Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Abbot scandals

If this was already linked or posted and I missed it, just delete it. It does have a few photos with it
    Shaolin Temple goes commercial
    By Guo Qiang (chinadaily.com.cn)
    Updated: 2006-08-31 09:56

[Learn more about the Shaolin Kungfu]

Shi Yongxin, the abbot of Shaolin Temple, widely considered the birthplace of Chinese Kung Fu, spends most of his day greeting corporate executives, government officials and friends from all over the world and dealing with dinner invitations and business instead of shepherding all disciples.

The abbot of the Shaolin temple in the central province of Henan, Shi Yongxin, stands beside a spectacular sports sedan worth 1 million Yuan (US$125, 000), which is awarded to him for his contributions to the local tourism industry. [Dahe Daily]

When Henan officials presented Shi with a spectacular sports sedan valued at one million yuan (US$125, 000) for his contributions to the local tourism industry, it raised increasing doubts that Shi is a monk who is dedicated to fortune rather than religion, the Beijing News Reported on August 30.

"I resorted to using commercialization to promote Shaolin culture," Shi says. "I believe that people who concentrate on hard work can understand me."

Shi Yongxin. [Beijing News]
    Displaying photos of top Chinese leaders such as Jiang Zemin, Li Peng and Wu Yi along with Russian President Vladimir Putin and former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, Shaolin Temple is marked with Shi's commercialization efforts.

Shi was admitted to the temple in 1981 when it was in a total recession with dozens of monks staying at the temple, where they lived on 28 mu (1.86 hectares) of farmland. Nine of them were elderly.

He began to serve as abbot in 1987, five years after the internationally acclaimed wuxia (literally meaning martial arts) movie 'Shaolin Temple', starring Hong Kong star Jet Li, which put the temple in the international spotlight.

Shi has been trying to strengthen cultural exchange and promote the reputation of the temple since 1987, according to the paper.

"I aim to make Shaolin culture something people want to study," Shi says.

The abbot has set up research cooperatives with dozens of mainland universities, including Tsinghua University and Peking University.

He has continued his cultural exchange with the international community.

Shi has purchased 12 square kilometers of land in Australia and is prepared to build a Shaolin martial arts cultural center he says will be built according to traditional Chinese construction methods.

A monk of the Shaolin Temple holding a club rides a moto bike on a road August 24, 2006. [Beijing News]

"It may serve as a construction museum or an educational base," Shi says.

Shi's moves have sparked criticism nationwide from media reports to Internet online posts.

"They have forgotten what their purpose is and are concentrating on what they shouldn't do," Xinhua quoted an online post as saying.

Shi has moved to build a Shaolin medicine office in the southwest area of the temple, and he is stepping up efforts to set up a Shaolin museum, according to the paper.

"Before I can do anything the temple needs to acquire more land," Shi says.

"The expanded Shaolin temple is in need of land and I'm considering building a museum, a practice hall, a Buddhist palace a science exchange center."
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Shaolin Temple Theme Park

It looks like they are heading towards the theme park model. Let's face it, "Shaolin" is a romantic dream from the past. What exists today is there to comemorate it, and there is probably nothing wrong with that as far as it goes. I live in the southwestern United States where there are reconstructed "ghost towns" with re-enactments of old west shoot-outs. Nothing wrong with it, just don't get confused and start thinking it's "real."
    "Each step of the journey feels like home to me."

even theme parks are real...

...meawhile, in related news...

China's love affair with the car off to bumpy start
    Updated 8/30/2006 10:31 PM ET
    Wang Junsheng prefers teaching kung fu but says teaching beginning drivers at the Flourishing China Driving School pays better.
    By Calum MacLeod, USA TODAY

BEIJING — As a farmer's son growing up in England, I always thought I'd learn to drive in a field. Somehow it never happened. Until last month, near Bean Village in eastern Beijing, where at age 37, I began taking driving lessons.

My field of driving dreams is being eaten up in China's race to urbanize. The roads being paved through farm country at the fringes of China's capital are some of the most dangerous in the world.

"Thirty years ago, this was all fields and trees," reminisces traffic cop Li Baocheng as he drives through Beijing's eastern suburbs. He's worked here since 1974. "There were very few cars on the roads back then. My job was very relaxed."

Today Li's beat is a choking sprawl of factories and highways. Every day, 1,000 brand new drivers hit the city's streets, the Beijing environmental bureau says. "New drivers are my biggest headache," Li moans. "Some days I don't have time to eat. There's an accident every 10 minutes."

China has fallen in love with the car. Beijingers today enjoy better jobs and freer travel. More than 4 million of them — more than a quarter of the capital area's 15 million people — now carry driver's licenses. Their 2.7 million cars clog the capital's arteries, according to the 2006 Beijing Road Safety Exhibition.

China is the world's fastest-growing car market. Nationally, car sales leaped almost 50% to 1.8 million in the first half of 2006, the state Xinhua News Agency says. But the fallout is deadly: There were 99,000 auto-related fatalities last year, according to the Road Safety Exhibition. That made road accidents the No. 1 non-disease killer in the country, ahead of floods, fires and other disasters. China's 1.3 billion people own just 2% of the world's vehicles, but account for 15% of global traffic deaths, according to the Ministry of Communications.

Liu Xiaolei is unperturbed. "It will be easier to find a girlfriend if I can drive," says the 18-year-old. "All Chinese girls now want boyfriends who can drive."

To end his love drought, Liu has joined me and other beginners at Flourishing China Driving School in eastern Beijing. Most of the students here will emerge clutching their driver's licenses in just six weeks — without ever having left the compound to drive on real roads, which are packed with China's heedless, dare-to-die bicyclists and pedestrians. Hopefully, by then, this late starter will have a license, too.

My fellow students at Flourishing China are aghast: You're a 37-year-old Westerner and you can't drive?

The one person who does believe me is my instructor, Wang Junsheng, who as it happens is also a kung fu martial arts master from the home of flying fists, the famed Shaolin Temple in Henan province.

Wang, 27, says he would rather be teaching martial arts, but being a driving instructor pays better. "Get out!" he shouts frequently. So I exit the driver's seat of our shiny Hyundai Elantra.

"This is how you do it," Wang says, removing the brick he placed under the gas pedal to keep me from speeding.

In just 23 seconds, he screeches in and out of two parking spaces separated by slalom poles, this challenge being one of three on China's standardized driving test. Beginners like me can take as long as we like to make the maneuver. We're supposed to navigate the poles by using a scheme of colored dots placed on the rear window.

Many of China's drivers are the first in their families to get behind the wheel. Ten years ago, Chinese learners practiced by driving on ordinary streets. When numbers boomed, the government corralled them at schools like Flourishing China, a huge plot with 175 training vehicles and mock hazards.

Student drivers pay $380 for a 58-hour course. First, though, they must pass a tough online "theory" test on the rules of the road. Thanks to Wang, I'm now at the final stage — the "road" test, which, thankfully, takes place on the grounds of the driving school and not amid the mayhem on real Chinese roads.

That's the trouble, says red-faced taxi driver Zhang Chunqiu. "There are too many killers on the roads because people don't learn (to drive) on real roads," he says, swerving to avoid a cyclist who has stopped in the middle of an expressway to pick up plastic bottles.

Policeman Li says change is coming: Beijing will reintroduce genuine road tests at the end of the year. That will mean fewer accidents, he says — and more time for lunch.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Of course, everyone has their perception of what a Buddhist abbot is supposed to be like, but that's generally based on a medieval ideal that doesn't really apply to the modern world.
    Not the least of which is of course the Buddhist community who looks to the abbot for spiritual guidance. It dosent' send a particularly good message when the head of the seat of Zen/Chan for the entire world breaks the 8th grave precept that all monks of his order take:

"I vow to refrain from indulging in miserliness and action for material gain."

But that's just me. Maybe he intends to use his SUV for the benifit of all sentient beings.

So, if he drove a Corolla he would be more 'enlightened' in your view?

How enlightened is someone who vows to do one thing agreeing that it's wrong, then goes back on his word and does it anyway?

But this issue isn't really about enlightenment. It's about the role of a priest. I couldn't care less if a former Catholic Priest took a wife, but an active Catholic Priest is forbidden to do so. If the Pope decided to marry, it would be big news and would turn the entire Catholic community on it's ear.

So why is it okay for the Abbot of Shaolin to drive an expensive car, but not the 'lowlier' monks, who all took vows against such things?

As a practicing Buddhist, I find such behavior offensive.
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 09-13-2006 at 03:33 AM.

Here's a little day in the life for a "well off" student of Shaolin, Anthony Graceffo, who has written several articles for KFM about his experiences:

While the other students have to live in crowded rooms with bunk beds, I have my own room. It is a 12 X 12 concrete box, devoid of any amenities apart from my steel frame bed. There is no box-springs or even a mattress. My blanket is simply laid out on a wooden plank. The house itself is just a concrete block with no comforts. We have no running water. Miao Ping helps me by having his little brother fill my water jug in the kitchen once a day. We are allotted one liter of drinking water per person, per day.

There is no shower or even a toilet. We have to take a bus into town to take a shower, once a week. As for the toilet, it is a smelly, snow-covered hole, a little too close to the kitchen for my tastes.

Our meals consist of vegetables, rice, and mantao, three times a day. There is never any tea or any beverage apart from our meager drinking water. I learned to drink the water quickly, because if you let it stand sediment would collect in the bottom and make it even more foul tasting.
    If the students don't even have clean drinking water, how can the Abbot justify driving a couple of sports cars?

Is this how we want Buddhism to be represented?

The range of his abbotry shall be augmented! With the aid of two cars perhaps he can become the most productive Abbot that Shaolin has even known.
    Thus raising the bar for all those who would follow...

this thread reminds me of the koan. joshu is asked "Has a dog Buddha-nature?"

I lived in Portland when the whole Bhagwan thing was happening. He also owned an old residential hotel downtown about 3 blocks from where I lived. At the airport, his fleet of DC-3 aircraft stood out as well...
    I don't know a lot about Yongxin but if he is cut from the same cloth as the bhagwan it will not take long to manifest in his actions
    Last edited by Banjos_dad; 10-04-2006 at 05:32 PM. Reason: dc3 not dc9 oops
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

hmmm i ought to point out i am neither likening the Abbot to either a dog or Rajneesh!
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

From the pimp ride...

...to the fat bling cassock.

Controversial abbot is new Shaolin kungfu chief
    June 27th, 2009 - 6:59 pm ICT by ANI

Beijing, June 27(ANI): Shi Yongxin, China’s most controversial monk, has been named the principle inheritor of the Shaolin kungfu.

“The decision has been approved by China’s State Council. With the honor, Yongxin is expected to shoulder greater responsibilities and take more initiatives to better preserve Shaolin martial arts,” Xinhua quoted Chen Gaofeng, an official of the Shaolin Temple, as saying.

Earlier, Yongxin had caused a stir by accepting the gift of a luxury cassock on June 8. A private brocade company gave the cassock to Yongxin, which had traditional Buddhist patterns such as the lotus and sacred vases woven in gold thread.

Yongxin, however, maintained that the cassock was only a gift and he had never asked for it.

The Shaolin Temple has been criticized for recently installing lavish restrooms worth 430,000 dollars and the reception of an extravagant four-wheel-drive vehicle from the local government.

Yongxin expressed his delight at the title being given to a Shaolin monk rather than to someone from outside the temple. (ANI)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    How enlightened is someone who vows to do one thing agreeing that it's wrong, then goes back on his word and does it anyway?

But this issue isn't really about enlightenment. It's about the role of a priest. I couldn't care less if a former Catholic Priest took a wife, but an active Catholic Priest is forbidden to do so. If the Pope decided to marry, it would be big news and would turn the entire Catholic community on it's ear.

So why is it okay for the Abbot of Shaolin to drive an expensive car, but not the 'lowlier' monks, who all took vows against such things?

As a practicing Buddhist, I find such behavior offensive.
    actually, catholic priests can marry, eastern rite catholics are married priests. in the early church, the celibacy rule came about more because wealth was leaving the church through inheritance, if a priest's son did not follow in his father's foot steps.

many communal religious groups faced that issue.

all the early pope's were married, with families, as were the 12 disciples.

also, you can become a catholic priest from another christian tradtion, and remain married.

The historical Buddha was himself married, and had a child, who joined him in the sangha.

Buddha seemed reluctant to codify the precepts, as the story goes he created them mostly on an individual basis. So don't be too offended. Many of them are not supposed to make sense.

I believe it was Campbell who said, people don't go to a steak house, rip off the piece of the menu where it says 'rib-eye', pop it into their mouths and think they are eating rib-eye steak. But when it comes to religion or spiritual systems...people are chewing up menus.

Quote Originally Posted by richard sloan View Post
    actually, catholic priests can marry.
    Actual if one is a Catholic priest he cann't marry. You can convert and become a Catholic priest from another Christian tradition, and remain married, however you can not marry after becoming one. Although there have been married popes in the Catholic Church none were married after becaming pope.
    see:

r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 07-09-2009 at 01:25 PM.

This is a Shaolin straw man argument

What the hell does Catholic priest restrictions have to do with Buddhist austerities?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

With the bling associated with a pimp ass ride, the abbot can cruise buddhist exposure to even more people!

wasnt it a gift anyway? it would be extremely rude to not make use of the gift.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

It dosent' send a particularly good message when the head of the seat of Zen/Chan for the entire world breaks the 8th grave precept that all monks of his order take:

"I vow to refrain from indulging in miserliness and action for material gain.
    dont assume that the chinese monastics take precepts derived from soto zen. they dont.

you say "zen/chan" so easily, but they are in fact two very separate traditions.

neither the abbot of shaolin nor any "lowlier" monks take any such vows.

by the way, i know several other monks in shaolin who drive cars. and they were all gifts, of course.

If the students don't even have clean drinking water, how can the Abbot justify driving a couple of sports cars?
    not sure how the abbot is somehow responsible for the financial welfare of all the schools in the surrounding area.

but imagine if none of the monks could drive cars. it would be very inconvenient and a lot less work would get done.

there is no precept they take against driving a car anyhow.

what kind of car do you drive?