Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teoul Moon Kung fu

Teoul Moon Kung fu

Hey all,

Anyone know about Teoul Moon kung fu?
    http://www.teoulmoon.com/

There is a school near Pittsburgh but don't know anything about this style. Any info/opinions would be appreciated!!

" mastering over 200 empty hand and weapons forms, from acrobatic Wu Shu sets to soft and powerful Chen Tai Chi."

Great ... 200 forms ... whippidy doo da ... what about martial arts?

It's a Korean blend of Shandong Long Fist, some Bagua, and Northern Mantis. Some people call it Sip Pal Gi, or Shipalgae, or Sip Pal Ki....however you want to pronounce it.

-----edited-------
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 09-14-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks Masterkiller for the info.

Is Yim the real deal? Would training in this system be training in legit and authentic chinese-style martial arts? I don't care so much for wushu...

Quote Originally Posted by wudangmountain View Post
    Thanks Masterkiller for the info.

Is Yim the real deal? Would training in this system be training in legit and authentic chinese-style martial arts? I don't care so much for wushu...

I don't know anything about Yim except from his websites, so I have no idea about the quality of instruction. I have a pretty good idea about what the curriculum is like, though.

It is Chinese and not a TKD blend or anything like that. You'll learn a mix of mantis sets and long fist sets, and since Yim studied with No Su Chun, there is probably a bagua influence in there as well.

Tan Tui is a big part of the system. You'll probably spend the first few months only learning their version. Most of the Korean branches teach a 10 or 12 line version.

Steronius from this forum studies with Chun Dai Soung in New Orleans, and he has a similar curriculum. You might shoot him a PM and see what he thinks.

If you do decide to check them out, I'd be interested to hear what your impressions are.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 08-31-2006 at 06:26 AM.

Thanks again MK. Definitely no TKD at this school according to the website. Chen style tai chi is offered there. Seems like alot is offered...that is a warning sign for me...you know "jack of all trades..."

Thanks again MK. Definitely no TKD at this school according to the website. Chen style tai chi is offered there. Seems like alot is offered...that is a warning sign for me...you know "jack of all trades..."
    Well maybe go see the class and see if they hit each other or do drills at all.

Otherwise it's just wushu.

Hey all,

Anyone know about Teoul Moon kung fu?
    http://www.teoulmoon.com/

There is a school near Pittsburgh but don't know anything about this style. Any info/opinions would be appreciated!!
    I train in Teoul Moon Kung Fu. Please don't let the name of the style fool you. Teoul Moon is a chinese martial art system that combines the Shaolin Five Animal System, Hung Gar, Preying Mantis (Tang Lang Quan), and Pa Kua (Ba Gua Zhang); and because it was developed in Korea, thus the Korean name of the sytle. The website you posted above pretty much explains a brief history of the style and what it teaches, but if you want, you can also visit my website at http://www.geocities.com/sholo86/teoulmoon.html and see what I have to say about Teoul Moon.

If you haven't done so already, I suggest you visit the school and see if you like what Teoul Moon has to offer. I can tell you right now it did me good. I had the privilege of studying under GM Yim while I was stationed at Osan AB, SKorea in 2001 and will see him soon again when I return in December. Sabunim Nischalke (owner of the school you were asking about) was my instructor when I first started training in Teoul Moon. Mark's a good guy and I'm sure he'll answer any questions you might have with regards to Teoul Moon.

As you can see, we don't have that many Teoul Moon schools in the US, but schools located outside the US that bears the name Teoul Moon are associated with and/or fall under GM Yim.

If you have any other questions about Teoul Moon Kung Fu, just let me know

--Conrad--

Just stay away from Mark Gablowski (sp?). He was kicked out of the Teoul Moon association years ago... I remember him from when I was living in Omaha, NE. He "stole" information from our school and started presenting it as his own (which was really funny, since everyone in town except the newest, most ignorant newcomers knew he a) didn't know the material previously, and b) could only have gotten it from one place.

Good luck. My teacher has a lot of respect for the Teoul Moon GM in Korea (they met a number of years back).
    Matt Stone

With all the videos on Youtube now you could probably start hundreds of martial arts 'systems'. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    With all the videos on Youtube now you could probably start hundreds of martial arts 'systems'. LOL
    Jiu Tu Beh Quan?
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Dragon View Post
    Jiu Tu Beh Quan?
    In some ways it's not a bad thing. If you want to mess with CMA teachers heads, they say they have some secret form just go, "Oh, yeah, I saw a version of that on Youtube." Wudang Taiji? Oh, yeah, that's on Youtube. Baguaquan? Oh, yeah, that's on youtube.

YiLiQuan1, sholo86

What are some of your form names?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    YiLiQuan1, sholo86

Because the style was developed in Korea, the names of the forms are in Korean terminology. I am putting down names as it is written in the syllabus given to me by GM Yim. Some of the forms are;

So Ho Yun - Young Tiger Form
    Kum Kang Kwan - Shaolin Metal Form
    Ma Fa Kwan - Plum FLower Fist
    Huk Hokwan - Black Tiger

Here's the link to the page that pretty much spells out our daily routine.
    http://www.teoulmoon.org/index.php?n...article&sid=18
    or
    http://www.teoulmoon.org/
    and look around.

Thanks for asking

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    YiLiQuan1, sholo86

I'm not Teoul Moon... I'm a Yiliquan student (hence the name).
    Matt Stone