Anybody know if the Western looking Uygur of China do martial arts? I read about them being largely Muslim in a Christian missionary magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguy View Post
Well, that's what the Hui martial artists told the author. She didn't research the accuracy of their lineages, she just talked about how Hui martial artists used their wushu to defiine themselves against the Han majority.

As far if its true or not, I don't even know how you could answer that. Its far enough in the past that all you have are present oral accounts which are contradictory. There may be contemporary accounts of Muslim missionaries teaching fighting skills between 650-1100or whenever, but I haven't come across them. It is the same with some people's contention that Chinese martial arts originally came from Africa. How you could possibly prove that, even if it were true, is beyond me - and certainly beyond our current understanding of history.

There has never been an Islamic invasion of China that I've heard of. Missionaries came over shortly after the Prophet's death, and maybe even earlier. The Mongol invasion of central Asia brought large number of immigrants to China, as well. And there was plenty of trade and diplomatic contact.