Thread: Sabering Champagne

Sabering Champagne

I could've sworn I've posted on this topic before but I couldn't find that post. If anyone finds it, please post the link here and I'll merge. I remember there was instructions on how to saber champagne - I've never done it myself but it is allegedly not that difficult. I would be worried about getting glass in my drink.

This New Melrose Bar Will Saber Any Champagne Bottle Upon Request
    Severance opens September 4
    by Mona Holmes Aug 28, 2018, 10:09am PDT

Champagne sabering at Severance Fried Chicken Sandwich Studios

When a veteran industry sommelier opens an bar with smoked sherry-based cocktails, serves decorated champagne punch bowls in vintage glassware, with rare wines and fondue, that should be enough to draw people in. But the forthcoming Severance wine bar clearly wants to dazzle by making drinks interactive.

Not only are all servers and bartenders certified sommeliers, but owner Evan Charest will list wines by terroir rather than by varietal. Guests will be able to see and touch soil from wine regions, and champagne bottles can be sabered upon request when the bar opens September 4.

Charest is well-versed in designing cocktails and wine lists for Patina Group, which includes developing the programs at the Boardroom, Kendall’s Brasserie, Cafe Pinot, Nick & Stef’s, and Ray’s & Stark Bar. The cocktails are playful, and Charest hopes guests learn about his favorite hooch in the cozy 1,800 square foot space.

Charest designed a mai tai with two types of sherry, pistachio simple syrup, lime, and mint. Or there’s the Thai pineapple whip with dry filtered sake, sparking sake, Thai chili, toasted coconut syrup, lime, and pineapple whip. Another Patina alum Weston Ludeke put together a menu that’s sure to cause a food coma, including a fondue platter, beef tartare, and a fondue burger. And if that’s not enough, Charest added weekly events with friends from LA’s bar industry

Charest took over a space with a recent high-turnover rate. Severance’s predecessor, Alta Nordic Restaurant operated for slightly over a year, while Perfecto Rocher’s Spanish Smoke. Oil. Salt lasted two years. Evan Kleiman’s Angeli Caffe had a 27-year run, but closed in 2011.

Severance hours are Tuesday through Sunday from 5 p.m. until midnight, with happy hour from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., and 10 p.m. to midnight.

Severance. 7274 Melrose Ave. Los Angeles, CA

Charcuterie and punch at Severance

Fried Chicken Sandwich Studios
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

sabering fail

Follow the reddit link to see the vid. It's an epic fail.

FRENCH LAUNDRY FAILED SABER ATTEMPT SHOWS HOW NOT TO OPEN A $2K NEBUCHADNEZZAR
    1 Minute Read
    Produced by Tim McKirdy / @timmckirdy
    Updated on 2019-01-04

Photo Credit: splashtonkutcher / Reddit.com

Sabering Champagne is an impressive spectacle, perfect for special occasions like New Year’s Eve. Unfortunately, as the staff of Napa Valley’s three Michelin-starred French Laundry restaurant found out this week, things can go awry when trying to pry the cork off a highly-pressurized bottle of wine using an ornamental sword.

A recent video posted on Reddit shows the restaurant’s general manager Michael Minnillo unsuccessfully sabering a Nebuchadnezzar (15-liter bottle) of Champagne. According to the video’s poster, u/splashtonkutcher, the bottle in question was a $2,000 Billecart-Salmon brut.

Minnillo enlists the help of a staff member to hold the giant, party-sized bottle, while he identifies its seam and lines up his saber to take a swipe. With his first swing, the general manager removes part of the bottle’s lip, but, crucially, fails to dislodge the cork.

With several, subsequent failed attempts, Minnillo appears to lose patience and starts hacking at the bottle like an Amazon explorer armed with a machete. The bottle explodes, showering a crowd of onlookers with expensive sparkling wine and large shards of glass.

Posted byu/splashtonkutcher
    6 days ago
    French Laundry disinfecting their kitchen floors for the new year with some questionable technique
    152 Comments
    Thankfully, it seems as though everyone emerged from the incident unharmed, if slightly red in the face.

Published: January 4, 2019
    It just occurred to me that I've never actually sabered a bottle of champagne. Has anyone here?

I have a few bottles that I've been meaning to open. I should practice, right?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jac Cordeiro

A-ROD’S GIRLFRIEND USES CEREMONIAL SWORD TO OPEN CHAMPAGNE: ‘ALMOST DIDN’T MAKE IT INTO 2023’
    She’s strong!

BY JOVITA TRUJILLO -LOS ANGELES
    JANUARY 02, 2023 4:34 PM EST

Alex Rodriguez rang in the new year laughing with his new girlfriend, Jac Cordeiro. On Monday, the former baseball player shared a hilarious reel showing the fitness trainer open a bottle of champagne with a huge machete. Cordeiro was all smiles as she pushed off the cork that went flying toward A-Rod.

A-Rod quipped in the caption that he, “Almost didn’t make it into 2023.” “That came at you 300 mph,” quipped Chef Kelvin in the comments.

Cordeiro and Rodriguez started to make headlines a couple of months ago. In October, they were spotting shopping arm and arm at Rodeo drive.

The couple went Instagram official last month on December 17th ahead of Christmas. A-Rod shared a family photo of them in front of a huge Christmas tree in New York, alongside his two daughters Natasha, 18, and Ella, 14. “From our hearts to yours, Merry Christmas,” he captioned the pic.

After getting in time with the family, they spent Christmas Day together at the Miami Dolphins football game. Cordeiro shared a reel from their day, which included standing on the field.

A-Rod also shared a selfie with Cordeiro at the game telling fans, “Merry Christmas to all.” While it seems the former Yankees player has moved on from his split with Jennifer Lopez, his fans haven’t in the comments. Whenever he shares a photo with his new boo, several comments reference his famous ex. “She is not JLo,” wrote one user.
    Good technique (even if the blade was held backwards). Follow the link for the IG vid.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The $150 Rabbit Champagne Saber & Stand from Neiman Marcus

srsly? If you're going to saber champagne, get a real sword.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips