Thread: Weights advice for a woman...

Weights advice for a woman...

I have just got some weights :6x 1.1kg
    2x 2.2 and 2 x4.5 kg. 2xhand weight bars and one of the long bars.
    I'm not a member of a gym, I train about 5 times a week and am trying to get out running again. I need to improve my upper body strength, have quite strong legs.
    Just need some advice on the best excercises really with the weights, is there any good info on the net ? I know Im being a cheapskate, but spend enough money on training etc!
    Or good info that I have missed here ?
    Don't want to end up with big muscles /as a she-man!
    I also have a reasonably heavy punch bag which Im trying to use more often to work on my punching power.
    Thanks

with your weights just do bench press and over head press. read up on how to do them properly and you really might want to invest in some more weight. while ts not free plates are some of the cheapest exercise equipment you can ever purchase. also make sure to do chin ups and it wouldnt hurt to add in pushups and dips either.

if it were me itd also do squats, deadlifts, and rows but thats enough to start with. you might be able to get your form down by yourself, but you'll want to try and recruit a buddy pretty quickly to spot you. dont be afraid to go heavy .... you're not going to get big unless you really really try to get big .... you simply don't have the genetics for it. you're also a lot more likely to put on mass by pumping out the reps all night. try to stay in the 6- 8 range and dont go above the 8-12 except on body weight exercises.
    where's my beer?

You don't even need weights really.

You could do pushups, dips and pullups

There are many varieties of pushups
    1. regular standard hands at shoulder width
    2. Hands wider than shoulder width
    3. diamond pushups where your thumbs and pointer fingers make a diamond
    4. feet elevated pushups
    5. pushups from your knees.
    6. Hindu pushups
    7. dive bomber pushups

dips can be done on a bench or on chairs.

Pullups can be done from just about anything you can hang from or get one of those doorway pullup bars.

You can also get yourself some resistance bands and use those instead of weights. Or use then to assist your pullups.

There's tons of stuff you can do with out spending money on weights.

As far as the big muscles/she male fear. Don't worry. Many people think that as soon as they start lifting weights that they will get big. Many people use this as an excuse not to exercise. It's all bogus. There's only one way to get big. You have to eat more. Eat A LOT of bad food and don't exercise, you get fat. Eat A LOT of good food and exercise you get big muscles. The only way to get big is to eat more. So don't worry about it. If you maintain a healthy diet and add resistance training, you'll loose fat, you'll get stronger but you won't get big.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

and dont forget a healthy diet of pumpernickel

TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    As far as the big muscles/she male fear. Don't worry. Many people think that as soon as they start lifting weights that they will get big. Many people use this as an excuse not to exercise. It's all bogus. There's only one way to get big. You have to eat more. Eat A LOT of bad food and don't exercise, you get fat. Eat A LOT of good food and exercise you get big muscles. The only way to get big is to eat more. So don't worry about it. If you maintain a healthy diet and add resistance training, you'll loose fat, you'll get stronger but you won't get big.
    In addition to this, women aren't genetically coded to get hyoooge, unless they were born with a higher than normal testoserone level.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    and dont forget a healthy diet of pumpernickel

TWS

Is it good for you? My body being a temple and all!

you know with the jewish community being ever so present in the UK i am suprised that you have not had the pumpernickle bread, all c0ckblockery aside, it is a very healthy bread. and YES i know women dont smell like pumpernickle , im just being a fruitball with ya su lin.

as for the weights question you have, i feel that cheif fox is right on. i mean if you are going to start lifting weights you will gain muscle and it will show but you are not going to turn into that she/male character, that is unless you start taking testosterone and steriods(which some women body builders do and they look atrocious in my opinion)
    TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Don't forget to stretch out afterwards. If you're doing more arm strength training, as you get stronger you will find a corresponding decrease in flexibility about the shoulders unless you're very careful.
    Oh and I tried described as pumpernickle bread once, it was vile!!!!!
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer"-- Bruce Graham

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    In addition to this, women aren't genetically coded to get hyoooge, unless they were born with a higher than normal testoserone level.
    Tell that to some of the female rugby players I knew in college. One was cute and liked me, but there was something intimidating for a martial artist about having to wonder who was the real protector in the relationship.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Tell that to some of the female rugby players I knew in college. One was cute and liked me, but there was something intimidating for a martial artist about having to wonder who was the real protector in the relationship.
    you sure she was really a she?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

LOL! It's the Crying Game Rugby style!
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

o i'm sure.
    big red head with blue eyes.
    looked like some kinda viking girl or big irish lady warrior.
    cute, friendly, slightly round face and definitely a girl voice (not at all husky).
    not outta shape either, just thick.
    then again it is texas and maybe u just don't see women this sized where you are.
    no place like texas for making your average-heighted guy feel small.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Yep! If a girl is just a little bit to strong.....better check things out.

I learned my lesson about girls and MA the hard way. I was sparring this girl who I'd never sparred before. Seeing that she was a black belt I treated her just like any other black belt that I spar. I moved to her left and did a hard sweep. Well the next thing I knew her feet were about 3 feet in the air and she was landing on the back of her head and shoulders. It scared the hell out of me but she was okay. Since then I haven't sparred any other woman with the same intensity!

Can i ask why you want to do weights? whats your objective?