Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Abbot scandals

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Paximus View Post
    Man, how about putting someone in charge who, I don't know, follows the friggen Dharma?
    There was meant to be someone, but I heard he was put in jail for a week when Yongxin got elected back in the '90s. Also I believe Yongxin changed the rules so that there are no abbot elections every few years anymore, it's a kind of permanent position...

Anyway he's also done lots of good things for / in Shaolin so it's not all "bad" ... credit must be given too.

Even abbots need a rice bowl, but it has to be bigger than the acolytes!
    What fun is that when your bowl is smaller than the neophyte and you are the abbot?

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    Even abbots need a rice bowl, but it has to be bigger than the acolytes!
    What fun is that when your bowl is smaller than the neophyte and you are the abbot?
    Then we might should hope that the story of the 18 Buddhist hells was just made up and the commandments for monks was just to annoy them...Otherwise...

Best regards,
    Xian

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Then we might should hope that the story of the 18 Buddhist hells was just made up and the commandments for monks was just to annoy them.
    It was and they were.

What surprises me about this...

...is that no incriminating footage was captured. If there was a hidden camera focused on your bed, would they have filmed anything you wouldn't want shown?

Or maybe my original theory was right - that it was aliens.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

still scandalous...

...in Spain, no less...
    Shaolin Temple denies abbot sex scandal
    China.org.cn, August 15, 2013

A newspaper in Spain claimes Shi Yongxin has a mistress.[China Daily]

The Henan Shaolin Temple has denied its abbot Shi Yongxin is embroiled in a sex scandal.

A newspaper in Spain claimed the 48-year-old high-profile abbot has a mistress who is a college student in Beijing, a son in Germany and an overseas bank account containing $3 billion.

The Shaolin Temple, one of the most famous Mahayana Buddhist monasteries in China, was built in the fifth century and has became a symbol of Chinese kung fu.

Shi Yongxin, originally named Liu Yingcheng, was born into a family in Yingshang, Anhui Province in 1965.

To bring Shaolin culture to the worldwide Shaolin enthusiasts, Shi has promoted various Buddhist activities and engaged in domestic and foreign cultural exchanges.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on the El Periodico article

Are there any Spaniards here that might have access to the original article and can post it here?
    Shaolin Temple denies scandal
    Global Times | 2013-8-16 0:28:01
    By Hu Qingyun

The Shaolin Temple in Central China's Henan Province on Thursday refuted a rumor that its abbot is embroiled in a sex scandal and has $3 billion in his overseas bank account, as a response to a Spanish newspaper report that has been circulating online for the past few days.

The Spanish Newspaper, El Periodico, reported on July 21 that the abbot has a mistress who is a university student in Beijing and a son living in Germany. The report also claimed that the temple has admitted that they have supported the woman financially.

"It's absolutely ridiculous to say that our abbot is in a romantic relationship with a woman, or that he has children. It is not only offensive to the abbot but also to other monks like me. We have never heard of that foreign newspaper and have never been interviewed by that reporter," Yankong, a monk from the temple, told the Global Times, adding that some 300 monks in the temple can testify as witnesses for the abbot.

Yankong said that he was shocked when hearing the news as he claimed that the abbot follows Buddhist discipline with other monks in the temple, rarely leaving the temple to travel to other places.

The abbot, Shi Yongxin, 48, has helped introduce the culture of the Shaolin Temple, a symbol of Chinese kung fu, to the world and brought in great economic revenue through tourism.

Yangkong said the abbot has also heard about the report. "He thought the report was quite funny because it made no sense."

Phone calls to the Spanish newspaper El Periodico went unanswered on Thursday.

A staff member from the temple's office, surnamed Zhang, said the report was based on rumors which may be spread by some "powerful people," whose interests were hurt by the abbot as he refused to let the temple go to initial public offering, a Chengdu-based news portal news.chengdu.cn reported on Wednesday.

Yankong confirmed Zhang's comment but declined to say who the "powerful people" were.

This is not the first time that the abbot has been caught up in such rumors.

Media reports in July said several surveillance cameras had been secretly installed in the abbot's bedroom, so the people who installed them could use what they recorded as leverage against the abbot. In 2011, the abbot was even said to have been caught soliciting a prostitute during a police raid in Henan. Both events were proven to be untrue.

Such rumors have often gone hand-in-hand with commercial disputes surrounding the temple and the delayed wages of workers and monks, media reported previously.

Zhang told the news portal that the temple hasn't ruled out the possibility of reporting the matter to police.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Scandal at world-famous Shaolin monastery

This has probably been posted already but I’m too lazy to search for it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...k-account.html

The Shaolin Monastery has become one of the world's most famous Buddhist temples, thanks to the brand of kung fu which bears its name and has been exported all around the world.

However, the increased profile of the monastery has brought a series of scandals which critics claim have undermined the institution's reputation as a religious haven.

Abbot Shi Yongxin is even rumoured to have visited prostitutes, stashed away money and fathered an illegitimate child.

Thank God! You think its easy being an Abbot?! He was only trying to show those misguided professionals the path to enlightenment. And I do believe its been posted.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

HEEEEEEY ABBOOOOOOOTT!

Couldn't help myself
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Nothing that new in this article

UK's Daily Mail is an amusing platform however.
    Scandal at world-famous Shaolin monastery as controversial abbot is accused of fathering illegitimate son and hiding £2billion in secret bank account

Shi Yongxin transformed ancient Chinese monastery into global business
    Buddhist temple makes millions from kung-fu shows and publications
    But the abbot is accused of consorting with prostitutes and hiding money

By Daily Mail Reporter
    PUBLISHED: 11:04 EST, 20 August 2013 | UPDATED: 13:03 EST, 20 August 2013

The Shaolin Monastery has become one of the world's most famous Buddhist temples, thanks to the brand of kung fu which bears its name and has been exported all around the world.

However, the increased profile of the monastery has brought a series of scandals which critics claim have undermined the institution's reputation as a religious haven.

Abbot Shi Yongxin is even rumoured to have visited prostitutes, stashed away money and fathered an illegitimate child.

Famous: Shaolin monks have become known around the world for their kung-fu skills

Shaolin Monastery, situated in Henan province in central China, was founded in the fifth century and has long been famed for its distinctive brand of kung fu.

However, it was not until 48-year-old Shi - dubbed the 'Kung Fu CEO' - took over at the monastery in 1999 that the institution grew into a world-wide phenomenon, according to Buzzfeed.

Shaolin monks now go on global tours showing off their martial arts skills - including taking part in boxing matches against the U.S. Marines in Las Vegas.

The monastery draws in so much revenue that a few years ago it contemplated an £85million IPO which would transform it into a public company listed on the Hong Kong or Shanghai stock market.

Tranquil: The monastery dates back to the fifth century and has a venerable history before its modern transformation

It makes more than £15million a year from selling tickets for tours of the site, with entrance costing 100 yuan (£10).

In addition, the Shaolin Monastery has opened a number of daughter temples in the U.S. and Venezuela in a bid to export its trademark kung fu fighting style.

The new corporate atmosphere surrounding the venerable Buddhist institution has drawn accusations that its monks have forgotten their spiritual mission.

A few years ago, Chinese web users gleefully shared images contrasting the extravagance of Shaolin monks with the austere Dabei monastery, whose residents wear drab clothes and refuse all offers of money from visitors.

Hollywood: Monks pose with Rowan Atkinson at the premiere of his film hit Johnny English Reborn

In 2011, Shi hit the headlines when it was claimed that he had been caught soliciting a prositute.

The monastery denied that he had paid the woman for sex, and said that he was carrying out religious rites in a brothel at the time of a police raid.

Worse news for the institution came this year, when it emerged that cameras had been hidden in the walls of the monastery and aimed at the sleeping quarters of female residents.

Earlier this month, a Spanish newspaper reported that Shi - the first Buddhist monk to hold an MBA - had stashed £2billion in secret bank accounts.

Even more scandalously, he was said to have fathered an illegitimate son with a young Chinese woman studying in Germany.

Temple officials have denied any wrongdoing, claiming that the stories were rumours fabricated by 'powerful people' angry about the failure of the IPO.

NOTE: I just found Efy's post above on the OT forum and merged it into this one. I'll keep my post here up as it preserves the article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg fu young View Post
    This has probably been posted already but I’m too lazy to search for it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

fathered a child? ****. Gene you knew the abbot, did you see this coming?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I still know him

I anticipate meeting with him again next month at the 1st American Shaolin Festival.

As for the illegitimate child rumor, I have yet to meet that child or see any evidence of this beyond rumors. My question with that is 'why Germany?' While some of the criticism leveled at the Abbot is valid, he has a lot of detractors so some is clearly B.S.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Are there any Spaniards here that might have access to the original article and can post it here?
    Yes, I'll come back later when I have more information.

By the way, In the image you posted before you can read the title: "the encripted files of the Bilbao's fake 'shaolin'. Juan Carlos Aguilar