a better advantage of our female competitors because they are a treasure. It is important to show that practicing Taekwondo gives good health, helps to stay fit and gives a beautiful body shape. This last issue must be exploited and must be used to promote Taekwondo in this specific moment, after the success in the Olympics and a great World Championship, to attract television and mass media interest.

The World Taekwondo Federation is analyzing to incorporate the new uniform in the Grand Prix in December 2013. In Europe, it seems that during the Under-21 European Championships, they will make a test of the new uniform.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

it will work because it is more sexy. more sexy is always good. it fits tighter around the bust. no one wants to say it but i will.

"Improve Taekwondo image in the TV and press."
    we all know that in the modern world, this is largely done through sex appeal.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

4) Sometimes, for amateur spectators, it is difficult to differentiate if it is a female or male combat.
    The girls are the ones slapping and pulling hair.

Well Gene, you better get Tiger Claw and Martial Arts Mart fired up and making these...everyone knows TKD is where the money is...

Seriously though, will this make the punches less "snappy"? Everyone knows how important that snapping sound is when you do a form....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I support this motion.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

This uniform issue is trending in martial circles on the web

It's getting proportionally as much press as Miley after the 2013 VMAs....proportionally in martial circles versus pop circles.

Okay, maybe not. Nevertheless, I'm debating about cutting this free to make it's own thread as it certainly has potential for amusing discussion. We'll see how long it trends (I'm also happy to keep it here to bring attention to our sweepstakes promo, which be happens to be for a new autographed TKD Poomse book this week).

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Well Gene, you better get Tiger Claw and Martial Arts Mart fired up and making these...everyone knows TKD is where the money is...
    I actually did discuss it with our founder and our president yesterday. They are much more aware of the TKD circles than I am. Tiger Claw's founder, Thomas Oh, who is by nature, very 'old school', was skeptical it will go through. TC's president, Jonny Oh, felt if there's enough money behind it, and there is some money behind it, it'll happen. Apparently there was an international event recently where competitors received new uniforms as part of their participation gift bag. How cool is that? Both confirmed that the movement was coming from Europe, and TKD is very strong there. So we'll see.

Personally, I find it amusing that this is to be implemented for women and not for men. I have frequently been outspoken about costumes in Modern Wushu. While many draw comparisons of Modern Wushu costumes to Figure Skating or Gymnastics, both of those sports have strict regulations on what is allowable. Modern Wushu's regulations on uniforms, just like the regulations on weapons, are so cursory. That is one of my major sticking points with the acceptance of Modern Wushu as a serious sport. I find it really amusing that no one in Modern Wushu is quite clever enough to exploit these rule gaps. Why doesn't anyone bust out a uniform that lights up? While it might not garner a win, it would get attention. The only uniform controversy I've ever heard with Modern Wushu has been about Muslim women wearing burkas, and that's a totally different thing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Why doesn't anyone bust out a uniform that lights up?
    Please don't give them ideas.....
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Our sweepstakes winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Kairo View Post
    Whats ur thoughts on TKD? Good points? Bad points?
    Lemme know.
    Thanks for ur time,
    k.
    The people are always Big muscle bullies that beat me up for no reason & they are evil
    in fact I was just around a whole bunch of them -- they are bad people

I know some Koreans & they are good people - but tkd - no way - I hate when they say TKD
    Last edited by Cheng oi; 09-29-2013 at 04:06 PM.

I, personally, have always had, and still have positive views on TKD. My only problem with it is that in the few practice 2 and 3 step sparring that I participated in at the time, I was disqualified for hitting in the face. The kicking paradigm is one side but I acknowledged that people have to be well rounded and now we have BJJ, where the original world of ne-waza completes that training and conditioning reality. Be well rounded as best as one can be.

That being said, I look around and TKD is one of the more popular, if not the most, of martial arts systems. It is fitness where the whole family can participate without being tapped out by "those other guys" and everyone leaves happy!

Military Arts Institute on Ashland Ave!

Taekwondo History film

Intriguing, not just for the history, but for the perspective on it.

Russia and North Korea to Co-Produce Film on Taekwondo History

AP Images
    by Vladimir Kozlov
    10/20/2015 10:58am PDT

The film will be the first co-production project between the two countries in over 25 years.

Russia is planning the first co-production with North Korea since the Soviet era as part of a larger scheme aimed at stepping up film collaboration with the rogue nation.

State-backed Russian and North Korean filmmakers are planning a feature on the history of traditional Korean martial art of taekwondo, producer Yuri Mityushin told a news conference in Moscow on Tuesday.

"This picture will tell the story of taekwondo development," he said. "It has a very long history and was known even in Czarist Russia. In addition, we are planning several more co-productions [with North Korea]."

A delegation of North Korean filmmakers is currently on a visit to Moscow, timed to a series of screenings of North Korean films.

According to Mityushin, who organized the screenings and the visit, the North Korean filmmakers are also scheduled to discuss collaboration with the state-run studios Mosfilm and Gorky Studio and talk with Russia's main film school, VGIK, about accepting North Korean students.

Film ties between Russia and North Korea broke with the collapse of the Soviet Union. Before that, the Soviet Union and North Korea co-produced several movies, mostly focused on World War II events.

The most recent of those, Bereg spaseniya (Salvation Shore), directed by Arya Dashiyev, was released in 1990.

The announcement comes against the backdrop of Russia trying to step up co-production with other countries. Recently, co-production projects with China and India have been discussed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    I, personally, have always had, and still have positive views on TKD. My only problem with it is that in the few practice 2 and 3 step sparring that I participated in at the time, I was disqualified for hitting in the face. The kicking paradigm is one side but I acknowledged that people have to be well rounded and now we have BJJ, where the original world of ne-waza completes that training and conditioning reality. Be well rounded as best as one can be.

That being said, I look around and TKD is one of the more popular, if not the most, of martial arts systems. It is fitness where the whole family can participate without being tapped out by "those other guys" and everyone leaves happy!

Military Arts Institute on Ashland Ave!
    That would be WTF or another association. I did ITF and hitting the head with the hands was not only acceptable but encouraged. ITF was Gen Choi's art.

I realize this was an old post.

Cheng oi ( doubtful you are still on board) , I am sorry that was your experience. My instructor would have kicked our asses if we bullied anyone. Not acceptable. Possibly guys from another association ? Not that ITF is immune to jerks. But not the case where I learned. My instructor was Grandmaster Mark McCarthy.

My ITF instructor.- He is the one with the left eye closed. He lost it in a death match-NOT. Car accident when he was like 15.
    http://www.dmactkd.com/Summit/Seminars.html
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 10-23-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Another martial terrorist related post

I could start an indie thread on Martial Terrorists.

The video is embedded in the original site.

VIDEO: Brussels Bomber’s Brother Won Taekwondo Gold Medal in Israel

March 26, 2016

Mourad Laachraoui, brother of terrorist Najim Laachraoui, who blew himself up in Brussels airport on Tuesday, is a medal-winning sportsman who won the Israeli Open Taekwondo Championship in Ramle in September.

Fourteen people were killed and dozens wounded when Najim, 25, and another terrorist blew themselves up at the airport earlier this week. Another twenty people were killed and over 100 wounded in the simultaneous bombing of a subway train in Brussels.

Mourad Laachraoui, 21, told a press conference in Brussels on Thursday that he was “ashamed and sad” about what his older brother had done and declared that he would never be able to understand why Najim blew himself up in the airport attack, the Mail Online reported.

He claimed that his family had no contact with Najim since he left Belgium for Syria three years ago, despite living only a mile from the flat where Najim prepared the attacks.

“Our family has the same questions you all have,” he said. “He used to be a nice intelligent guy. I couldn’t believe it.” “I’m not trying to understand, I’m trying to move on and turn the page,” Mourad said. Asked if he had a message for the victims, Mourad said: “I feel for them.

Belgian officials have said that Najim Laachraoui was an expert bomb-maker, who prepared the explosive devices for both this week’s attacks in Brussels and the devastating terrorist attacks in Paris last November.

Mourad was speaking for the first time since the attacks at a press conference at his taekwondo club in Uccle, a well-off neighborhood in the south of Brussels.

He spent six days in Israel, from September 3 – 8, while participating in the local taekwondo championships, according to a report on the ynet website. He won a gold medal in the 58 kg weight category, beating Israeli Gil Haimovitz in the final.

“We know the brother personally,” said Yehiam Sharabi, coach of the Israeli taekwondo team. “The relations between him and us were always normal and he would wish us shalom.”

After winning a silver at the world championships in South Korea last year, Mourad is on a program for young athletes aiming to win gold at the Olympics in Tokyo in 2020.

Belgian officials have said that Najim Laachraoui was an expert bomb-maker, who prepared the explosive devices for both this week’s attacks in Brussels and the devastating terrorist attacks in Paris last November.

Mourad was speaking for the first time since the attacks at a press conference at his taekwondo club in Uccle, a well-off neighborhood in the south of Brussels.

He spent six days in Israel, from September 3 – 8, while participating in the local taekwondo championships, according to a report on the ynet website. He won a gold medal in the 58 kg weight category, beating Israeli Gil Haimovitz in the final.

“We know the brother personally,” said Yehiam Sharabi, coach of the Israeli taekwondo team. “The relations between him and us were always normal and he would wish us shalom.”

After winning a silver at the world championships in South Korea last year, Mourad is on a program for young athletes aiming to win gold at the Olympics in Tokyo in 2020
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips