Thread: The "lizard" drill

The "lizard" drill

Tonight was stance training/drills night, and my brothers did not show up. Sifu had an expression on his face like a bored cat that suddenly sees a mouse saunter across his path. So to make a long story short, I was his only source of amusement for the class, and at the end of it, with me gasping for air form twisted dragon and horse, he says get on your stomach and he demos the lizard. In this "fun filled" drill, one drags themselves across the floor like a lizard would, with one caveat, apparently the lizard is a paraplegic, b/c you can't use your legs. by the end, I was lookin' like Mayo-naise in the training scenes from Officer and a gentleman. I had to take 10-15 min to recover and stifle the hurl reflex. Questin: has anyone heard of this drill b4, and does anyone have any other sadistic enjoyable drills that are unique. This is my first time with this one, but I'm sure he has a storehouse full!!
    Iron Bridge, Iron Horse, 1000 lbs sitting, Fist like Hammer, Finger like Sword, Palm like knife, Claw like Hook, Eyes like Lightning, Fist like shooting Star, Body as supple as a Snake, Body alligned behind punch, Horse Stance 1000 lbs., Strong, but NOT stiff... Fast, but NOT weak!!!

Yeah, there's a variant I've seen called the Leopard walk, the same thing except you stay that low with your feet too, and it involves jumping in every direction after you're strong enough to crawl. I'm pretty sure Dr. Yang's guys in Boston do it, but it looks like it's an awesome strength builder, I'm just not sure how to get strong enough to start doing it.

Congrats on not puking.

Edit:

Oh, and I think it's mandatory for a Sifu to get that look when you're the only one that day. It means extra hard excercises, and the hits you have to defend and counter against get extra hurty. I like to to think of it as what everyone would have gotten rolled up into just me.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

I'm wondering why your school has mice running across the floor. Unless it's in a rural area.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Animals1Path View Post
    Oh, and I think it's mandatory for a Sifu to get that look when you're the only one that day. It means extra hard excercises, and the hits you have to defend and counter against get extra hurty. I like to to think of it as what everyone would have gotten rolled up into just me.
    Exactly!!! I forgot to mention he also incorporated some ground fighting drills just b4 the lizards. He was barking at me to runn from one drill to the next. What he did not understand was that I WAS running "in my head" My legs were just not getting the signal quickly enough. And like you said I sustained casualties on applications too. One of my si-hings was in the next class, alone also. I hope his will is up to date.
    Iron Bridge, Iron Horse, 1000 lbs sitting, Fist like Hammer, Finger like Sword, Palm like knife, Claw like Hook, Eyes like Lightning, Fist like shooting Star, Body as supple as a Snake, Body alligned behind punch, Horse Stance 1000 lbs., Strong, but NOT stiff... Fast, but NOT weak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    I'm wondering why your school has mice running across the floor. Unless it's in a rural area.
    Not to worry, this lizard smashed the mice with body weight as I collapsed several times during the drill. The floor now has a nice mirror-like shine on it that I didn't notice b4 class.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil-Hung View Post
    Tonight was stance training/drills night, and my brothers did not show up. Sifu had an expression on his face like a bored cat that suddenly sees a mouse saunter across his path. So to make a long story short, I was his only source of amusement for the class, and at the end of it, with me gasping for air form twisted dragon and horse, he says get on your stomach and he demos the lizard. In this "fun filled" drill, one drags themselves across the floor like a lizard would, with one caveat, apparently the lizard is a paraplegic, b/c you can't use your legs. by the end, I was lookin' like Mayo-naise in the training scenes from Officer and a gentleman. I had to take 10-15 min to recover and stifle the hurl reflex. Questin: has anyone heard of this drill b4, and does anyone have any other sadistic enjoyable drills that are unique. This is my first time with this one, but I'm sure he has a storehouse full!!

yeah, we do a drill just like that in our bjj and judo classes.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by 5Animals1Path View Post
    Yeah, there's a variant I've seen called the Leopard walk, the same thing except you stay that low with your feet too, and it involves jumping in every direction after you're strong enough to crawl. I'm pretty sure Dr. Yang's guys in Boston do it, but it looks like it's an awesome strength builder, I'm just not sure how to get strong enough to start doing it.

Congrats on not puking.

Edit:

that sounds like something we did back when I trained longfist - we called them panther leaps.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    that sounds like something we did back when I trained longfist - we called them panther leaps.
    Yeah, I think there's where I read it from, Yang's old Longfist book. Leopard = Panther.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil-Hung View Post
    Exactly!!! I forgot to mention he also incorporated some ground fighting drills just b4 the lizards. He was barking at me to runn from one drill to the next. What he did not understand was that I WAS running "in my head" My legs were just not getting the signal quickly enough. And like you said I sustained casualties on applications too. One of my si-hings was in the next class, alone also. I hope his will is up to date.
    I just like to think it means he likes me enough to make me better.

Or it could just be every time I catch him alone he's having a bad day, and I've got a a Century tag on my forehead only he can see.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

yeh I do that dril at home for fun its awesome and if im the only one at training sweet i love the hard workouts i tend to grow experdetiualy (wateva) its good to see my sifu really showing his stuff coz he knows i like it to really inspiring.
    Go hard or go home or some where else up to you

http://therandomandthefit.blogspot.com.au/