Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Judo

judo is da bomb mang!!

i have a real issue remembering names though...

i need to buy a book to study or something.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    judo is da bomb mang!!

i have a real issue remembering names though...

i need to buy a book to study or something.
    The japanese names or english ones?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

the japanese
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

the japanese
    It is overly complicated for no real reason.
    There are limited throws:
    Hip
    Shoulder
    leg
    hand
    That's really it.

the japanese
    http://judoinfo.com/animate.htm

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    dude that rocks!!!!!! thx man

dude that rocks!!!!!! thx man
    You never seen that site before ?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You never seen that site before ?
    no lol. im actually pretty noobish in terms of the internet. i only know kfmo and netflix lol

i like this: http://judoinfo.com/animate1.htm since it shows both names side by side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It is overly complicated for no real reason.
    There are limited throws:
    Hip
    Shoulder
    leg
    hand
    That's really it.
    Chinese wrestling divides throws into "4 sides 2 doors":

- 1st side (your right leg attack the outside of your opponent's left leg).
    - 2nd side (your right leg attack the inside of your opponent's left leg).
    - 3rd side (your right leg attack the inside of your opponent's right leg).
    - 4th side (your right leg attack the outside of your opponent's right leg).
    - front door (your back touch your opponent's chest).
    - back door (your chest touch your opponent's back).

Does Judo have similiar category method other than just hip, shoulder, leg, hand?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-31-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

Does Judo have similiar category method other than just hip, shoulder, leg, hand?
    I'm a big fan of the back door!

Lucas, how long have you been training in Judo now? Judo was my first martial art when I was fifteen, I still enjoy watching it. I've been struggling to find some regular martial training that would fit with my work/school/budget restrictions...thought I was going to to do Tai Chi but I need some more physical...think I'll be doing Gracie BJJ starting next month.
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 05-31-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

Yeah but I have to be honest and maybe this is from the wrestling influence that I have too, but Asian MA tend to over complicate the "sim0pliest" of things with "unnecessary" words.
    And Japanese systems can be worse than chinese ones.
    There are active throws and reactive throws, throws that pull and throws that push, one throw can have 2,3 even 4 different names ( variations of) because of how it is done and when.

bummer

Judo head should resign now
    Jun 29, 2013

Mr. Haruki Uemura, chairman of the All Japan Judo Federation, announced Monday that he will resign around October to take the responsibility for a series of scandals that have hit the judo organization. His refusal to step down immediately is untenable. He should take seriously the call for him to step down sooner, which members of the AJJF’s regional council made the following day.

In January it surfaced that the coach of the All-Japan women’s judo team used violence on female judo players during practice. The coach, Mr. Ryuji Sonoda, resigned Feb. 1.

In a separate incident, a third-party investigation committee at the end of April handed Mr. Uemura a report on the AJJF’s misappropriation of funds from the Japan Sports Council (JSC). The report said the responsibility lay with Mr. Uemura as head of the judo organization.

The Public Interest Corporation Commission of the Cabinet Office, upon receiving a report from the AJJF on its scandals, pointed out that the judo organization lacked sincerity in its handling of the scandals.

Nonetheless, Mr. Uemura decided to stay on his course even as people concerned stressed that a complete change in the AJJF’s executive body is necessary.

Mr. Uemura said that it would be irresponsible of him to throw the AJJF into a state of confusion by stepping down without completing the reforms. He also said that he would like to hand his job to the next generation after making full preparations for them.

Although Mr. Uemura stresses the importance of reforming the AJJF, the scandals did not take place because there was something wrong with its organizational structure. The root cause is the AFFJ’s culture, which embraced the use of violent coaching methods. The AFFJ’s executive body also demonstrated a lack of a law-abiding spirit in the misappropriation scandal. The AFFJ had 27 unqualified judo coaches receive ¥36.2 million in support funds from the JSC and then donate most of the money to the AFFJ.

There are no fundamental defects in the AJJF’s rules, including those governing decision making. Rather, the attitude of the executive body is the problem. It is suspected that the executive body often made decisions without first having the board of directors hold the necessary discussions.

Mr. Uemura should help the executive body possess a law-embracing spirit by resigning immediately. This will enable a new executive body to quickly address the AFFJ’s problems. The appointment of the first three female directors on its board, including two-time Olympic gold medalist Ms. Ryoko Tani, offers a good chance to do so.

Mr. Uemura must pay serious attention to the fact that AFFJ sponsors have stopped donating funds. As long as he stays, judo will continue to suffer from a tainted image, and many children may refrain from joining judo clubs, thus weakening the future prospects of Japanese judo.
    Any judoka here that know more details about this?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Nice NYT article

From Rio’s Slums, a Judo Champion Is Mining Olympic Gold
    By JOHN BRANCHJAN. 7, 2016

Rafaela Silva tossing a fellow judoka. No sport has produced more Brazilian Olympic medalists than judo, and Silva, 23, is expected to join them. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

RIO DE JANEIRO — On a narrow, steep street about five miles from where the Olympic judo competition will take place in August, near a pile of unused bricks alongside Rua Agostinho Gama, 31 concrete steps hugged the outside of a building, rose and turned out of sight.

The stairs had no railing, and rebar stuck out several feet in a few places. Like so much of this dichotomous city, away from the beaches and into the hills and into the favelas, things seemed both under construction and crumbling.

A rooster in a cage sat at the landing at the top, and through the door where Rafaela Silva grew up and her family still lives, she shared a chair with her older sister, Raquel.

Rafaela Silva with her older sister, Raquel, outside their childhood home in Cidade de Deus, Rio de Janeiro’s most famously violent favela. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times
    Silva, 23, is expected to add another.

“The only medal I don’t have is an Olympic medal,” she said. “To have a chance to win one in front of my family and friends is priceless.”

The floor of the home was cluttered with laundry — mostly judogis, the heavy canvas judo uniforms — and the walls were covered in judo awards. Raquel Silva, 26, is an international judo champion on Brazil’s national team, too, but she fell short of qualifying for the Olympics.

Down on the street, Rafaela and Raquel’s mother, Zenilda, stood in her small storefront, where she sells propane and an assortment of sundries, like soap and rice. Her daughters built strength by carrying propane tanks on their backs.

She came upstairs carrying food for the guests — a pair of poundcakes, loaves of bread and bottles of soda — and apologized for not having homemade treats. Luiz Carlos, her husband and the sisters’ father, was away at his job as a mover, but he would have baked a cake had the family known that company was coming, she said.

When the girls were in grade school, the family escaped neighboring Cidade de Deus (City of God), Rio’s most famously violent favela, to find a safer place. There is less fear of persistent danger here, just a mile away, mostly because the street dead-ends at the top of the hill. Thieves, gunslingers and drug dealers have only one escape route, so they go elsewhere.

Rafaela and Raquel Silva in the home where they grew up and their family still lives. Their coach thought both of them could reach the national team as teenagers. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

The girls still found trouble, some of their own making.

“Here, if you don’t hit someone, you will be hit by someone,” Raquel said. “It’s survival.”

Raquel was once expelled for fighting in school. Rafaela frequently fought the neighborhood boys in the street. Three years apart, they sometimes attended different schools.

“We would meet to walk home together, and I would come around the corner, and Rafaela was already in a fight,” Raquel said.

Their parents helped steer the girls through the temptations. A nearby judo gym was one way. It provided structure and diversion.

“Judo has rules,” Raquel Silva said, as Rafaela nodded in agreement. “The street doesn’t.”

Geraldo Bernardes is a former coach of Brazil’s national team. More than a decade ago, his pupils included the Silva sisters. He immediately saw potential in them. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

The inside of Rafaela Silva’s right biceps, hidden under her judogi during competitions, is tattooed with the Olympic rings and a note, in Portuguese: “God knows how much I’ve suffered and what I’ve done to get here.”

Coach Saw Potential

A bit earlier and a few miles away, Silva’s longtime coach, Geraldo Bernardes, described her journey from the slums to the Olympics. Bernardes, with silvery hair and blue eyes, is a former coach of Brazil’s national team. One former pupil is Flávio Canto, a two-time Olympian who won a bronze medal at the 2004 Athens Games and is now a celebrity in Brazil.

In 2003, Canto started Instituto Reação (Reaction Institute), a judo school for all ages and abilities, in Rocinha, Rio’s largest favela. He joined forces with Bernardes, who had his own gyms, including one in Cidade de Deus. They have expanded Instituto Reação into a program with five gyms and 1,250 athletes, including 130 in its “Olympic” program, which Bernardes oversees. (Among the benefactors are the American Ronda Rousey, a 2008 Olympic bronze medalist better known for her dominance of mixed martial arts, who recently donated money to the institute.)

More than a decade ago, Bernardes’s pupils included the young, feisty Silva sisters. He immediately saw potential in them.

“Rafaela was always really aggressive, but in a way that I could direct her in a way that was good for the sport,” he said at Estacio University, where he recently moved his gym to a large open-air pavilion with a metal roof and a padded floor. “She had a lot of energy and a lot of aggressiveness. I saw that her energy could be directed to the sport.”

Silva’s gym is a large open-air pavilion with a metal roof and a padded floor. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

He thought both of them could reach the national team as teenagers. They did. But Raquel became pregnant when she was 15, knocking her out of training for a couple of prime years. (Her daughter, now 10, was on the family’s couch during a recent visit.) Rafaela caught up to her sister and ultimately passed her.

“She could have been better than Rafaela,” Bernardes said. “But she also had knee surgery and was really delayed. Rafaela overcame her.”

Vital Characteristics

Bernardes said that Rafaela Silva, who competes at the 57-kilogram weight class (about 126 pounds), had judo’s vital characteristics: coordination, balance, a long wingspan and a capacity to learn quickly. She was also left-handed, an advantage in judo the way it can be in other combat sports.

But she also had hunger, he said, even in a literal sense. She felt sick during her first training session with him, he recalled, because she had not eaten breakfast.

“Judo requires from the athlete a lot of sacrifice,” Bernardes said. “But in a poor community, they are used to sacrifice. They see a lot of violence; they may not have food. I could see when she was very young that she was aggressive. And because of where she is from, she wanted something better.”

Bernardes told the girls that he would not give them belt exams if they got into trouble at school or on the streets — enough of an incentive to keep them out of most trouble. He helped pay for the girls’ training, including travel to tournaments that the family could not afford.

“I did it at first because I liked it,” Raquel Silva said. “But Geraldo showed us another world. It was a job. It was a profession. That planted a seed.”

Rafaela did not take it as seriously. She still does not like to train. But she earned her black belt at 16 and became a junior world champion.

“Everything changed in 2008 at the world junior championship in Thailand,” she said. “That’s when I realized that this is what I want to do. All my life before then, all my fights were easy. They would last 10 seconds. And I could spend the rest of my time playing. But after the world championships, I realized things could be different.”

At 19, she won silver at the world championships. At 21, she won gold. But the tournament that haunts her was in between, at the 2012 London Olympics.

Then, as now, she was considered a serious medal contender. But Silva was disqualified during a preliminary match for an illegal hold, a technicality related to a recent rule change.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous

The inside of Rafaela Silva’s right biceps is tattooed with the Olympic rings and a note, in Portuguese: “God knows how much I’ve suffered and what I’ve done to get here.” Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

“The opponent was a girl from Hungary who I had beaten easily before,” Silva said. “I don’t know if I thought that I should just do this quickly, but the judge gave me one point, then changed it and disqualified me.”

The loss still burns.

“I trained four years for the Olympics, and now in a minute they were gone,” she said.

The immediate aftermath was worse. Some Brazilians on social media mocked her and called her racial epithets, one saying that “the place of a monkey is in a cage.” Silva could not resist responding, and did so with vitriolic name-calling of her own. The Twitter war attracted so much attention that the Brazil Olympic Committee stepped in to admonish the attacks, and judo officials persuaded Silva to stop replying to bigoted critics.

Nearly four years later, she does not regret her actions.

“Not at all,” she said.

Heartbreak in London

The episode nearly made her quit. She had overcome many obstacles to become one of the world’s best, but the closest she came to quitting was after the London Games, Bernardes said.

“She never showed that she would give up on the sport until 2012, when she was disqualified at the Olympics,” he said. “There were a lot of racist comments on social media. Nasty ones. And she answered some of them, fighting in social media, and got really angry. Then she got scared of going out on the streets and being harassed. I was afraid she would give up on the sport.”

Silva took a few months off. Her family worried for her.

“Rafaela got depressed,” Raquel Silva said. “She watched television all day and cried alone in front of the TV. Our mother cooked her favorite things to cheer her up, but that didn’t work.”

Bernardes wanted Rafaela Silva to come to the institute, to resume training and rebuild the fire. When she finally came, she happened upon a presentation by a sports psychologist. Intrigued and inspired, Silva resumed her physical training and added mental training, too. The next spring, her focus back and her frustration funneled, she became world champion.

And now the Olympics have come again, this time to her, just a few miles from home. Bernardes will coach her at the institute. Her sister, a weight class below, will spar with her. Her parents are hoping to get tickets to her matches. A nation will watch, expecting a result to celebrate.

And a neighborhood will cheer her on, to see if a young woman from the crumbling, chaotic streets in the hills can construct one of the unlikeliest Olympic stories for the home team.

Helena Rebello contributed reporting.
    I'm looking forward to watching the Judo competition at the Rio Olympics. That and the Beach Volleyball, which I usually disdain, but think will be extraordinary in Rio.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips