Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bodhidharma's Cane

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Those are so small they would easily be lost.

Earrings would have been nice except I understand his eyelids became tea bushes. So maybe a shoe and a box of tea would be nice!
    The shoe comes with the Japanese version, the eyelids and tea come with the Chinese versions.

I think they should also come with a box of silence.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Shaolin & sha0lin1

I'll ask the TN office to look into it.

When I used to make swords, we hired this carpenter who was living out of his van for a spell. He had a lathe in his van and would shape handle blanks for us at $5 a pop, which was cheaper than we could do and saved a lot of time. Unfortunately, he went his way eventually.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    @Blacktiger - In all honestly, it's challenging for MAM to ship to Oz, or any other country for that matter. There are unique customs regulations for each country and MAM frequently gets stung with a parcel stuck at the border, which is why shipping costs outside the U.S. are pretty pricey.
    Bugger I really want one!!!

They are on reorder

My Shaolin connect told me last week that it will take about two weeks to finish up a new batch. We're ordering twice as many as last time. I'm not sure how long it will take to get them from China to here however. Last time, it hit a delay because of our China's quality control manager. I'll keep you updated.

@Blacktiger - when they come in, contact sales@martialartsmart.com about ordering. That office is actually in TN and I can't really speak for them on this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My Shaolin connect told me last week that it will take about two weeks to finish up a new batch. We're ordering twice as many as last time. I'm not sure how long it will take to get them from China to here however. Last time, it hit a delay because of our China's quality control manager. I'll keep you updated.

@Blacktiger - when they come in, contact sales@martialartsmart.com about ordering. That office is actually in TN and I can't really speak for them on this.
    Thanks Gene will do

New Bodhidharma Canes

Designed by me.

Bodhidharma Cane
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Designed by me.

Bodhidharma Cane
    Looks great! Now how reliable is martial arts mart going to be about keeping them in stock? And how do we get them over on the sister company tiger claw? As a school owner I'd have to charge $40 buying them from martial arts mart just to make anything and I refuse to do that to my students.

We just got our first shipment of 200 units

The Tamo Canes that we had earlier were made by folk craftsmen from the Shaolin area. We sold out of them a lot faster than we anticipated, and restocking was challenging because we weren't working with a professional manufacturing company. Those makers were common folk. I designed these new Tamo Canes upon an old cane I got at Shaolin in '95, as well as several other examples I've seen over the years. They are manufactured by one of the companies that manufactures tonfa for us, so we know that they can deliver consistent quality.

As of now, these are strictly MartialArtsMart.com products. If we move enough units in a reasonable period, these will become a Tiger Claw product, but that might not be for a while. While MAM and TC are connected, they are separate companies. We'll often test market products for TC through MAM. We'll also sell items irregular items there, products that are not stable enough for TC. For TC, sales must be both brisk and reliable.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I appreciate the info.

what!!!!??!?!? another new cane?!?!
    this one looks so much better than the first batch.....i miss the one that I used when I was training with shifu shi de shan...i want one like that again.....=(

We're always striving to improve

The first batch were cheap, yet charming in a folksy way. These new ones are made by one of our martial arts manufacturing companies, so the quality will be a lot more consistent. Also, I've had them design them a little on the long side to accommodate taller practitioners. It's easy to trim of the end if you want them shorter.

And of course, we offer master kits - three, in fact.
    Bodhidharma Cane and Instructional Bodhidharma Cane & Shaolin Tonfa DVD
    Tonfa and Instructional Bodhidharma Cane & Shaolin Tonfa DVD
    Bodhidharma Cane, Tonfa and Instructional Bodhidharma Cane & Shaolin Tonfa DVD
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The first batch were cheap, yet charming in a folksy way. These new ones are made by one of our martial arts manufacturing companies, so the quality will be a lot more consistent. Also, I've had them design them a little on the long side to accommodate taller practitioners. It's easy to trim of the end if you want them shorter.

And of course, we offer master kits - three, in fact.
    Bodhidharma Cane and Instructional Bodhidharma Cane & Shaolin Tonfa DVD
    Tonfa and Instructional Bodhidharma Cane & Shaolin Tonfa DVD
    Bodhidharma Cane, Tonfa and Instructional Bodhidharma Cane & Shaolin Tonfa DVD
    can I trade in my first one for the new one?....lol...it came apart on me while i was performing...I knew i should of reinforced it with some glue..but I got lazy and didnt "prep" my weapon...my fault...lol

maybe one day when i get some spare money I will order this new one!

It looks pretty good gene! A lot better than most in DengFeng!

A lot of times the GuaiZhang break at the join between the cane and the handle.... But this is a lot more common if you practice the dui lian. There isn't really a good solution except to custom build a super tough one. I know a guy here who had one made completely out of metal! It was awesome. It was kind of a coppery-goldy hue. But I don't think there is a large market for that.

Gene, is there any plan to build an actual Shaolin Tonfa (Shuang Guai)?

I guess it is a bit too rare a weapon. Although the standard Tonfa would work well enough for the stand alone forms, it is not so useful in the Dui Lian (two man sets, like Shuang Guai Po Qiang). The actual ones are like miniature versions of the GuaiZhang, and have the hook protruding out the bottom of the handle. This is used to hook the opponents weapon and move it, just like a hook hand. Unfortunately a regular Tonfa just can't be used in this way. But to be honest these are hard enough to find in DengFeng, it is a rare weapon these days. I hope it gains in popularity because it is awesome.

Sorry, no trade-ins

Come on, now Pk_StyLeZ. How hard is it to repair a cane? Besides, we sold those folk-made canes for less than $20. That's less than a KFC Family Meal Deal.

RDH: I was toying with making a metal one too, back when I had access to a metal lathe. It was a crude manual lathe and would have taken days, so I never made any progress on it.

As for doing the shuang guai, that is a dream of mine, but at this stage, it's way too obscure to be marketable. At one point, I was hoping you could cut down the shafts of these canes, but that doesn't give the proper balance as shuang guai shafts flair slightly. One of the nice things about this video is that it includes both methods, so there's some cross-over to karate/open market, as some of those folk are interested the possible roots of their methods. That was completely intentional, of course. However, as we carry so many tonfa already, it'll be a while before a significant enough following for the Chinese version emerges to warrant creating a new product.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Come on, now Pk_StyLeZ. How hard is it to repair a cane? Besides, we sold those folk-made canes for less than $20. That's less than a KFC Family Meal Deal.
    Haha I was jking Gene =)
    It was basically my fault for not even testing the weapon out before performing with it, I usually test my weapons before using them in a performance, but this one time I got lazy and just used it on the spot. Which is never recommended!