Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Abbot scandals

Talking

Geez, it's not like he's the maharishi with thirty something cadillacs.

I think you're thinking of the Rajneesh and his Rolls....

The Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (aka Osho) had over 90 Rolls Royces. Personally, I got to respect anyone with more than two dozen Rolls.

I've actually been out to Osho's meditation resort in Pune. I was staying in Pune to train under B.K.S. Iyengar and we went out there just to check it out. It was actually pretty nice.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

what next

what will others expect from the government he got a luxury sedan will this encourage future monks to be ordained with the idea( or at least it being one of the reasons ) of becoming rich and famous
    and surely a monk would be modest enough to refuse it as he surely doesnt need a sedan
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Has he got a driving licence!

So with the abbot, who has had a nice car for some time and also holds a position with the People's Congress, is somewhat expected to have a pimp ride. Of course, everyone has their perception of what a Buddhist abbot is supposed to be like, but that's generally based on a medieval ideal that doesn't really apply to the modern world.
    Sounds like many people here in America who use religion to increase their own power and fortune. Maybe my not being a buddhist makes it difficult to see the difference, or maybe no one is doing a particularly good job of showing what positive impact the current Shaolin Temple has on society... I just fail to grasp at this point why the abbot should be looked up to and respected any more than any other self serving politician.

Has he got a driving licence!
    I doubt he needs one, lol.

The key issue is not whether the abbot is allowed to own mobile phones, cars, DVD players, and other consumer possesions. The problem is that this type of activity falls within the definitions of criminal graft. It is a very serious criminal offense in China, not to mention the rest of the world.

Secondly considering the extreme poverty in the region it is a very distasteful act on the part of the government and a supposed religious leader.

Lastly if the temple really needs another vehicle they should pay for it with thier own funds.

Gene you sound like you are trying to justify the entire action. Am I misreading you?
    Last edited by bungbukuen; 08-30-2006 at 04:02 AM.

not "justify", just play Devil's Advocate

I've always found Shi Yongxin to be a fascinating and complex individual. Now I confess, I do have my allegiances to Shaolin. I'm a layman disciple. I was also the first person to publish an interview with him in English. Every time I go to Shaolin, I pay my respects to the Abbot. We have a good relationship, one that, given my position, I put effort into maintaining. I hope that someday I'll get to ride in this Abbot SUV. But note that I was also the one who started this thread, with a chiding title at that.

Probably what you're reading into my comments, bungbukuen, is my attempt to explain the workings of PRC and modern Shaolin. Religion in PRC is a very delicate issue. It's delicate in America too, but for converse reasons. Also, I like to bring attention to the complexity fo Shaolin. Many critics simply attack the simple fault but fail to see the complete circumstances.

For me, the question of this having a criminal graft element is a red herring. The award seems to be as on the up-and-up as it could be, given the nature of it all. Clearly, if Dengfeng tourism is going to be giving out SUVs for people that have helped that economy, the Abbot should be the top of the list. Like I said before, I'd love to know who got the other nine. The juxtaposition of extreme poverty versus a wealthy monastic class could be more easily and more appropriately levelled at the Dalai Lama. The political nature of the Abbot is also a PRC thing. Note that many outstanding martial artists have served as part of People's Congress, including GM Liang Yiquan (one of the top ten masters of China) as well as many leading wushu champions. That's just the way that People's Congress works. Representatives are selected based on their accolades, not by popular vote.

For me, it's more of a Buddhist challenge. Buddhism preaches non-attachment. That's becoming more of a challenge to any modern practitioner because frankly, there's more stuff. Twenty years ago, there would have never been this discussion because there weren't really SUVs. But even in the medieval-like setting of pre-communist Tibet, you can see flagrant abuse in terms of have and have-not. I touched on this very breifly in my July August 2006 cover story. Osho is another example, although he's not really Buddhist, and he had a lot of other issues beyond questionable spiritual practices and materialism.

Shaolin's Abbot is clearly on the path of acquisition. We've documented how he wants to restore Shaolin, to rebuild and recover, in many articles. He's had a luxury car for years. Now he's be awarded another luxury and the Shaolin kicker is that he says he wants a better one next year. That's wacky. I think it's worth discussing here because it cuts across many issues that we Shaolin practitioners grapple with constantly.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Criminal Law Fact Update

The fact that the car awarding ceremony was a public event does certainly give the appearance of being perfectly legal. Obviously graft activity normally takes place under more secretive conditions. I mean who would publically engage in bribes? In this context it may have been innnocent and nothing more than pure stupidity. But ignorance of the law is not a valid defense.

In terms of the definition of graft, the mechanics of kickbacks, and the transaction itself, the gift care does certainly fit the definition of graft and under stingent definitions is punishable at a minimum of 10 years in jail.

As a layman disciple under Shi Yongxin I can understand your aprehension Gene, but please do check up on your PRC criminal law facts law before dimissing anything.

Nerd Facts:
    PRC law defines bribery as the giving of moneys or goods to personnel of State organizations or public servants for improper benefits. Improper benefits are also defined as excessive amounts of money or gifts, and are considered bribes.

Under PRC law, government administrative personnel may NOT:

a) Receive gifts while discharging official duty within the PRC. Gifts are gift articles, gift money, vouchers or goods purchased with nominal costs, whether given outright or in the name of or in the form of receptions, ceremonies, seminars, weddings and funerals;

(b) Receive gifts in performing official duties relating to foreign parties only. Such gifts are gift articles, gift money or vouchers, and must be reported according to value.7

According to section eight under criminal law in China, graft in the amount of more than Rmb100,000 is punishable to a minimum of 10 fixed years in prison.
    The fat abbots pimp ride is easily worth over Rmb100,000 in China.

Source:
    1. PRC Criminal Law - Chapter VIII: Graft and Bribery
    2. Provisions Against Offering and Accepting Gifts by State Administrative Organs or Personnel in Performing Official Duties within the PRC (《国家行政机关及其工作人员在国內公务活动中不得贈送和接受礼品的规定》), art. 2-4.

Old News

It's kindof old news the 'Shaolin' temple is a sellout commercial institution now.

Don't know why this is big news. ??? China is all about money now, and as for graft, this is one government institution giving something to somebody.

'Layman disciple' ????? How can you be a disciple of a commercial enterprise, that's kindof a joke. It's just a marketing ploy to increase their membership and revenue.

You really think they will bust the Abbot, bungbukuen?

Sure grafts etc. are illegal in China, but there's a country that sometimes seems to run on kickbacks. I think a lot of it stems from the guanxi tradition. Anyway, if they bust the abbot for accepting this car on the basis of it being a graft, bungbukuen, I'll be quite impressed by your observation. If not, red herring.

As for Shaolin being a sell out, that's really about how you define sell out. Questions about Shaolin's validity have been going on for centuries. Tourism has been an issue at Shaolin for longer than the USA has been an independant nation. Check out my article Shaolin Trips: Episode 4 - A Hero Watching the Formation - Chapter Four: Xingqiyi (Monday): Shaolin Revisited, the First and Second Generals, and - oh yes - the Tournament. The 7th graphic from the top is a tourist map of the area that dates back 14 centuries.

But for the record, I'm a layman disciple of a specific monk. There are plenty of us. It's no big thing. Most martial artists will disciple under some master at some point.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    As for Shaolin being a sell out, that's really about how you define sell out. Questions about Shaolin's validity have been going on for centuries. Tourism has been an issue at Shaolin for longer than the USA has been an independant nation. Check out my article Shaolin Trips: Episode 4 - A Hero Watching the Formation - Chapter Four: Xingqiyi (Monday): Shaolin Revisited, the First and Second Generals, and - oh yes - the Tournament. The 7th graphic from the top is a tourist map of the area that dates back 14 centuries.

But for the record, I'm a layman disciple of a specific monk. There are plenty of us. It's no big thing. Most martial artists will disciple under some master at some point.
    Wow, I had no idea. I thought it was a recent thing.

I'll never be a disciple. I don't have enough discipline. Or tact. Or patience.

Gene - no need to try to sugar coat graft by implying that everyone does it in China. While it is prevelant, it is also something that exists in every country including the US - Enron being a classic example.

Of course the Abbot nor the awarding party will not be going jail. There was nothing malicious about it. But I am forecasting that he will be returning the car soon.

BBK

sugarcoat indeed

bungbukuen, you seem to think that I'm trying to spin doctor this into some sort of positive thing. Now why would I do that? If this was something that I felt should be hidden or sugar coated, why would I have started this thread here in the first place?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

wow! A toureg! That's a sweeeet ride for sure!
    Kung Fu is good for you.