Thread: Can Chi flow to your fist making it stronger?

Can Chi flow to your fist making it stronger?

I know in Iron palm they can make chi flow to their palms. I never heard of an Iron fist technique though. So can anyone tell me if chi can go to the fist? Please reply. Thank you. Jason

I'm not fully understanding your question. If you're alive and have a hand, energy flows to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jry123 View Post
    I know in Iron palm they can make chi flow to their palms. I never heard of an Iron fist technique though. So can anyone tell me if chi can go to the fist? Please reply. Thank you. Jason
    No.

And why did you post this on two boards?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

It depends on how one defines Chi/Qi. The definition I subscribe to is that of efficient body mechanics coordinated with breathing to produce optimum power. For example, in a good punch, using spiral energy/silk reeling (two more sticky terms, but I define it as "twisting to put your whole body behind a punch") and exhaling on the strike, with good body alignment is what I would define as chi. Then there's the definition of "bio-electricity" for which I'm still on the proverbial fence, as well as the "life force" definition which I feel is too esoteric.

A lot of the benefits of iron palm training, or conditioning your fists can be attributed to the natural tendency for bones to re-calcify after impact. While having a nice powerful punch can help back this up, you don't wanna go busting coconuts if your hands aren't properly developed.

Keep in mind that your hands have LOTS of tiny little bones that can develop spurs if not treated well. With that in mind, make sure that if you engage in such training that you find an instructor who knows the pitfalls to avoid as far as hand positioning, going too hard too fast, etc.

That is my advice, but I'm a relative newb to Chinese Martial Arts, so here's a few grains of salt to take it with
    .:.
    .:::.
    Last edited by BlueTravesty; 09-03-2006 at 09:12 PM.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTravesty View Post
    It depends on how one defines Chi/Qi. The definition I subscribe to is that of efficient body mechanics coordinated with breathing to produce optimum power.
    No. Chi is energy, life force. Chi (energy) has no interpretation, it just is. It begins your life and it ends your life. Energy produces the life that produces the breath, that produces the body mechanics, these in harmony then produce the power., which can then produce death.

Some teachers believe that yes, and others have other power generation theories. Two that explain power generation in the terms that you suggest are authors Wong Kiew Kit and Dr Yang Jwing Ming. Finding a local teacher who's not just going to string you along for monthly class fees, but that actually produces masters of his system, and who uses this philosophy to generate his ging, is an entirely different problem. This guy too:

http://www.itcca.it/peterlim/

Quote Originally Posted by jry123 View Post
    Last edited by Faruq; 09-11-2006 at 03:20 PM.