Thread: For TCM To Work In MMA?

For TCM To Work In MMA?

I was looking the applications in a Tai Chi book and thinking these are powerful techniques. I was woundering what would a Chinese stylist need to do in order to train for a MMA competition and still use their style. I think they need to drill the individual move with a partener a lot more. Spend less time on forms. Maybe one forth of a session instead of 95% of the time. Spar all the time every lesson and not full out all the time. I have noticed that kung fu practitioners spar with full intension most of the time. I think this is incorect. Muy Tia however you spell it spar lightly most of the time. Then in compatition they go all out. Judo does the same. More pad work. Traditional methods like the sand bag, bean bags and such. And of course add a ground game. But I think the Techniques would work. If you look at the way most TCM train it is the opposite. I have been to several schools kung fu that will spend 95% of the class doing solo routines. Applications are done every couple of months and sparring once a week. What do you think.

Crush your enemies,
    see them driven before you,
    and hear the lamentations of their women.

The open steppe
    A fleet horse
    Falcon at your wrist
    And the wind in your hair
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Yes Conan, that is what's best in life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    I was looking the applications in a Tai Chi book and thinking these are powerful techniques. I was woundering what would a Chinese stylist need to do in order to train for a MMA competition and still use their style. I think they need to drill the individual move with a partener a lot more. Spend less time on forms. Maybe one forth of a session instead of 95% of the time. Spar all the time every lesson and not full out all the time. I have noticed that kung fu practitioners spar with full intension most of the time. I think this is incorect. Muy Tia however you spell it spar lightly most of the time. Then in compatition they go all out. Judo does the same. More pad work. Traditional methods like the sand bag, bean bags and such. And of course add a ground game. But I think the Techniques would work. If you look at the way most TCM train it is the opposite. I have been to several schools kung fu that will spend 95% of the class doing solo routines. Applications are done every couple of months and sparring once a week. What do you think.
    Yes, yes, yes...

Typica kung fu is train mostly forms, little partner work and then spar to kill each other.

Result....no body wants to spar, nobody knows how to use their moves and you get forms performers who think they are too deadly for the ring.

That's a funny thing I see in CMA where anything less than full blast is a negative thing. Everone tries to be hard core, all yang.

The thing is that to override your current reflexes and build in the new pattern you have to start slow and work up from there. Even when learning a new drill I've seen guys constantly pushing way before they even have the movement down correctly.

What happens is your natural reflex kicks in and you have no control over what you do which is why peeps complain about not being able to use the moves. They think they just have to seeit, try it a couple of times and it's there under pressure. Sorry, doesn't work that way. That's Matrix mentality.

Of course, here in the US we want everything instant so go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    That's a funny thing I see in CMA where anything less than full blast is a negative thing. Everone tries to be hard core, all yang.

The thing is that to override your current reflexes and build in the new pattern you have to start slow and work up from there. Even when learning a new drill I've seen guys constantly pushing way before they even have the movement down correctly.

What happens is your natural reflex kicks in and you have no control over what you do which is why peeps complain about not being able to use the moves. They think they just have to seeit, try it a couple of times and it's there under pressure. Sorry, doesn't work that way. That's Matrix mentality.

Of course, here in the US we want everything instant so go figure.

starting slow is fine and good, but you don't have to do forms and drills for 4 years before you have the motor skill down well enough to apply in in sparring / fighting. In the meantime, you just lost 4 years of time. too much yin?

balance it out. start slow, then work it into a drill. active drilling, where they are getting instant feedback because it's not really a cooperative drill. I could take ANY brand new student and teach them to use basic kicks, punches and throws in sparring in three months. You don't need years. that's how long it takes to refine, sure, but not how long is takes to become usable.

I hate the whole "instant results" argument people use about the US - train boxing, thai boxing, judo, wrestling, etc. in the US, russia, germany or denmark and it will be taught in a similar way.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 08-31-2006 at 08:40 AM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Crush your enemies,
    see them driven before you,
    and hear the lamentations of their women.

Don't forget....

I have seen your women now bring out your sheep!