Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite Samurai movie...

i do mean the original with Shintaro Katsu though. the new one had one too many scenes involving trannies and tap dancing for god knows what reason. Zaotoichi is not supposed to play a supporting role in his own movie.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht View Post
    i do mean the original with Shintaro Katsu though. the new one had one too many scenes involving trannies and tap dancing for god knows what reason. Zaotoichi is not supposed to play a supporting role in his own movie.
    I have to disagree with you and Gene Ching and say that I LOVED the newest Zatoichi. The music, the acting, the story. Well the story was kind of the same as all the rest but I like it that they had more than a single storyline. The kid from Gojoe is so freaking awesome in this. Name me a better part than when the kid imagines himself slicing Z up and then right before they go Z switches up his hold on the sword and the kid is screwed. I am really bad at explaining thing but that scene was great as was the whole movie. The ending I guess I just sort of look past, I believe he is still blind

After seeing the first 3 Zatiochi movies, I do have to say that like Shintaro Katsu's movies more.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Of course he is invincible!

Quote Originally Posted by Su Lin View Post
    Of course he is invincible!
    I have to admit I was a little scared at the end of Baby Cart in Peril. He comes back for part 5 though
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

The 6th one is the only one I haven't seen! You'll like Lady Snowblood!

Two more classics

Chushingura
    The Samurai Trilogy (Miyamoto Musashi)

OK, that's really four more classics, but the Samurai Trilogy is really one very very long epic for me. Hmmm, give me a few days and I'll come up with something that's not a Mifune film...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'm struggling to come up with a favourite that doesn't feature Mifune!
    New thread- favourite Mifune film!

Memoirs of a Geisha.

Er, wait....
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Samurai Fiction!

And then, pretty much what everyone else said.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

I have to agree with most everyone that Seven Samurai is indeed the finest representation in this genre. It's greatness and impact on the film industry simply cannot be denied. MK, I had heard about the new Criterion release but thanks for the link -- I already own 2 versions of the film, but may just have to fork out for this new set.

Gene, I see you mentioned the Musashi trilogy -- I really liked those too (they did have Toshiro Mifune after all in the lead role). I still prefer the novel by Eiji Yoshikawa, but most attempts at making great works of fiction into movies fail in some aspect. That book, to me, did for the Japanese samurai culture what Journey to the West did for Chinese culture and kung fu. I remember as a teenager, reading the entire 5-set paperback version at least 3 times -- I have always been a voracious reader but that is no small feat. I really liked the mentor relationship that the Buddhist monk Takuan had, and the philosophical lessons were as interesting as the duels and swordplay.

Hate to say it, but I didn't care for Takeshi's Zatoichi either -- I applaud him for attempting to breathe some fresh air into the series, and it does a very unique flavor, but it just wasnt' my cup of tea.

Here is a very well written history of samurai films called "A Man, a Blade, an Empty Road: Postwar Samurai Film to 1970" by San Francisco writer Allen White:
    http://www.greencine.com/article?act...=70&pageID=138

And another good article about the genre called "Samurai Cinema 101":
    http://www.midnighteye.com/features/...nema_101.shtml
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Another classic is "Sword of Doom". It's about a samurai who goes insane.

Tokyo shock has been releasing the Zatoichi TV series on dvd, and they are well worth it. It runs 100 episodes at 50 min a piece. They're every bit as good as the films, but don't have the blood squirts (too expensive). Also, only the plots are shorter...the fights and gambling and feats of sword skill all all still there in about the same amount as most of the films.

I am also in the camp for enjoying Takeshi's version.

Masazo Nonaka

The Key to Longevity for the World's Oldest Person Alive? Sumo Wrestling and Hot Springs
    By ASSOCIATED PRESS Updated: April 11, 2018 8:27 AM ET

(TOKYO) — Masazo Nonaka has enjoyed soaking in northern Japan’s hot springs for many years — probably longer than most people.

The supercentenarian, whose family has run a hot springs inn for four generations, was certified Tuesday as the world’s oldest living man, at age 112 years, 259 days.

Nonaka received the certificate from Guinness World Records in a ceremony at his home in Ashoro, on Japan’s northern main island of Hokkaido, and celebrated with a big cake decorated with berries.

Born on July 25, 1905, Nonaka grew up in a large family and succeeded his parents running the inn. The 105-year-old inn is now run by his granddaughter Yuko. He regularly soaks in the springs and also enjoys eating sweets, especially cakes.

Nonaka, wearing a knit cap and a kimono-style jacket, flashed a smile and posed for a group photo with his family, making a victory sign with his right hand.

He dug into the cake with a spoon after it was cut, and said, “Delicious,” according to NHK public television.

“Thank you,” he said.

His family members say Nonaka still moves about by himself in a wheelchair.

He reads a newspaper after breakfast every morning, and loves to watch sumo wrestling and samurai dramas on TV. But his favorite pastime is soaking in the hot springs and relaxing.

Nonaka has outlived all seven of his siblings, as well as his wife and two of their five children.

He is one of about 67,800 centenarians in Japan, the fastest-aging country in the world, with the highest average life expectancy — 80.98 for men and 87.14 for women, according to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare.

Guinness says Nonaka replaced Francisco Olivera of Spain, who died earlier this year at age 113, as the world’s oldest man.

A 117-year-old Japanese woman, Nabi Tajima, who is currently the oldest living person in Japan, is expected to be certified as the world’s oldest person, replacing Violet Moss-Brown of Jamaica, who died in September at age 117.
    Hot springs, sumo wrestling and samurai dramas FTW!

THREADS:
    Give it up to the elderly!!!!!
    Sumo
    Favourite Samurai movie
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart