Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimum number of sets

Mantid1,
    Agreed! But that is the nature of American society.
    In school we earn grades on report cards. In college we earn degrees represented by diplomas. In the Boy/Girl Scouts and military we earn rank represented by pins and badges. In martial arts people expect to get a physical representation of whatever they accomplish.
    Whether good or bad, it is just how we Americans have been programmed to think.
    In my best Kwai Chang Caine imitation, "Without the carrot, of what use is the stick?".
    Richard
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-10-2006 at 02:02 PM.

This thread was started in 2006. I thought it was interesting, so I decided to dust it off and bring it back out of the basement.

I have reduced the curriculum that I teach at Mantis Masters Academy down to five forms:

Luanjie
    Beng Bu
    Zhai Yao
    Meihua Lu
    Ba Zhou

If students are interested in forms, I have other supplemental sets they can learn. But I think the above five forms teach the necessary core teachings of tanglangquan fighting.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    I have reduced the curriculum that I teach at Mantis Masters Academy down to five forms:

If students are interested in forms, I have other supplemental sets they can learn. But I think the above five forms teach the necessary core teachings of tanglangquan fighting.
    You are wise my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

There are only so many ways to hit a man.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

The Taiji mantis of Cui Shou Shan doesnt contain a huge number of forms anyway

in addition to the forms Richard says he teaches it also has Shuai Luo (very basic intro form), Ba Fang and Zhong Lu Fan Che (these 2 forms are both more like basics - a few moves done over and over and over)

To answer the question "minimum number of sets" I think Luan Jie, Ba Zhou and Zhong Lu Fan Che..... I havent learnt Zhai Yao yet so I cant comment on it