Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Erwin Croc Hunter died today!!!

what part of freak accident dont you understand though? the stingray got spooked while he was passing over it and it stabbed as a natural reaction from what im gathering. i dont think he was even paying any attention to it, let alone provoking it. and people saying he constantly put his life in danger is alittle overexaggerated. he obviously knew what he was doing to have lived this long. he always took precautions from what i've seen of his shows. being a fearless idiot is different from having a love of life and a love of your work. the former doesn't live very long, i've seen it. he was pushing 50. lets just call an accident what it was, and not put the guy on trial for dying.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht View Post
    what part of freak accident dont you understand though? the stingray got spooked while he was passing over it and it stabbed as a natural reaction from what im gathering. i dont think he was even paying any attention to it, let alone provoking it. and people saying he constantly put his life in danger is alittle overexaggerated. he obviously knew what he was doing to have lived this long. he always took precautions from what i've seen of his shows. being a fearless idiot is different from having a love of life and a love of your work. the former doesn't live very long, i've seen it. he was pushing 50. lets just call an accident what it was, and not put the guy on trial for dying.
    You're right... I'm being overly insesitive about this.

I just see it as something that didn't have to happen. I feel bad for his kids.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

de mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est
    Man, people snorkle with stingrays in the Caribbean! Learn some manners At least read about stingrays first and then make a statement.
    Last edited by BM2; 09-04-2006 at 10:32 PM.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    I just see it as something that didn't have to happen. I feel bad for his kids.
    Death has to happen. He had an accident with a relatively harmless animal, after years of expertly not getting killed with harmful ones.

By extension to what you're saying, when you get married and have kids you should quit martial arts: you could get an embolism from a slap round the head or falling over the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    De mortuis nil nisi bonum
    Don't swear at us! I'll take you up your e pluribus unum...! Why use fancy long-dead foreign nonsense when the plain English 'Don't speak ill of the dead' is the same?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    de mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est
    Man, people snorkle with stingrays in the Caribbean! Learn some manners At least read about stingrays first and then make a statement.
    Even the people from his own film crew said that he was getting too close. Man does not own this world. We can't just do what ever we want. Saying that the guy was careless is not poor manners. It's reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Death has to happen. He had an accident with a relatively harmless animal, after years of expertly not getting killed with harmful ones.

By extension to what you're saying, when you get married and have kids you should quit martial arts: you could get an embolism from a slap round the head or falling over the wrong way.
    To me, a 10 inch spike on it's tail that contains poison is not a harmless animal.

I'm not saying that you should stop living when you get married and have kids. All I'm saying is that you should stop playing in traffic.

Why all the grief from everyone? The guy lived a great life and did a lot of good things. He took a lot of risks and it end up costing him his life. Now his family is without him. Is there more to the story?

I heard that the video of him being hit is on the internet somewhere....I haven't been able to find it. Anyone know if it's up or not?

BTW I could never stand the guy.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

I can agree with you cheif fox. Another trajic death this weekend was that of Pittsburgh's mayor Bob O'Connor. The poor guy went to the hospitol with flu like symptoms and was diagnosed with central nervous system lymphoma. He spent 8 weeks in the hospital then died. He was only in office for 6 months and brought a whole lot of energy to his job.

I like Steve Irwin, I just couldn't stand to see him holding his newborn in front of the crocs. Oh, and by the way, Steve Irwin practiced BJJ.
    Bless you

Long Live the Croc Hunter. The man lived well and died doing what he loved.
    Honestly there are people doing more dangerous jobs out there in the world, he knew the risks and some of us including myself appreciate him for this. He taught us alot, and he did alot for the world. I'm sure that it's not a stretch of the imagination to think Steve was happier than any American Journalist in war torn Baghdad. I'm sure he'll be missed by his loved ones, I guess it was just his time to go. Celebrate his life if you will, he was a good man. Chastize the drug dealers, the gang-bangers, and the real evil in the world, I can assure you that they are more suited candidates for condemnation. Long live the Croc Hunter.

amen to that. its always good to see there are people like him still left on this planet. most people are blinded by their own pessimistic and cynical nonsense (me included). but that guy had a seriously good karmic aura about him, and a serious love of life. you could see it in his eyes and thats why millions loved him. his appreciation and enthusiasm for nature was infectious too.

you say your worried about his children, but you think their served by him being demonized and labeled as an idiot after his death? he clearly wasn't. you think kids aren't affected by the opinions people have of their parents?

i dont know. i just see the media has this twisted and unhealthy obsession with celebrity but just as twisted is their need to demonize them. he was one of the good ones though. im not some steve irwin fanboy. i rarely watched his show after the initial novelty wore off but i appreciated what he did. if you know animal behavior its not nearly as dangerous as it seems. thousands of people do exactly the same thing as he does. he was just the more famous for it.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

That was his fate and he died what he loved doing, he would be happy i guess!

I dont think there will be another Steve Irwin doing these shows even if they try and make one like him and act like him, just wont be the same.

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    CRIKEY! I guess you could say that he went out on his own terms.

I've got mixed feelings about the whole thing.

There comes a time in life where you have to be responsible and stop being so selfish. This guy took his own life into his own hands all too frequently. Now his poor wife and kids will have to live with out a husband and father. There comes a time when you have to grow up. This guy never did and now his family will have to pay the price.

A real man is there for his family.

Getting killed in feakish accident by a sting ray is stupid way to die. I feel for his wife and kids.

right. so all soldiers, cops and firefighters with families are stupid too?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

right. so all soldiers, cops and firefighters with families are stupid too?

There's a difference between saving (or trying to save) a life and taunting a wild animal for the sake of a TV show (and your own ego) but it's still a good point. I brought it up on another thread. At what point do you think about your family? Where's the line between "heroism" and "suicide." Or "love of adventure" and "carelesness with ones own live." I don't think anyone can answer that definitively except maybe to set boundaries for oneself.

But, should a firefighter run into a burning building if he thinks it's suicide to do so? Should he think about his family and fear being called a coward or should he think about the people in the building? Should a soldier follow orders blindly or refuse to do what he thinks is going to lead to certain death. Incidentally, there are cases where soldiers refused orders for just that reason.

Rather than simply posting a witty comeback why don't you also tell us what you think. At least it would start intelligent discussion.

Also, I don't think you should group all Police officers, soldiers, or firefighters together like that. Each has their own reasons for doing what they do. I've known firefighters who sincerely loved helping people and I've also known ones who were wanna-be tough-guy heroes (guys who care more about image).

Bottom line is, I think, that when you have a family you give up part of yourself. I think many people feel that Croc hunter selfishly put himself in harms way (whether he did or not is up to debate I guess.....I think he should have toned it down). Anyway, he's gone now so I hope he rests in peace and that his family and friends find peace with it as well. I think his death and lifestyle sparked a bigger issue on this thread.

I think that anger at someone who dies is a natural reaction. Especially when it happens in such a trivial way, but as crazy (or "over the top") as he was, he didn't wake up that day wanting to die. It was an accident.
    Last edited by Anthony; 09-05-2006 at 05:31 PM.

This man was an incredible vociferous advocate for conservation efforts and his very willingness to highlight the plight of "dangerous" and "ugly" animals such as crocodiles and to demonstrate how human incursion into their environment had harmed them really was a valuable contribution. He got a lot of bad press from the cynnical and the misunderstanding who tried to undermine his efforts on behalf of our animal kin with attacks on his integrity and the validity of what he saw as his mission in life. I had a great respect for him and I am sorry to see that he died however at least he died as he had lived.

I also feel terribly for his family with whom he was reported to be very close.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I always thought he would die from a black mamba bite one day. This is horrible, I always seen him as invincible. What a freak accident!! That man was capable of so much. It remind me of the whole Bruce Lee death, just when you think the man is invincible he dies from a asprin.
    "During real martial arts training, health or spiritual effects are only side-effects of training for martial efficiency."