Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Judo

Judo

I'm going to start Judo soon (maybe this week). I'm excited, I had some limited shuai jiao before, but I feel Judo will contribute well to what I've been doing lately (submission wrestling).

here's a link to the place, may look like a mcdojo but my one friend seems to think its rather good

kimsjudotkd.com
    Last edited by bodhitree; 08-29-2006 at 05:12 AM.
    Bless you

Judo anyone?

Anyone on here practice Judo in the past or present?
    Last edited by naja; 10-15-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: I can't spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

I'm a San Kyu
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Shodan, with a side order of fries
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    I'm a San Kyu

What are you thanking him for? He just asked a question!

I watched a judo class tonight, and am thinking of joining. Seems allot different than my kung fu classes though, and I'm a little hesitant. Very informal, and in a fitness center where everyone and their brother apparently goes to. Very strange feeling when you're used to practicing in a more private setting.

Do you guys think that cross training in judo has helped you as a martial artist?
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Quote Originally Posted by naja View Post
    I watched a judo class tonight, and am thinking of joining. Seems allot different than my kung fu classes though, and I'm a little hesitant. Very informal, and in a fitness center where everyone and their brother apparently goes to. Very strange feeling when you're used to practicing in a more private setting.

Do you guys think that cross training in judo has helped you as a martial artist?
    Judo will teach you quite a bit about what goes on when someone grabs you, truly grabs you, with the intent to take you down.
    And it will teach you balance in a way not typical of striking systems.
    It will be a fine addition to your arsenal and allow you to understand how to deal with those kinds of attacks and how your fighting ability can be exploited by someone with judo training.
    In short, its a win-win situation.

I guess I was a little taken back by the informal attitude of the class. I thought about it some more last night, and I think I'll give it a shot. One other thing that kinda had me worried was that it is a mcdojo. The classes are free, you just have to buy your GI and sign a waiver. I guess I figured if it was worth it, then it would cost at least something.... I'm gonna try it though and see how it goes.

If they are affliated with the Kodokan, the curriculum is standard and they should be going to regular competitions, after all, judo is a competitive sport, the whole point is to compete.
    Its hard to be a "McDojo" in a competitive sport, unless you don't compete...
    Unless of course they are teaching "combat judo" or something like that, in that case it should be more "rough and tumble" with lots of strikes also.

This is from their website at http://johnsoncityjudo.com/

"We are affiliated with USJI and a USJA Charter B club"

They have a "tournament and results" page, which lists future tourneys...

I talked to the instructor after class was over and he mentioned that sometimes he has to tone it down a little when he gets younger guys in there, because they tend to be a little too rough. I think he was saying that because he doesn't want it to be seen as a rough sport, since it is in such a public place.

Judo is about as real an encounter that one has when engaging an actual opponent because in all, if not most instances, your 'enemy' will alway try to grab you.

This is from their website at http://johnsoncityjudo.com/

"We are affiliated with USJI and a USJA Charter B club"

They have a "tournament and results" page, which lists future tourneys...

I talked to the instructor after class was over and he mentioned that sometimes he has to tone it down a little when he gets younger guys in there, because they tend to be a little too rough. I think he was saying that because he doesn't want it to be seen as a rough sport, since it is in such a public place.
    Looks perfectly fine.
    Remember, judo, like any MA, gives you what you put into it.

I think it's mostly culture shock for me. The idea of practicing in front of 200 strangers is a little unsettling for me, I'm a pretty private person.

I'll get used to it though.

I think it's mostly culture shock for me. The idea of practicing in front of 200 strangers is a little unsettling for me, I'm a pretty private person.

I'll get used to it though.
    Here's an issue for you, don't forget to empty your bladder and bowels before a class, you don't wanna get choked out and lose control of them.

I bet no one would mess with me after that!! until I got a shower that is.....

I'm kinda excited about starting, but also nervous because it'll be so much different in applications and training than what I'm used to. I'm a little guy, 5'6" 160lbs. I'll probably get thrown around like a rag doll!!