Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Judo

Quote Originally Posted by naja View Post
    I bet no one would mess with me after that!! until I got a shower that is.....

I'm kinda excited about starting, but also nervous because it'll be so much different in applications and training than what I'm used to. I'm a little guy, 5'6" 160lbs. I'll probably get thrown around like a rag doll!!
    I am 5-6 and 170 myself so, yes, you will be thrown around a bit, just remember your "rooting training" and it will help a bit, though not for long !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

eh, maybe I'll use my short stature to uproot them!!!! ::evil laugh::

or I'll just get thrown on my @ss.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

McDojo for a while.

But I do Jiu Jutsu along with my Kung Fu now and will likely be doing Judo if I move to Prince George.

And short guys: I am annoyed by your low center of gravity. So if I can't throw you I'll clinch and then try to just haul you to the ground.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    McDojo for a while.

But I do Jiu Jutsu along with my Kung Fu now and will likely be doing Judo if I move to Prince George.

And short guys: I am annoyed by your low center of gravity. So if I can't throw you I'll clinch and then try to just haul you to the ground.
    The ground? BAH !!
    That's like 3" away from a deep horse stance !!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post

I was wondering if us shorter guys would have an advantage at all.

Well, not that being hauled to the ground is an advantage but you know what I mean. I think.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

The toughest opponents for me to wrestle with are invariably short and stocky.

Big and tall guys like me: not too many in my circle but when I have faced them most have balance issues. I don't have bad balance but that's down to years of working on it. A bit harder to manage on the ground unless they get worn down.

Tall lanky guys: EASY to throw... frequently the most dramatic throws are on tall lanky guys. Easier on ground than the big guys.

Short skinny guys: Very light, thus easy to throw and easy to dominate on ground due to weight differential... but gotta be careful got climbed by a short skinny guy like a monkey in a cliche tree once and choked out.

Short, stocky guys: Low center of gravity, heavier, hard to throw, also harder to get in arm and leg related locks on the ground. In my experience slightly easier to pass guard on short, stocky guys. I generally try to get cross body, mount or top body and try for a choke.

This is based on personal experience only and YMMV. My opinions on the matter should not constitute any sort of absolute.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Well, I'll be the shortest guy in the class. Most of them are somewhat stocky as well.

I may have my work cut out for me, but I'm fine with that. I'll end up a better fighter/grappler in the end.

That's the idea.
    Simon McNeil

I did a training seminar with Mike Swain. It was one of the best seminars I have been to. He was the nicest guy and watching his skill was unbelievable. I was thinking of going Judo after attending the seminar, but couldn;t find any place close enough.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Went to my first class last night. I am sore! Didn't think it would take that much out of me. It was very fun though, and it really brought to light how much of a ground game I didn't have.

Wrestling is hard work, really hard work.
    Simon McNeil

I would suggest Judo to anyone who is serious about martial arts.

Depending on who you practice with the classes can vary in difficulty, but in all three Judo "schools" I have attended it was, as you put it, very informal.

The best training technique for someone learning Judo is to take a partner, and throw him/her five times with each of the group 1 throws(De-ashi-harai, Hiza-guruma, Sasae-tsurikomi-ashi, Uki-goshi, Osoto-gari, O-goshi, Ouchi-gari, Seoi-nage) and then have him/her throw you five times with each of the group 1 throws.

Take turns throwing eachother in the above fashion for five minutes straight. Trust me five minutes will seem like a lifetime even if you've been training for a while.

Nota Bene: Do not train this way until you have the group 1 throws down, and you can fall/land properly. I cannot stress this enough, do not harm yourself by trying to jump the gun and try somthing you're not ready for. First suggest this to your trainer, if he gives the okay have him supervise.

The most important thing about Judo is to have fun. Even if you're competing, it should be an enjoyable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by naja View Post
    I was wondering if us shorter guys would have an advantage at all.

Well, not that being hauled to the ground is an advantage but you know what I mean. I think.
    It depends on your center of gravity, my coach(College Judo Club) is fairly tall(6'2 and about 175lbs) but he has the best balance out of anyone I have ever faced.

I'm in the short stocky range, 5'8 190lbs, but until I unlearned my Long Fist sparring style, I was thrown left, right, and down the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by jera View Post
    It depends on your center of gravity, my coach(College Judo Club) is fairly tall(6'2 and about 175lbs) but he has the best balance out of anyone I have ever faced.

I'm in the short stocky range, 5'8 190lbs, but until I unlearned my Long Fist sparring style, I was thrown left, right, and down the middle.
    That is fairly common, most striking systems teach rooting and balance based on strikes not grappling and that is enough to get you thrown over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by jera View Post
    I would suggest Judo to anyone who is serious about martial arts.

Depending on who you practice with the classes can vary in difficulty, but in all three Judo "schools" I have attended it was, as you put it, very informal.

The best training technique for someone learning Judo is to take a partner, and throw him/her five times with each of the group 1 throws(De-ashi-harai, Hiza-guruma, Sasae-tsurikomi-ashi, Uki-goshi, Osoto-gari, O-goshi, Ouchi-gari, Seoi-nage) and then have him/her throw you five times with each of the group 1 throws.

Take turns throwing eachother in the above fashion for five minutes straight. Trust me five minutes will seem like a lifetime even if you've been training for a while.

Nota Bene: Do not train this way until you have the group 1 throws down, and you can fall/land properly. I cannot stress this enough, do not harm yourself by trying to jump the gun and try somthing you're not ready for. First suggest this to your trainer, if he gives the okay have him supervise.

The most important thing about Judo is to have fun. Even if you're competing, it should be an enjoyable experience.
    Good suggestion, another one that I have always been a fan of is doing one throw and drilling the crap out of it, a whole class or training session based on 2 throw.
    You learn how to get it from every conceivable angle and how to defend against it.