Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumb flower mantis

Plumb flower mantis

Does anyone have any vid clips of this style, especially a form called lan jeet?

Youtube has some vids including that particular form. I believe the guy doing that form is a board member here if Im not mistaken.

Thanks, I've searched youtube but never found what I'm looking for.

The first clip is Mike Martello of Belgium fame. The second clip starts off with my kung fu cousin Yuri (one of Ilya's disciples in Moscow) doing the first line of our Lanjie.

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Thanks. Those forms are nice but they don't really look like the lan jeet that I learned. The first part of the second vid looks something like it but still pretty different. Are those all plum flower mantis? How many versions of lan jeet does plum flower style have?
    Last edited by shuaichiao; 09-15-2006 at 11:47 AM.

Zhang Wei Fu's son, Mark----taiji meihua tanglang quan---Qingdao:

http://www.wutangcenter.com/wt/trips/China2002/ztlc.mpg

That was 4 years ago and he was outstanding at our tournament last year and hope he will be here again this year along with his father and Sun De Yao

http://www.wutangcenter.com/wt/1tournament.htm

Wu Tang Center for Martial Arts
    announces:

10th annual HALL OF FAME OPEN 2006

INTERNATIONAL
    CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS TOURNAMENT

October 13, 14, and 15, 2006
    at Akron University's Memorial Hall
    Last edited by RAF; 09-15-2006 at 12:21 PM.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Not a question of how many Meihua has, you have to remember that Lanjie is one of three "core" mantis routines along with "Beng Bu" and "Ba Zhou." So just about every family of Mantis (except Liuhe and Babu) have a Lanjie. The first clip (I believe) is a version of Mimen tanglang that Mike learned from Su Yu Chang. Mimen is a fancy Taiwanese term for Meihua essentialy.
    The second clip is verifiably our version of Lanjie, and we do Meihua Tanglang from Ma Han Qin's branch. The opening (Wu Da Lian huan Pi) is a bit different, but none the less it is Lanjie because that is the characteristic opening move for all Lanjie's I have seen. I agree though it is different than other versions I have learned / seen.
    Each teacher has their own "flavor" so to speak so no two forms will ever look alike. Hell, I have known teachers where their same form changes as they progress over time. As we all get better our whole body changes, including the way our body moves.
    For anyone to know which specific form you learned, we will need to know under whom you learned it
    Hope this helps,
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Jake,

I have heard many times now of Lanjie and Ba Zhou and people saying they are one of the original forms. Do you know if they exist within the LKW 7* lineage? Perhaps they come under a different name, or do they not exist?

Cheers
    Keef

My Wah Lum teacher Nelson Chan new a few plum Flower sets and the lan jeet was one of them. I'm not really sure which lineage he learned them from. I learned it in the early 90's and haven't practised it for a while so I forget a few parts but I would know it if I saw it.

That Lan Jit came from Zhang Bing Dao. I'm sure someone up there remembers it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    That Lan Jit came from Zhang Bing Dao. I'm sure someone up there remembers it.
    Probably but I don't live in the same area anymore and I don't think my sifu is teaching anymore.

Keef
    Yes QI Xing has them, they may be pronounced differently depending on the school (Contonese dialect would be LanJeet, and I think Batzhou?? But I have no clue since I always use mandarin). But Qi Xing tanglang certainly has them.
    Shuai
    Well I am no expert, and I do not mean to ruffle feathers, but the Mantis at Wahlum is not always considered the most traditional out there. I have no clue what their curriculum entails, and honestly have no clue where there mantis really comes from. There are many more qualified people here to ask than I. Sorry I cannot help more. You must remember though Wahlum is not traditional Meihua! Much different.
    Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Ok, I can't hold back anymore. Does Plumb Flower Mantis do their forms in a straight vertical line?

Looks like Jake and I were posting at the same time so I'd like to address his comment.

That's a fairly accurate assessment however, the Lan Jit you see being taught and performed at Wah Lum came from Zhang Bing Dao.

Wah Lum has it's own version of Lan Jit but, like a lot of it's sets, it's different (I got this from Master Chan). I haven't seen it (that I know of) and don't know anyone that knows it so it's probably at the higher levels where most never reach.

I believe MC holds the LKS stuff close and most don't make it that far. Consider that Big Mantis (Bung Bo) isn't taught until after Sifu level.