Thread: My latest piece of exercise equipment

My latest piece of exercise equipment

The 8lb. Sledge Hammer.

Picked it up today at the Home Depot.

Tonight I finished my regular Strength workout with some sledge hammer swings on a tire.

At the end there I felt like the darn thing was gonna go flying out of my hands. Good conditioning, grip and forearm workout.

Gonna work my way up to 100 reps and then go for rounds.

I need to get a bigger tire. I was putting some big divots in my back yard with the one I have now.

I love it when my neighbors think I'm crazy. Fun stuff.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Sounds like good training. It's much more economical than what I do, just a sledge hammer and a tire. I usually get a truckload of wood and split all of it. When I'm done it usually takes me a while to burn it all. Right now, I have a stack out back that's about 12 ft. long by about 4.5 ft. tall. So, basically you just beat the tire with the sledge hammer?
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

yeah, pretty much.

The idea is, you try to do it as fast as you can to really boost the intesity.

It's a full body motion that is supposed to be great for your whole upper body including your core.

I figure once I can beat a tire for rounds my conditioning will be pretty good.

A stack of wood 12 feet long by 4.5 tall! Sounds like you've got some work to do.

Look up FEDOR the pride fighter he does this training for getting ready for his competition.

I like also you stand with your feet together and hold up one finger and spin fast on the spot looking at your finger till you are completely dizzy and then break out into shadow boxing like you would be in a fight its all a blur and no balance.

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by fiercest tiger View Post
    Look up FEDOR the pride fighter he does this training for getting ready for his competition.

I like also you stand with your feet together and hold up one finger and spin fast on the spot looking at your finger till you are completely dizzy and then break out into shadow boxing like you would be in a fight its all a blur and no balance.

Garry
    I don't deal well with being dizzy. I'm sure that I'd fall right on my arse. But I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercest tiger View Post

Garry

We had to do this at my first muay thai school. It was to simulate what it was like fighting after taking a clean shot to the jaw.

EDIT: I was at the fair last night and won a stuffed animal in the sledgehammer game. I hit the bell on all three tries.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 10-02-2006 at 08:08 AM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I've actually got a tire down by the river a friend put there. The 8 pounder wasn't cutting it so we added weight making it 20.5 pounds! This way you really work your waist, lower back, hamstrings as well as your forearms. Try fifty strikes with this weight or try breaking big boulders with it!
    A unique snowflake