Thread: shooting pain from hip to knee...?!?

Unhappy shooting pain from hip to knee...?!?

hey people

I have been sufferring from quite a bit of discomfort in my left hip, usually when sitting down.

Its a constant dull pain that occassionally shoots from inside of the hip joint, down the front of the leg, to the inside of the knee joint. Its really 'teeth gritting' sometimes.

The pain has come since trying to arc my leading left leg higher when doing a 'tornado kick'.

Anyone experienced it and does anyone know of anything to stop it hurting so much?

thanks people

craig

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot View Post
    hey people

I have been sufferring from quite a bit of discomfort in my left hip, usually when sitting down.

Its a constant dull pain that occassionally shoots from inside of the hip joint, down the front of the leg, to the inside of the knee joint. Its really 'teeth gritting' sometimes.

The pain has come since trying to arc my leading left leg higher when doing a 'tornado kick'.

Anyone experienced it and does anyone know of anything to stop it hurting so much?

thanks people

craig
    hard to say exactly without assessing you directly - you need to go and have someone look at it - being in UK, I'd say go find a good manually oriented physio or an experienced osteo (I'd go for the latter myself, but that's my bias - either can do the trick);

questions you want to be ready to answer: how long has this been going on? did it occurr immediately (sudden onset), such as when doing the kick, or has it been a gradual increase over time? is it getting better, worse or staying the same? when you say constant, do you mean it never gets any better at all or just never goes away completely? if it's usually in sitting, are there other positions which bring it on? other positions that decrease it? when in sitting, does it get even worse the longer you sit?

one thing I would try just to see if it helps: lie on your stomach with a pillow under your chest - this puts your back and hips into extension, which is the opposite position of sitting and doing a tornado kick - see what happens to your pain: does it get less in intensity? go away completely? if it does either of the two, that's good - you can try to hang like that for as long as you like to - maybe you can actually eliminate your symptoms this way - but it's no guarantee they won't come back...also in this position it can also get better in the leg, but maybe increase closer to the back: this is called centralization, which can be a sign of improvement - but it depends: in any case, I'd absolutely go find someone qualified to work with...

I strained (one of) my quads a month ago. When I was doing research, I came across some things that sounded like that. Maybe it's your rectus femoris. It runs from your hip flexor to your knee. But I'm no doctor.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

Lucky Numbers 11, 8, 39, 46, 5, 17

Hey people thanks for the replies

I am going to see what it is like after this week and then go seek professional help if it doesnt clear up.

I had a similar pain when I first doing the splits, I think its just the hip joint getting used to the new range of motion.

ill report back when something new happens.

craig

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ZhuiQuan View Post
    I strained (one of) my quads a month ago. When I was doing research, I came across some things that sounded like that. Maybe it's your rectus femoris.
    typically a rectus strain (or any of the other three quadriceps: vastus medialis on the inner side, vastus lateralis on the outside and vastus intermedius down the middle)wouldn't behave like that, increasing pain when you sit - the pain would usually be more with actions that the quads perform, like allowing controlled flexion of the knee as you descend steps (an eccentric, closed chain contraction, which is the most demanding type of contraction); based on his description of the pain's path, it sounds like something else...but he would need to be examined to say anything definitively (hence my not hazzarding a guess as to what it might be - it could be lots of things, no point getting carried away)

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot View Post
    Hey people thanks for the replies
    I am going to see what it is like after this week and then go seek professional help if it doesnt clear up.
    I had a similar pain when I first doing the splits, I think its just the hip joint getting used to the new range of motion.
    ill report back when something new happens.
    craig
    I personally don't believe in the extended wait and see game - if it doesn't clear up on its own in 4 to 5 days, with noticeable improvement by day 3, chances are it's not going to go away on its own any time soon (not definitely, just less likely) - of course, that depends on what you did, what you are still doing / not doing, etc.

as far as the joint getting used to it, that's a possibility - if you're working into a new range, the hip joint region can start barking a bit - you may be "decompensating", meaning that the way your muscle were balanced around the hip joint might have been there as the result of something else, and stretching out in a new way can upset that balance and now you're having a localised inflammatory response as the organism finds a new balance point - again, to me that is a great reason to go get some good manual because it's gonna help you adjust more quickly, with less pain, and might even root out some other "stuff" sitting in the system...

anyway, good luck, hope it works out for the best whatever you end up doing...

I had a really bad time with it last night, was awake pretty much all the time, so I went to see my GP today to get his opinion.

He said it could have been many things, but after moving my leg in a few different positions (let out a nice click on one of them), he said it wasnt a trapped nerve like I thought.

Basic outcome was that I over worked the area, with little warm up, causing me to strain/tear areas of the muscle around the hip/lower back.

So simple as, 1 - 2 weeks rest, lots of wisest oil, and a box of dvds.

thanks a ton for all the help on this....the pillow idea helped to maintain a decent comfort level when laying, so again thankyou.

kind regards
    craig