Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    So, I did a search and did not see a thread titled Judo, or one looking dedicated to Judo.

I plan to be taking up judo pretty soon here, and I always look for more information sources and places to share and learn from, so I figured I would make a judo thread that I can post in as my journey progresses.

Also, I know there are several guys here into Judo.

I will be starting Judo here. A friend of mine trains there and is pretty pleased. Its traditional, which is what I am looking for. (what you guys think?)

I'll update here later with my experiences and how what I am doing is so rad

Im looking at having to wait for about a month or so, so I'm going to cheat and find standard solo judo drills and start practicing. Im picturing falling down a lot in my apartment and ****ing off my neighbors.
    Doing pull-ups by holding on to a gi will get your grip nice and strong.
    Tie a belt around a tree or pillar and train some throws.
    If you can afford it, invest in a throwing dummy, but they are mucho $$$
    If you wanna train breakfalls, outside is the best way- grass and in this case, snow.
    The thing is, while you can develop some of the atributes needs from judo alone, you won't develop any of the skills.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I've wrestled in snow before... once...

It's in some ways more fun and in other ways much less fun than you would expect.

Getting tapped out by having your head jammed into 2 foot deep powder until you begin to suffocate a little sucks.

And burns.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

naja: DOH! my search fu is weak i guess. hehe. Ill check out those forums, thanks for the links.

tsuei: isnt all the snow here crazy this year. lol. I'm pretty stoked about getting to start training there, they do kendo too so ill probably get into that eventually. ill totally let you know what i think. but hey, 15 bucks a month for some legit judo sounds like a deal to me!

Sanjuro: Thanks for that pullup exersize. Ill start that one right away, sounds fun. I'll have to go throw myself at some snow before it melts. attributes are what im looking for right now. any edge i can get on what ill be getting into ahead of time is what im after.

lol simon. that gives me a pretty funny mental image.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Hey Sanjuro,

Got any other cool conditioning exersizes you can suggest to me, to help up judo specific attributes

those pull ups are awesome.

at first i could only do a few, but im starting to get better at them.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

so in addition to pull ups ive been doing the first set of DL's and rows' with this same thing. I just cradle the bar with the cloth and give myself a bit to grab onto.

i looked into the various kinds of throwing dummies and will most likely get something similar to this once i actually start at the dojo.

so in addition to pull ups ive been doing the first set of DL's and rows' with this same thing. I just cradle the bar with the cloth and give myself a bit to grab onto.

i looked into the various kinds of throwing dummies and will most likely get something similar to this once i actually start at the dojo.
    That is the one I have, tape it up nice and good with duct tape and you can do some GNP and some clinch work./striking too.

one more week !!! im so stoked.

well i learned something last night. there is no way in hell that the bus system here will get me there on time. its not super far away but for some reason the only bus that goes out there is on a limited schedule, and i have to go all the way down town first to catch it. i should have looked into that first lol

plan b:

lucas buys a car.

well i learned something last night. there is no way in hell that the bus system here will get me there on time. its not super far away but for some reason the only bus that goes out there is on a limited schedule, and i have to go all the way down town first to catch it. i should have looked into that first lol

plan b:

lucas buys a car.

too far to jog? or cycle?

hmm i hadnt really thought of the cycle. i could get my bike fixed. (smashed by a car)

its about 10 miles. i know i dont have the conditioning to run 10 miles and then do judo for 2 hours.

i guess thats my fault.

i have been wanting to get a motorcycle though...so maybe thats an option for me.

right now i have a friend who has asked me to work with him on his kungfu, he wants to get back into it actively, he also has a friend who has been jumped a couple times in the past few months, who wants to learn to defend himself. im thinking i might start working with them right now, and see what i can do about the transportation.

i suppose i should have planned better than to just try and show up once i had the cash to start training.

you know, thinking about it this could be a good thing for me.

kind of a wake up call. im 30 and have never had my license......maybe its time LOL

you know, thinking about it this could be a good thing for me.

kind of a wake up call. im 30 and have never had my license......maybe its time LOL
    Freaking kids....

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Freaking kids....
    lol, right?

thanks for calling me a kid though.

Finally found a Judo club i can get to consistently, new place here in portland!!! stoked

50 bucks a month for unlimited classes.

last time i did a search for judo in my area the only place was way north and unattainable. this meets my schedule too where as the other place was too early for me.
    Last edited by Lucas; 07-10-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Finally found a Judo club i can get to consistently, new place here in portland!!! stoked

50 bucks a month for unlimited classes.

http://portlandjudo.com/

last time i did a search for judo in my area the only place was way north and unattainable. this meets my schedule too where as the other place was too early for me.
    Nice!

You're lucky. I had to quit my Kodokan club because of schedule conflictions. I really hope I can get back there some day. One of the most useful and most fun places i've ever trained.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb