Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Indian Bruce Lee jokes

Hyderabad | Posted on Nov 21, 2011 at 11:08am IST
    Of made in India puns
    indianexpress Express News Service , The New Indian Express

ONE of the greatest contributions of Shah Rukh Khan to this joke-starved world has been his extravagant 150 crore initiative to revive interest in that old campus art form called ‘Bruce Lee’ jokes. Couched as a science fiction superhero movie - SRK’s Ra.One is well and truly an elaborate 154- minute surrogate commercial to peddle the infectious cheesiness of the Iski Lee, Uski Lee and Sabki Lee sub genre of Made-in-India puns. For the dim-bulbs who still don’t know what I am alluding to, the Bruce Lee Joke (BLJ) is the rite of passage for any Groucho who wants to be a Marx. It’s the adolescent brand of DIY drollery that’s about creating a Chinese character by playing on the word LEE. To put it in a Tamil context, it’s about inventing the mother of all mokkais. A BLJ is very much like a sneeze. It happens effortlessly. And when it happens, at least one person in the room will be able to see the humour in the hatchoo.

The beauty of it is, anyone can join the fun. The template BLJ is always about coming up with punny names by posing bizarre questions. Questions like ‘If Bruce Lee were to reincarnate as a naïve Indian woman, what would you call her?’ The answer to that would be Bholee Bhalee. That didn’t amuse you eh? Okay, here’s one more. What would be the name of Bruce Lee’s married Indian sister? Sumanga Lee. His epileptic Tamil uncle? Kaka Va Lee. And his kanjoos brother? Miser Lee! The trick is to play it like ping pong. First you serve a dolly such as ‘What is Bruce Lee’s favourite delivery? Goog Lee. The moment someone hears this, they’ll think, ‘Ah, I can do better!’ And an old PJ will tumble out. That’s a signal for you to try an original Chinese chop. You should reply: “What car does he drive? Bent Lee!” Before your opponent can collect himself, you must go for the kill with “His favourite song? Trulee Madlee Deeplee!” Deed done, battle won, you must khiskofy via the patlee galee and shout: “Teri Lay Lee’!
    I still don't know what they're talking about. Does that make me a dim-bulb?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A Bruce two-fer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bruce as Spidey

I only posted Bruce. Follow the link for the rest of the art.
    Here is a Marvel Super-Hero fan poster.

I had always dreamed that one day we could see a Marvel Super Hero movie.

Now we have the Spider-Man movies, the X-Men movies, Thor and now the Avengers. But they don't have my dream cast.

I hope you will enjoy this original take on these famous characters.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More Bruce figurines

Bruce Lee's Temple of Kung Fu X MAD Figurine Collectibles Announced
    By Pietro Filipponi
    Published: February 7, 2012 - 10:01am

Round 5 announces exclusive collaboration with art toy design legend Jeremy Madl, aka MAD, on its first ever release of Round 5 X Bruce Lee X MAD figures and the debut of Bruce Lee's Temple of Kung Fu line of collectibles.

The Temple of Kung Fu launch represents the first of several planned collaborations between Round 5 and established artists from the art toy space centering on the official Bruce Lee brand.

"There are so many different things to celebrate about Bruce Lee, the martial artist, the philosopher, the actor, but here we are just celebrating Bruce Lee - the legend," said Damon Lau, President of Round 5. "Working with MAD on a brand like Bruce Lee has been incredible, his passion for the brand is so evident in the design of this collection, which is amongst the best we've ever created."

The first Temple of Kung Fu figures scheduled for global release this summer will feature a 3-inch blind box assortment of 28 characters including a variety of mystery characters, and will be available at select retailers around the world. In addition to the standard figures, Temple of Kung Fu will include hyper-limited chase figures featuring alternative colorways, costume designs, and accessories.

The Temple of Kung Fu will feature a broad variety of figures inspired by the legend and career of Bruce Lee, and those of Kung Fu history and lore.

MAD, best known for his collaborations with Kidrobot, is eager to be working on the Bruce Lee brand. "I've been a fan of Bruce Lee since watching his movies as a kid, and he's become such an icon I jumped at the opportunity to create this line," said MAD. "I think everyone will be blown away by our first release."

Bruce is right up there with Bak Mei, the Great Sage Equaling Heaven, and some Shaolin monk dude.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

And then there's Cee Lo Green

Rocking the yellow and black in the Superbowl ad with the Kill Bill soundtrack.

The Voice - Vocal Kombat
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Smell like Bruce!

February 23, 2012, 11:08 AM HKT
    Bruce Lee: The Fragrance

Is that Bruce Lee you’re wearing?

Bruce Lee Enterprises, the business arm managing the late martial-arts star’s legacy, this week launched a line of colognes in Dubai bearing Mr. Lee’s image and name.

Shannon Lee, his daughter and the head of the company, said the collaboration came about when she met Chkoudra Paris, a French fragrance firm, at a licensing show about a year ago.

There are three fragrances under the Bruce Lee banner, with names that allude to his own unique brand of Eastern philosophy and spirituality. There’s B Water (which Ms. Lee describes it as “an elegant, casual scent”), Anger Blind (“spicy, more aggressive”) and Don’t Think Feel (“more woody and natural”).

Ms. Lee said the scents are intended for the mass market, selling for around $15 at major retailers like Carrefour as well as independent stores.

Do any of the scents replicate the colognes the late star wore in his heyday? Well, not quite, said Ms. Lee.

“My dad was quite fond of patchouli in the 1970s, as many hippies were,” she admitted. With this line, she added, “we didn’t want it to be too patchouli-heavy.”

The colognes have already been introduced in Panama and Singapore last year, but Ms. Lee says that the Middle Eastern launch is the largest to date. The next step, she said, is bringing the colognes to Hong Kong and China later this year — the two places where he is most revered.
    Now I'm remembering the great martial arts colognes. Remember Hai Karate? Ninja Colonge?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

LOL! I remember those Hai Karate commercials.

"Bruce Lee, Woodstock and Me" by Fred Weintraub

Weintraub is doing a book signing next weekend in Emeryville, which is about 20 minutes north of here. Unfortunately, it's a Saturday that I've already booked.

BRUCE LEE, WOODSTOCK AND ME

Fred Weintraub is the Hollywood legend you've never heard of. This visionary showman founded the landmark club The Bitter End in Greenwich Village; started the careers of Bill Cosby, Joan Rivers, Woody Allen and Neil Diamond; championed the making of the Woodstock film (saving Warner Bros. Pictures in the process); discovered the martial arts sensation Bruce Lee and produced the classic film Enter the Dragon, along with forty other motion pictures with such stars as Steve McQueen, George C. Scott, Robert Duvall, Kirsten Dunst and dozens of others. In his insightful, funny, bawdy memoir, Weintraub bangs heads with foreign dictators; mobsters; movie executives; difficult stars; and red-baiting producers -- and bangs headboards with a lusty succession of Sexual Revolutionary women on his fifty-year journey through the entertainment business. It's a trip you won't want to miss.
    Actually, why on earth would I want to read about his sexual conquests?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bruce cell

Mar 1, 2012 4:50 am
    Mobile Leaders Facing Network Complexity Look to Bruce Lee
    By Stephen Lawson, IDG News

The final keynote session of Mobile World Congress 2012 may be remembered, if it is remembered at all, as The Bruce Lee Keynote.

Both Sprint Nextel CEO Dan Hesse and ZTE President Shi Lirong invoked the legendary kung fu master in speeches during the Thursday morning event, which took place as the world's largest mobile trade show came to a close in Barcelona. Their comments summed up some of the challenges facing vendors and operators of mobile networks, which are becoming more complex even as data demand and cost pressures grow.

This week's conference has hosted a flood of new developments for heterogeneous networks of traditional macro cells, Wi-Fi hotspots, and femtocells and other small cells. The multiple parts allow carriers to get the most out of their finite spectrum and optimize coverage and capacity in all areas, but this requires new standards for managing those systems and helping subscribers move from one to the next.

ZTE's Lirong cited Lee to compliment Sprint, calling Hesse's company the premier example of a carrier balancing multiple networks. Sprint's services run over CDMA (Code-Division Multiple Access), iDEN and WiMax, and this year the company will also launch LTE (Long-Term Evolution). Likewise, Lee combined aspects of many different schools of Chinese martial arts, he said.

"A true master, like Bruce Lee, is one that can converge the skills of all kung fu systems," Lirong said. "The one that masters the converged solution for multiple networks will be kung fu master of telecom."

Earlier, Hesse had quoted the star of "Enter the Dragon" in describing Sprint's philosophy:

"Simplicity is the key to brilliance," Hesse said, quoting Lee. That sentiment may also have partly driven Sprint's decision, according to news reports earlier this week, to reject a proposed acquisition of midsize U.S. carrier MetroPCS. Sprint is already in the middle of building a multitechnology network that will carry its LTE services, and is navigating a complicated relationship with Clearwire, which supplies its current 4G network with WiMax. MetroPCS operates LTE and CDMA networks.

Juniper Networks CEO Kevin Johnson and Arm Holdings CEO Warren East discussed two other mobile network challenges in the keynote. Johnson said applications such as gaming and streaming video increasingly will demand the same speeds upstream from handsets to the Internet as they do downstream, which will force a change from the traditional asymmetric structure of most mobile and fixed networks.

Arm's East said power consumption is a major cost for carriers and one factor limiting the expansion of mobile networks. Arm can extend the type of efficient, integrated system-on-chip designs used in mobile devices, where it is dominant, into cellular base stations, cutting their power consumption by 70 percent, he said.

Stephen Lawson covers mobile, storage and networking technologies for The IDG News Service. Follow Stephen on Twitter at @sdlawsonmedia. Stephen's e-mail address is stephen_lawson@idg.com
    Remember the phone article earlier in this thread?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bruce Lee

I did a search of all the bruce lee threads, and they all seemed pretty specific, rather than just a generic 'bruce lee' thread. Move this as you see fit.

I'm a fan of bruce lee much like i am of jackie chan, jet li, and donnie yen, arguably these 4 guys are the most famous of all kungfu action stars. as far as i know (correct me if i am wrong) bruce lee is the only one of those 4 that set up a standard kung fu school, open to the public.

I came across this today and thought it was neat and interesting. Its some of the original plans for how bruce decided to operate the jun fan gung fu institute.

Shannon Lee's Vlog
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Bruce Lee resolution

Democrats introduce Bruce Lee resolution
    By Pete Kasperowicz - 05/11/12 09:28 AM ET

Five House Democrats on Thursday honored the life and legacy of martial-arts instructor and actor Bruce Lee for his teachings and his role as a bridge between American and Chinese cultures.

H.Res. 654, offered by Rep. Mike Honda (D-Calif.), recognizes the "immense impact that Bruce Jun Fan Lee had on American and global popular culture and the important role he played in creating a bridge between cultures, championing values of self-respect, self-discipline and tolerance in our nation, and pioneering and cultivating the genres of martial arts, martial arts films, fitness and philosophy in the United States and the world."

The resolution traces the life of Bruce Lee, who was born "in the hour of the Dragon, between 6 and 8 a.m., in the year of the Dragon on Nov. 27, 1940, at the Jackson Street Hospital in San Francisco." Lee returned to Hong Kong at a young age, and after beginning his life in martial arts, came again to the United States in 1959 "with only $100 to his name."

Lee taught the art of Gung Fu to help pay for his education, and the resolution praises him for teaching martial arts to non-Chinese people in the United States.

"In 1965, Bruce's willingness to teach martial arts to non-Chinese individuals as a way to bridge the cultures angered many in the field, and forced him to defend himself and his freedom to teach, but victory in this contest paved the way for a spectacular and revolutionary discovery of blending physical fitness, Gung Fu and street combat into what is now called Jeet Kune Do," it reads.

Lee started his work in film in 1971, culminating in the making of "Enter the Dragon" in 1973. But in that same year, Lee fell into a coma and died at the age of 32.

"Bruce would not live to see the opening of his film, 'Enter the Dragon,' nor would he experience the accumulated success of almost 40 years of all his films' popularity," the resolution says.

Reps. Hansen Clarke (D-Mich.) and Laura Richardson (D-Calif.), and Dels. Eni Faleomavaega (D-American Samoa) and Gregorio Sablan (D-Northern Mariana Islands) co-sponsored the resolution.
    Nice to know that Samoa and Mariana are with us on this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bruce Lee Memorials

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...you cut us off enoajnin. Plus there are pics of the home on the site
    GeneChing , Did ' nt Alexander Fu sheng the Shaw Brothers kung fu acter buy the late bruce lee ' s home and lived in it , until the dayhe died ? Too bad for fu sheng , he was a great actor , and a very useful one too .