Thread: Abbot scandals

Hybrid View

You really think they will bust the Abbot, bungbukuen?

Sure grafts etc. are illegal in China, but there's a country that sometimes seems to run on kickbacks. I think a lot of it stems from the guanxi tradition. Anyway, if they bust the abbot for accepting this car on the basis of it being a graft, bungbukuen, I'll be quite impressed by your observation. If not, red herring.

As for Shaolin being a sell out, that's really about how you define sell out. Questions about Shaolin's validity have been going on for centuries. Tourism has been an issue at Shaolin for longer than the USA has been an independant nation. Check out my article Shaolin Trips: Episode 4 - A Hero Watching the Formation - Chapter Four: Xingqiyi (Monday): Shaolin Revisited, the First and Second Generals, and - oh yes - the Tournament. The 7th graphic from the top is a tourist map of the area that dates back 14 centuries.

But for the record, I'm a layman disciple of a specific monk. There are plenty of us. It's no big thing. Most martial artists will disciple under some master at some point.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    As for Shaolin being a sell out, that's really about how you define sell out. Questions about Shaolin's validity have been going on for centuries. Tourism has been an issue at Shaolin for longer than the USA has been an independant nation. Check out my article Shaolin Trips: Episode 4 - A Hero Watching the Formation - Chapter Four: Xingqiyi (Monday): Shaolin Revisited, the First and Second Generals, and - oh yes - the Tournament. The 7th graphic from the top is a tourist map of the area that dates back 14 centuries.

But for the record, I'm a layman disciple of a specific monk. There are plenty of us. It's no big thing. Most martial artists will disciple under some master at some point.
    Wow, I had no idea. I thought it was a recent thing.

I'll never be a disciple. I don't have enough discipline. Or tact. Or patience.

Gene - no need to try to sugar coat graft by implying that everyone does it in China. While it is prevelant, it is also something that exists in every country including the US - Enron being a classic example.

Of course the Abbot nor the awarding party will not be going jail. There was nothing malicious about it. But I am forecasting that he will be returning the car soon.

BBK

sugarcoat indeed

bungbukuen, you seem to think that I'm trying to spin doctor this into some sort of positive thing. Now why would I do that? If this was something that I felt should be hidden or sugar coated, why would I have started this thread here in the first place?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

wow! A toureg! That's a sweeeet ride for sure!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If this was already linked or posted and I missed it, just delete it. It does have a few photos with it
    Shaolin Temple goes commercial
    By Guo Qiang (chinadaily.com.cn)
    Updated: 2006-08-31 09:56

[Learn more about the Shaolin Kungfu]

Shi Yongxin, the abbot of Shaolin Temple, widely considered the birthplace of Chinese Kung Fu, spends most of his day greeting corporate executives, government officials and friends from all over the world and dealing with dinner invitations and business instead of shepherding all disciples.

The abbot of the Shaolin temple in the central province of Henan, Shi Yongxin, stands beside a spectacular sports sedan worth 1 million Yuan (US$125, 000), which is awarded to him for his contributions to the local tourism industry. [Dahe Daily]

When Henan officials presented Shi with a spectacular sports sedan valued at one million yuan (US$125, 000) for his contributions to the local tourism industry, it raised increasing doubts that Shi is a monk who is dedicated to fortune rather than religion, the Beijing News Reported on August 30.

"I resorted to using commercialization to promote Shaolin culture," Shi says. "I believe that people who concentrate on hard work can understand me."

Shi Yongxin. [Beijing News]
    Displaying photos of top Chinese leaders such as Jiang Zemin, Li Peng and Wu Yi along with Russian President Vladimir Putin and former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, Shaolin Temple is marked with Shi's commercialization efforts.

Shi was admitted to the temple in 1981 when it was in a total recession with dozens of monks staying at the temple, where they lived on 28 mu (1.86 hectares) of farmland. Nine of them were elderly.

He began to serve as abbot in 1987, five years after the internationally acclaimed wuxia (literally meaning martial arts) movie 'Shaolin Temple', starring Hong Kong star Jet Li, which put the temple in the international spotlight.

Shi has been trying to strengthen cultural exchange and promote the reputation of the temple since 1987, according to the paper.

"I aim to make Shaolin culture something people want to study," Shi says.

The abbot has set up research cooperatives with dozens of mainland universities, including Tsinghua University and Peking University.

He has continued his cultural exchange with the international community.

Shi has purchased 12 square kilometers of land in Australia and is prepared to build a Shaolin martial arts cultural center he says will be built according to traditional Chinese construction methods.

A monk of the Shaolin Temple holding a club rides a moto bike on a road August 24, 2006. [Beijing News]

"It may serve as a construction museum or an educational base," Shi says.

Shi's moves have sparked criticism nationwide from media reports to Internet online posts.

"They have forgotten what their purpose is and are concentrating on what they shouldn't do," Xinhua quoted an online post as saying.

Shi has moved to build a Shaolin medicine office in the southwest area of the temple, and he is stepping up efforts to set up a Shaolin museum, according to the paper.

"Before I can do anything the temple needs to acquire more land," Shi says.

"The expanded Shaolin temple is in need of land and I'm considering building a museum, a practice hall, a Buddhist palace a science exchange center."
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Shaolin Temple Theme Park

It looks like they are heading towards the theme park model. Let's face it, "Shaolin" is a romantic dream from the past. What exists today is there to comemorate it, and there is probably nothing wrong with that as far as it goes. I live in the southwestern United States where there are reconstructed "ghost towns" with re-enactments of old west shoot-outs. Nothing wrong with it, just don't get confused and start thinking it's "real."
    "Each step of the journey feels like home to me."