Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee Memorials

It was 44 years ago today...

Just got this press release:

On the anniversary of the passing of martial artist icon Bruce Lee this week, TidalWave productions is releasing a new exclusive comic book biography.

Tribute: Bruce Lee features a special edition has exclusive never seen art with a new cover.

[IMG]https://comics-spin****comics.netdna-ssl.com/stormfront/comics/tribute-bruce-lee-1/featured/TributeBRUCELEEexclusive.jpg?w=250[/IMG]

Actor, teacher, philosopher, icon, these are just a few of the words that describe the most influential martial artist of all time: Bruce Lee. Immortal Dragon: Bruce Lee follows Bruce's life from his infancy starting out as a child actor to his tragic death and posthumous superstardom.

The 32-page comic book, written by Chris Canibano, illustrated by Korean artist Joon Hanwith.

“I found it very rewarding to work on the book and fascinating to find out things about his childhood acting that I had not known. I have been a fan of Bruce's since I saw his movies as a child, and it was a treat to get to spend time researching his life. He continues to inspire millions of people to this very day, with his quotes on life and his groundbreaking martial arts style,” said writer Chris Canibano.

The Tribute line of comic books tells the stories of the classic entertainers that have passed on,” says TidalWave publisher, Darren G. Davis “It is a way for us to honor these people who have made a difference in the world.

Previous subjects that have been featured in the “Tribute” line include Elizabeth Taylor, Frank Capra, Michael Jackson, Marilyn Monroe and James Dean.

Spin**** Comics is the only place to get the exclusive comic book for $3.99: http://bit.ly/2uMJB9Z

The original version is still available for download to your e-reader from iTunes, Kindle, Nook, ComiXology, DriveThru Comics, Google Play, My Digital Comics, Overdrive, Iverse, Biblioboard, Flipkart, ComicBin, Axis360, Blio, Entitle, Comicblender, Kobo and wherever eBooks are sold.

Click here to see the orginal book on iTunes: http://bit.ly/HB6nFB

About TidalWave Entertainment

Formerly known as Bluewater Comics, TidalWave delivers a multimedia experience unparalleled in the burgeoning graphic fiction and nonfiction marketplace. Dynamic storytelling coupled with groundbreaking art delivers an experience like no other. Stories are told through multiple platforms and genres, gracing the pages of graphic novels, novelizations, engaging audio dramas, cutting-edge film projects, and more. Diversity defines TidalWave’s offerings in the burgeoning pop culture marketplace, offering fresh voices and innovative storytellers.

As one of the top independent publishers of comic book and graphic novels, TidalWave Entertainment unites cutting-edge art and engaging stories produced by the publishing industry’s most exciting artists and writers. Its extensive catalog of comic book titles includes the bestsellers “10th Muse” and “The Legend of Isis,” complimented by a line of young adult books and audiobooks. TidalWave’s publishing partnerships include entertainment icon William Shatner (“TekWar Chronicles”), legendary filmmaker Ray Harryhausen (“Wrath of the Titans,” “Sinbad: Rogue of Mars,” “Jason and the Argonauts,” and more), novelists S.E. Hinton (“The Puppy Sister”) and William F. Nolan (“Logan’s Run”), and celebrated actors Vincent Price (“Vincent Price Presents”), Dirk Benedict of the original “Battlestar Galactica” (“Dirk Benedict in the 25th Century”), and Adam West of 1966’s “Batman” fame (“The Mis-Adventures of Adam West”). TidalWave also publishes a highly-successful line of biographical comics under the titles “Orbit,” “Fame,” “Beyond,” “Tribute,” “Female Force,” and “Political Power.”
    StormFront | Tribute: Bruce Lee #1 | Spin**** Comics
    TRIBUTE: BRUCE LEE #1

[IMG]https://comics-spin****comics.netdna-ssl.com/stormfront/comics/tribute-bruce-lee-1/featured/TributeBRUCELEEexclusive.jpg?w=250[/IMG]

Publisher StormFront
    Issue 1
    Type Graphic Novel
    Format Traditional
    Genre biography
    Writer Chris Canibano
    Pencils Joon Han
    Buy Tribute: Bruce Lee #1
    Read Tribute: Bruce Lee #1
    SYNOPSIS
    Actor, Teacher, Philosopher, Icon. These are just a few of the words that describe the most influential martial artist of all time: Bruce Lee. Immortal Dragon: Bruce Lee follows Bruce's life from his infancy starting out as a child actor to his tragic death and posthumous superstardom.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

44th anniversary

Someday I really should go to pay my respects.

Bruce Lee fans pay respects at Seattle gravesite
    by Ryan Yamamoto Thursday, July 20th 2017

This week, hundreds of fans will pay their respects at the graves of Bruce Lee and his son, Brandon. Bruce Lee died 44 years ago, on July 20, 1973, at the age of 32. (Photo: KOMO News)

[IMG]//static-28.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/0c30ff28-0a5d-4834-8340-4518102b73ca-BrucelLee3.JPG[/IMG]
    SEATTLE -- Even in death, Bruce Lee’s life continues to have an impact.

This week, hundreds of his fans and followers will make the trip to Lake View Cemetery in Seattle to visit his and his son Brandon’s gravesite to pay their respects to the martial arts master.
    “To be here at this time on the anniversary of his passing it feels really cool,” said Anthony Gazotti, who traveled from Colorado. “All energy here is amazing.”
    Bruce Lee died 44 years ago, on July 20, 1973, at the age of 32.
    Seventeen-year-old Russell Chow traveled with his family from Los Angeles. He began studying Lee’s martial arts system of “Jeet Kune Do” at the age of 5.
    “He is just a big part of my life,” said Chow. “He is the guy who taught all the teachers that taught my teacher. He is the originator of all the martial arts I have ever done.”
    At the Wing Luke Museum, the “Bruce Lee” exhibit has been on display since 2014. The current exhibition will be extended to February of 2018, and a new exhibition will open in March of 2018 that will focus entirely on his connection to Seattle.
    “I think the majority of people connect to his movies, but I think when they come to museum they understand there is much more to this guy than just an action flick,” said Lee historian, Rahul Gupta.
    Gupta says many people who follow Lee become fascinated with master’s philosophy, artwork and poetry—including his relationship with the Seattle area.
    “He connected with the variety you see in nature that you see in the Puget Sound area,” said Gupta. “I think people gravitate to individuals who connect to the universe bigger than themselves.”
    The Wing Luke Museum is at 719 S. King St. The Lake View Cemetery is at 1554 15th Ave. E.. It is open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. during the summer.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Siu Loong Airbus

Will this be as cool as Kung Fu Panda's Dreamliner?

Bruce Lee Takes Flight as Hong Kong’s HK Express Names Aircraft After Him
    By Lawrence Theo - Sep 21, 2017

Bruce Lee was admired for his high-flying kicks. Now he’ll be way up there with Hong Kong-based airline HK Express naming one of their aircraft after him.

That’s right, the English transliteration of Bruce Lee’s Chinese stage name, “Siu Loong”, has been bestowed on an Airbus A321 aircraft with the official registration number: B-LEE.

“We named our fifth A321 aircraft ‘Siu Loong’ as a tribute to Bruce Lee and as an inspiration for travelers to embody his fighting spirit in transcending cultural borders,” said Andrew Cowen, director, and CEO of HK Express.

“Our Facebook campaign has received a tremendous response as many fans shared their favorite Bruce Lee quotes – a true testament to his lasting legacy as the city’s first mega international movie star, martial arts icon, and philosopher.”

For today’s maiden flight of the “Siu Loong”, guests will be given a souvenir bearing Lee’s signature fighting wail, “Wataaa!”.

“Bruce Lee is revered for the grace and skill of his martial art that packs power in every move. These are also the qualities that have enabled HK Express to punch above our weight in the highly competitive airline industry,” said Cowen.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

authorized

I don't play MOBAs (or any videogames for that matter) - anyone play this?

Legendary Kung-Fu Master Bruce Lee Joins The Heroes Evolved Cast
    PR Newswire
    Oct. 3, 2017, 10:30 AM

HONG KONG, Oct. 3, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Heroes Evolved launched several months ago, and is still going strong thanks to its streamlined approach to the tried and true MOBA formula. With over 7 million downloads, a yearly organized championship with compelling prize pools, worldwide servers, & more, Heroes Evolved has carved itself a nice slice of the MOBA-genre pie.

Though most popular MOBA titles have a character similar in appearance to world famous Bruce Lee, only one such game has the real thing. R2Games is announcing an exclusive partnership with Bruce Lee, LLC (owned and operated by Bruce Lee's daughter, Shannon Lee) to bring the legendary Kung-Fu Master to Heroes Evolved as a playable character.

Heroes Evolved is a 5v5 online arena game, in which players assume the role of a powerful hero, and work together as a team to destroy the opposing base. Gameplay is fast paced, tactical, and above all - very fun. It appeals to both casual and more hardcore gamers, offering multiple modes with a focus ranging from serious tournaments, to all out just-for-laughs brawls.

"We are very proud to be the first to officially bring Bruce Lee to the world of MOBA games. We're long-time fans and can't wait to pit all our other heroes against the world renowned Bruce Lee!" - Yumin WANG, R2Games Global Publishing Director

For those that don't know who Bruce Lee is, he stands among some of the most iconic people of our time. As an accomplished actor, director, martial artist, and philosopher, Bruce Lee paved the way for positive reception of Asian actors in American cinema, and will always be remembered as a true Hero.

Bruce Lee represents the first in what R2Games intends to be a series of recognizable playable characters from other properties. He will be available mid-October in Heroes Evolved, with R2 hosting a number of related events to celebrate the occasion, and invite gamers from around the world to join in over on their official website, as well as in-game.

Play now on iOS and Android!
    Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesEvolvedMobile

The Bruce Lee name, image, likeness and all related indicia are the exclusive intellectual property of Bruce Lee Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. www.brucelee.com.

View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300528702.html

SOURCE R2Game Co. Limited
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Note the name of the fighting fish...

Fish Depression Is Not a Joke

Bruce Lee, the lethargic fish in the hotel room, was even closer to the rocks than this betta.
    ROLF KOPFLE / PHOTOLIBRARY, VIA GETTY IMAGES

OCTOBER 16, 2017
    Trilobites
    By HEATHER MURPHY

Can a fish be depressed? This question has been floating around my head ever since I spent a night in a hotel across from an excruciatingly sad-looking Siamese fighting fish. His name was Bruce Lee, according to a sign beneath his little bowl.

There we were trying to enjoy a complimentary bloody mary on the last day of our honeymoon and there was Bruce Lee, totally still, his lower fin grazing the clear faux rocks on the bottom of his home. When he did finally move, just slightly, I got the sense that he would prefer to be dead.

The pleasant woman at the front desk assured me that he was well taken care of. Was I simply anthropomorphizing Bruce Lee, incorrectly assuming his lethargy was a sign of mental distress?

When I sought answers from scientists, I assumed that they would find the question preposterous. But they did not. Not at all.

It turns out that not only can our gilled friends become depressed, but some scientists consider fish to be a promising animal model for developing anti-depressants. New research, I would learn, has been radically shifting the way that scientists think about fish cognition, building a case that pet and owner are not nearly as different as many assume.

“The neurochemistry is so similar that it’s scary,” said Julian Pittman, a professor at the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences at Troy University in Alabama, where he is working to develop new medications to treat depression, with the help of tiny zebrafish. We tend to think of them as simple organisms, “but there is a lot we don’t give fish credit for.”

Dr. Pittman likes working with fish, in part, because they are so obvious about their depression. He can reliably test the effectiveness of antidepressants with something called the “novel tank test.” A zebrafish gets dropped in a new tank. If after five minutes it is hanging out in the lower half, it’s depressed. If it’s swimming up top — its usual inclination when exploring a new environment — then it’s not.

In Dr. Pittman’s lab, researchers induce depression in a fish by keeping it drunk on ethanol for two weeks, then cutting off the supply, forcing it into withdrawal. This here is a depressed fish. Both clips, which represent a small segment of the five minute tank test, were extracted at comparable speeds. Troy University

Give a depressed bottom lurker an effective antidepressant and within two weeks it will swim up top again. Troy University

The severity of the depression, he says, can be measured by quantity of time at the top vs. the bottom all of which seemed to confirm my suspicions about Bruce Lee.

All of this, of course, may sound fishy to any of the one in six people who has experienced clinical depression. How could a striped minnow relate to what you’ve been through? Is “depression” the right word?

While scientists have used animals, like mice, to study emotional problems for decades, the relevance of those models to human experience is sketchy at best.

There’s the obvious issue that “We cannot ask animals how they feel,” says Dr. Diego A. Pizzagalli, the director of the Center For Depression, Anxiety and Stress Research at Harvard Medical School. Though researchers may find parallels in serotonin and dopamine fluctuations, neither fish nor rat can “capture the entire spectrum of depression as we know it,” says Dr. Pizzagalli.

There is a heated debate in the fish research community about whether anxious or depressed is a more appropriate term.

But what has convinced Dr. Pittman, and others, over the past ten years is watching the way the zebrafish lose interest in just about everything: food, toys, exploration — just like clinically depressed people.

“You can tell,” said Culum Brown, a behavioral biologist at Macquarie University in Sydney who has published more than 100 papers on fish cognition. “Depressed people are withdrawn. The same is true of fish.”

The trigger for most domestic fish depression is likely lack of stimulation, said Victoria Braithwaite, a professor of fisheries and biology at Penn State University, who studies fish intelligence and fish preferences.

Study after study shows how fish are defying aquatic stereotypes: some fish use tools, others can recognize individual faces.

“One of the things we’re finding that fish are naturally curious and seek novel things out,” said Dr. Braithwaite. In other words, your goldfish is probably bored. To help ward off depression, she urges introducing new objects to the tank or switching up the location of items.

Dr. Brown agrees, pointing to an experiment he conducted, that showed that if you leave a fish in an enriched, physically complex environment — meaning lot of plants to nibble on and cages to swim through — it decreases stress and increases brain growth.

The problem with small tanks is not just the lack of space for exploration, said Dr. Brown, but also the water quality tends to be unstable and there may not be sufficient oxygen.

“A goldfish bowl for example is the worst possible situation,” he said.

If you own fish, you might want to consider where Dr. Brown keeps his: an extensively-landscaped six-foot tank. He recommends a “two foot tank with lots of plants and stuff” for your average betta.

The last time a guest posted Bruce Lee to Instagram he was looking good and lively. Perhaps that new green leaf in his bowl had provided the enrichment he craved.

But then, my heart sank. The internet produced photos of other Bruce Lees from the same hotel in several colors — red, blue and purplish. I wondered whether the monotony would eventually drive this replacement Bruce, to hover, immobile, near his transparent rocks.[/B]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

BRUCE LEE: SPIRIT OF THE DRAGON 11/3-11/25 Sketchpad Gallery, San Francisco

BRUCE LEE: SPIRIT OF THE DRAGON

Friday, November 3, 2017 - 6:00 to 9:00

The Bruce Lee Foundation and Sketchpad Gallery are proud to present "Spirit of the Dragon", a Bruce Lee tribute art show. Featuring local and international artists who have contributed to work from companies such as Marvel Comics, DC, IDW, Lucasfilm, Pixar, Sony and others, this exhibition will showcase their interpretations of Bruce Lee and his teachings.
    Aw man, I should check this out. It's about three blocks from where I used to work in SOMA. I wish I had known because I was in SF last Friday and I'm not sure I'll be back before it closes. I'm scheduled to be in SF next Thursday, and not too far from there, but I'm on a schedule so I'm not sure if I'll have the luxury to check it out.

Also I could've sworn I already split 62 posts above into an independent Bruce Lee Museums and Gallery Exhibits thread from the Bruce Lee Memorials thread. But I can't find it so maybe it's just something I've thought about doing for a while and finally got around to it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Newsweek Special Edition: Bruce Lee

http://www.newsweek.com/bruce-lees-b...ancisco-743073
    BY NEWSWEEK SPECIAL EDITION ON 12/14/17 AT 7:10 AM

This article, along with others on the magnificent life and iconic career of actor and martial arts master Bruce Lee, is featured in Newsweek's Special Edition: Bruce Lee.

"Mere technical knowledge is only the beginning of kung fu; to master it, one must enter into the spirit of it,” explained Bruce Lee.

As an instructor of this sacred Chinese practice, his initiative was to teach anyone that demonstrated skill, as well as the commitment to learn the art, regardless of their heritage or background. When Bruce opened his studio in Oakland, California, in 1964, he hoped it could be a place free of animosity, with students bonding together over a common dedication to kung fu. To sustain this sanctuary, he put a regulation in place within his institute, which implored students to keep the techniques they learned from Bruce to themselves. His hope was by keeping his school under the radar, he could avoid raising the ire of rival schools.

Despite Bruce’s efforts to avoid any tension with nearby kung fu studios, trouble arose in December 1964. The traditional martial arts community objected to him teaching Westerners, whom they considered to already have a natural upper hand in terms of size and strength. They also did not approve of him sharing the “secrets” of their esteemed art to those who were not of Chinese descent. In order to stop Bruce from giving away what they saw as their culture’s sacred secrets, they issued the young upstart a challenge: If a kung fu master of their choosing could defeat Bruce in battle, he would have to stop teaching kung fu to non-Chinese. Their champion was another kung fu master called Wong Jack Man.

Wong had recently arrived from Hong Kong and was teaching across the bay from Bruce in San Francisco. This formidable master enjoyed a greater reputation than the young Bruce as a practitioner of kung fu, and he was looking to make a name for himself in the U.S. Wong boldly marched into Bruce’s own school and presented him with a written challenge to fight.

The duel took place in a small Oakland studio. The small number of eyewitnesses on hand has helped contribute to the mystery surrounding the exact, blow-by-blow details of the battle, but most agree it was an all-out exchange that left both combatants exhausted. Near the end of the fight, Wong reportedly turned to run but was intercepted, and Lee took the opportunity to begin punching him on the back of his head. In a 1976 issue of Black Belt magazine a friend of Bruce’s quoted him as saying, “I chased him and, like a fool, kept punching his head and back; my fists were already swelling from his hard head. Then, I did something I’d never done before: I put my arm round his neck and knocked him on his ass. I kept whacking him as he lay on the floor—until he gave up.”

Bruce’s victory ensured the continuation of his teaching kung fu to all worthy enough to accept his lessons, and it helped solidify his place as one of the art form’s greatest champions.

This article written by Editorial Assistant Amber Blossman was excerpted from Newsweek Special Edition: Bruce Lee. For more on the life and legacy of the timeless legend pick up a copy today.

Bruce Lee Memorials

Bruce Lee vs. Wong Jack Man fight
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Newsweek Special Edition: Bruce Lee

BRUCE LEE'S FIGHT TO SPREAD THE ART OF KUNG FU IN AMERICA
    BY NEWSWEEK SPECIAL EDITION ON 12/14/17 AT 7:10 AM

This article, along with others on the magnificent life and iconic career of actor and martial arts master Bruce Lee, is featured in Newsweek's Special Edition: Bruce Lee.

"Mere technical knowledge is only the beginning of kung fu; to master it, one must enter into the spirit of it,” explained Bruce Lee.

As an instructor of this sacred Chinese practice, his initiative was to teach anyone that demonstrated skill, as well as the commitment to learn the art, regardless of their heritage or background. When Bruce opened his studio in Oakland, California, in 1964, he hoped it could be a place free of animosity, with students bonding together over a common dedication to kung fu. To sustain this sanctuary, he put a regulation in place within his institute, which implored students to keep the techniques they learned from Bruce to themselves. His hope was by keeping his school under the radar, he could avoid raising the ire of rival schools.

Despite Bruce’s efforts to avoid any tension with nearby kung fu studios, trouble arose in December 1964. The traditional martial arts community objected to him teaching Westerners, whom they considered to already have a natural upper hand in terms of size and strength. They also did not approve of him sharing the “secrets” of their esteemed art to those who were not of Chinese descent. In order to stop Bruce from giving away what they saw as their culture’s sacred secrets, they issued the young upstart a challenge: If a kung fu master of their choosing could defeat Bruce in battle, he would have to stop teaching kung fu to non-Chinese. Their champion was another kung fu master called Wong Jack Man.

Wong had recently arrived from Hong Kong and was teaching across the bay from Bruce in San Francisco. This formidable master enjoyed a greater reputation than the young Bruce as a practitioner of kung fu, and he was looking to make a name for himself in the U.S. Wong boldly marched into Bruce’s own school and presented him with a written challenge to fight.

The duel took place in a small Oakland studio. The small number of eyewitnesses on hand has helped contribute to the mystery surrounding the exact, blow-by-blow details of the battle, but most agree it was an all-out exchange that left both combatants exhausted. Near the end of the fight, Wong reportedly turned to run but was intercepted, and Lee took the opportunity to begin punching him on the back of his head. In a 1976 issue of Black Belt magazine a friend of Bruce’s quoted him as saying, “I chased him and, like a fool, kept punching his head and back; my fists were already swelling from his hard head. Then, I did something I’d never done before: I put my arm round his neck and knocked him on his ass. I kept whacking him as he lay on the floor—until he gave up.”

Bruce’s victory ensured the continuation of his teaching kung fu to all worthy enough to accept his lessons, and it helped solidify his place as one of the art form’s greatest champions.

This article written by Editorial Assistant Amber Blossman was excerpted from Newsweek Special Edition: Bruce Lee. For more on the life and legacy of the timeless legend pick up a copy today.

Bruce Lee Memorials

Bruce Lee vs. Wong Jack Man fight
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bruce Lee Lightsabers Scene Recreation

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Boost Lee

Bruce Lee memorial or imitator?

You must follow the link to see the embedded vid because this Snap LDN isn't smart enough to place this on a platform that I can share virally easily (or I'm just not smart enough to find it this morning).

Boost "Finger of fury" by Snap LDN
    Added 8 hours ago

Boost, a new pay-as-you-go energy supplier, introduces Boost Lee, a character inspired by martial arts legend Bruce Lee.

Boost Lee stars in the brand’s launch campaign by Snap LDN and is meant to embody the power that the energy service provides. Boost soft launched in September and is an evolution of Ovo Energy’s Smart PAYG+ platform. Snap won the account after a pitch and developed the character in collaboration with the Bruce Lee Estate.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter to WIN!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for Bruce Lee: The Authorized Visual History by Steve Kerridge! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 3/15/2018.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In honor of the 45th anniversary of the passing of Bruce Lee...

...our first meme for our current issue.

THREADS:
    Summer 2018
    Bruce Lee: A Life by Matt Polly
    Bruce Lee Memorials
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

this wall clock shows time with a kung fu fighter's limbs, by WHENWATCH

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lee on Lee

Spike Lee Shares How a Love of Connery’s Bond and Bruce Lee Made Him Realize ‘People Have to Tell Their Own Stories’ – Exclusive
    At a recent SFFILM tribute, the "BlacKkKlansman" and "Do the Right Thing" filmmaker touted his love for James Bond, Sidney Poitier, and diversity on-screen.
    Kate Erbland
    Oct 16, 2018 6:18 pm
    @katerbland

SFFILM / Pamela Gentile

Held last month at San Francisco’s Castro Theater, SFFILM paid tribute to prolific filmmaker Spike Lee, complete with a screening of Lee’s latest film, “BlacKkKlansman,” followed by an intimate and wide-ranging chat with the filmmaker, as moderated by film scholar David Thomson. During the talk, which spanned nearly 45 minutes, Lee opened up about his early cinematic influences, including his affection for James Bond films and the career of Sidney Poitier. Asked what his favorite films were growing up Lee didn’t miss a beat: “James Bond! Sean Connery!,” he said. “‘Dr. No,’ ‘Thunderball,’ ‘From Russia With Love.'”

Yet, even as a child, the “Do the Right Thing” filmmaker recognized that his people, community, and experiences weren’t always being reflected on-screen. “They were almost all the films, because just going from Brooklyn, New York, … just the beauty that I could see of our community, just looking out the window, was not on-screen,” he said. “I remember, there used to be a time, if there was a black person on a commercial, it would be like, ‘quick, quick, quick, there’s a black person!'”

“And then the black exploitation era came, and that came and went,” Lee said. “But I remember specifically seeing Sidney Poitier in ‘Lilies of the Field,’ and in this film, Sidney Poitier is driving in the middle of nowhere and the car breaks down at a nunnery. Even as a little kid, I was saying, ‘get out there before they see you!’ … I was screaming at the screen, ‘Sidney, leave! Leave! They gonna say you raped one of these nuns!’ True story.”

Lee also recalled watching films like “Gone With the Wind” and “The Birth of a Nation” (which he noted was the first film he watched at NYU as part of its graduate film program) and feeling understandably shocked and alienated by their depictions of minorities.

“We were taught about D.W. Griffith being the father of cinema, all the innovative things he’d done in cinema that had never been done before, but that’s all we were taught,” Lee said. “The social and political impact of the films was not taught. In third or fourth grade, when they re-released ‘Gone With the Wind,’ we had a class trip to see the film, and myself and other black students, we did not feel good watching that film, the stereotypical images. … There was no discussion about how we might have felt.”

As Lee explains, these types of movies and movie-going experiences influenced him from a young age, even before he decided to become a filmmaker, and they continue to impact the kinds of stories he wants to tell now.

“Hollywood, in a lot of ways, has dehumanized people,” Lee said. “So that’s why it’s so important, people have to tell their own stories, that’s what it comes down to. But unlike a lot of art forms, it costs a lot of money. But it’s a powerful, powerful medium. … The first time I understood the power of film, I went to 42nd Street to see a Bruce Lee film, I don’t know if it was ‘Enter the Dragon’ or ‘Five Fingers of Death,’ but the movie came out, it was a thousand kids running up the block, hitting each other in the head with nunchucks, doing supposedly flying kicks, landing on their ass, and that’s because they just saw Bruce Lee.”

You can watch the full video below, exclusively on IndieWire.
    The interview vid is 40+mins and embedded in IndieWire.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips