Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Judo

I tell people the best combination is changquan and either judo and jujitsu because ou can see application(s) in the former if you actually do the latter because you actually interact with the opponent and get thrown so you develop strategies to make yourself stronger and have real world experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Good suggestion, another one that I have always been a fan of is doing one throw and drilling the crap out of it, a whole class or training session based on 2 throw.
    You learn how to get it from every conceivable angle and how to defend against it.
    At my kwoon, when we are drilling throws and/or ground, our sifu will generally pick about three variations on the same technique... and we'll just drill the hell out of them.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Well, I canceled my Kung Fu class. I think just doing the judo is going to be plenty right now. Getting to actually drill techniques on resisting partners makes a ton of difference....
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

geez, going from a striking art to a grappling one is harder than one would think. My balance is wrong, my coordination is wrong, pretty much everything is wrong. I'm very hesitant to turn my back to uke when attempting a throw...

You guys that have mentioned you do judo as well, did you go through through this weird transitional period as well?
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Quote Originally Posted by naja View Post
    geez, going from a striking art to a grappling one is harder than one would think. My balance is wrong, my coordination is wrong, pretty much everything is wrong. I'm very hesitant to turn my back to uke when attempting a throw...

You guys that have mentioned you do judo as well, did you go through through this weird transitional period as well?
    When I stared Judo I was doing Boxing at the same time ( and place) and doing Karate too.
    Never had that problem.
    I know a boxer that took judo with me and he had a bit of trouble with the different footwork, but that's because he moved too much.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I did a bit of mcdojo karate and kempo when I was a little kid but my real introduction to martial arts was wrestling and judo. That predated my boxing... my timing and balance issues have tended to be the opposite.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

well, I'm having a hard time with it. Who knows, maybe after another month it'll work itself out.

well, I'm having a hard time with it. Who knows, maybe after another month it'll work itself out.
    I can understand the coordination part, but the balance...well, its a tad tricky, but its easy to catch on, what systems did you do before Judo?

You know what activity my martial arts training kind of screwed up?

Bowling.

I'm so used to directing my arms towards the center line that I find my bowling balls tend to slice crazily to the sides.
    Simon McNeil

I can understand the coordination part, but the balance...well, its a tad tricky, but its easy to catch on, what systems did you do before Judo?
    shaolin-do baby. No wonder I'll all screwed up huh?

I'm debating on skipping judo tonight. The class is free so I'm not out any $$, but I hate to miss class. My knee is telling me I should skip class tonight. I'm thinking I should listen to it and try to schedule an MRI soon.

I got my green belt just before returning to Beijing one month ago to contuinue my Shuai Jiao training. I love judo it is a great art. It is practical and they have very sceintific methods of training. And it really is not that different from kung fu. It is like a very practical form of kung fu.

As a beginner you will train with black belts who will let you trow them in sparring. Gradualy they will offer more resitence. This method really teaches you usable skill.

shaolin-do baby. No wonder I'll all screwed up huh?

I'm debating on skipping judo tonight. The class is free so I'm not out any $$, but I hate to miss class. My knee is telling me I should skip class tonight. I'm thinking I should listen to it and try to schedule an MRI soon.
    Ah, shaolin-do.
    No need to say more.

Judo

So, I did a search and did not see a thread titled Judo, or one looking dedicated to Judo.

I plan to be taking up judo pretty soon here, and I always look for more information sources and places to share and learn from, so I figured I would make a judo thread that I can post in as my journey progresses.

Also, I know there are several guys here into Judo.

I will be starting Judo here. A friend of mine trains there and is pretty pleased. Its traditional, which is what I am looking for. (what you guys think?)

I'll update here later with my experiences and how what I am doing is so rad

Im looking at having to wait for about a month or so, so I'm going to cheat and find standard solo judo drills and start practicing. Im picturing falling down a lot in my apartment and ****ing off my neighbors.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    So, I did a search and did not see a thread titled Judo, or one looking dedicated to Judo.

I plan to be taking up judo pretty soon here, and I always look for more information sources and places to share and learn from, so I figured I would make a judo thread that I can post in as my journey progresses.

Also, I know there are several guys here into Judo.

I will be starting Judo here. A friend of mine trains there and is pretty pleased. Its traditional, which is what I am looking for. (what you guys think?)

I'll update here later with my experiences and how what I am doing is so rad

hehe, that's what I did. Two threads
    here and here

Two of my favorite judo sites are judoforum.com and judoinfo.com

I haven't come across any solo judo drills, other than shrimping and working with bands. I wouldn't want to practice breakfalls without a mat....

Looks like the real deal to me... You have an 89 yr old Sensei teaching on a regular basis and something must be right! I would like to check the place out myself. I still intend to go to Gregory Fong's Kwoon... when the road from Salem to Portland clears up! But Obukan looks like it would be a cool place and I would love to meet Onchi Sensei