Thread: Judo

Hybrid View

I would suggest Judo to anyone who is serious about martial arts.

Depending on who you practice with the classes can vary in difficulty, but in all three Judo "schools" I have attended it was, as you put it, very informal.

The best training technique for someone learning Judo is to take a partner, and throw him/her five times with each of the group 1 throws(De-ashi-harai, Hiza-guruma, Sasae-tsurikomi-ashi, Uki-goshi, Osoto-gari, O-goshi, Ouchi-gari, Seoi-nage) and then have him/her throw you five times with each of the group 1 throws.

Take turns throwing eachother in the above fashion for five minutes straight. Trust me five minutes will seem like a lifetime even if you've been training for a while.

Nota Bene: Do not train this way until you have the group 1 throws down, and you can fall/land properly. I cannot stress this enough, do not harm yourself by trying to jump the gun and try somthing you're not ready for. First suggest this to your trainer, if he gives the okay have him supervise.

The most important thing about Judo is to have fun. Even if you're competing, it should be an enjoyable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jera View Post
    I would suggest Judo to anyone who is serious about martial arts.

Depending on who you practice with the classes can vary in difficulty, but in all three Judo "schools" I have attended it was, as you put it, very informal.

The best training technique for someone learning Judo is to take a partner, and throw him/her five times with each of the group 1 throws(De-ashi-harai, Hiza-guruma, Sasae-tsurikomi-ashi, Uki-goshi, Osoto-gari, O-goshi, Ouchi-gari, Seoi-nage) and then have him/her throw you five times with each of the group 1 throws.

Take turns throwing eachother in the above fashion for five minutes straight. Trust me five minutes will seem like a lifetime even if you've been training for a while.

Nota Bene: Do not train this way until you have the group 1 throws down, and you can fall/land properly. I cannot stress this enough, do not harm yourself by trying to jump the gun and try somthing you're not ready for. First suggest this to your trainer, if he gives the okay have him supervise.

The most important thing about Judo is to have fun. Even if you're competing, it should be an enjoyable experience.
    Good suggestion, another one that I have always been a fan of is doing one throw and drilling the crap out of it, a whole class or training session based on 2 throw.
    You learn how to get it from every conceivable angle and how to defend against it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I tell people the best combination is changquan and either judo and jujitsu because ou can see application(s) in the former if you actually do the latter because you actually interact with the opponent and get thrown so you develop strategies to make yourself stronger and have real world experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Good suggestion, another one that I have always been a fan of is doing one throw and drilling the crap out of it, a whole class or training session based on 2 throw.
    You learn how to get it from every conceivable angle and how to defend against it.
    At my kwoon, when we are drilling throws and/or ground, our sifu will generally pick about three variations on the same technique... and we'll just drill the hell out of them.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Well, I canceled my Kung Fu class. I think just doing the judo is going to be plenty right now. Getting to actually drill techniques on resisting partners makes a ton of difference....
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

geez, going from a striking art to a grappling one is harder than one would think. My balance is wrong, my coordination is wrong, pretty much everything is wrong. I'm very hesitant to turn my back to uke when attempting a throw...

You guys that have mentioned you do judo as well, did you go through through this weird transitional period as well?
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Quote Originally Posted by naja View Post
    geez, going from a striking art to a grappling one is harder than one would think. My balance is wrong, my coordination is wrong, pretty much everything is wrong. I'm very hesitant to turn my back to uke when attempting a throw...

You guys that have mentioned you do judo as well, did you go through through this weird transitional period as well?
    When I stared Judo I was doing Boxing at the same time ( and place) and doing Karate too.
    Never had that problem.
    I know a boxer that took judo with me and he had a bit of trouble with the different footwork, but that's because he moved too much.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I did a bit of mcdojo karate and kempo when I was a little kid but my real introduction to martial arts was wrestling and judo. That predated my boxing... my timing and balance issues have tended to be the opposite.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.