Thread: Beginners Exercise

Mr Punch is correct
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Forrer View Post
    Mr Punch is correct
    It'd be easier if everyone just put this in their sigs now.

its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

For those who find my questions too complex or not complex enough my apologies to waste your 30 seconds of reading time. My original question was out of curiosity to how some of you kind men/women may or may not train.
    reason I have read a book entitled the science of martial art training and there is a section were its labeled questionable or non productive exercise. Some of the exercises mentioned are push ups, jumping jacks, sit ups, lying leg scissors, static stretches, duck walking. No I do not want to question my sifu because yes we do these exercises with my only motive is I took the time to read a book compared to his 30 yr of teaching. So I thought I might get some insight to others who have trained a while. Oh and yes my sifu doesn't like to be questioned about his teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by MARTIALSTUDANT View Post
    For those who find my questions too complex or not complex enough my apologies to waste your 30 seconds of reading time. My original question was out of curiosity to how some of you kind men/women may or may not train.
    reason I have read a book entitled the science of martial art training and there is a section were its labeled questionable or non productive exercise. Some of the exercises mentioned are push ups, jumping jacks, sit ups, lying leg scissors, static stretches, duck walking. No I do not want to question my sifu because yes we do these exercises with my only motive is I took the time to read a book compared to his 30 yr of teaching. So I thought I might get some insight to others who have trained a while. Oh and yes my sifu doesn't like to be questioned about his teaching.
    I don't really understand any of this. Why didn't you ask how the people on the board felt about these exercises instead of what you did ask.

In any case your teacher is not doing his job. I don't care how many years of experience he has if he doesn't like students communicating with him then how can you call him a teacher?

For those of you who have forgotten your original question...

Quote Originally Posted by MARTIALSTUDANT View Post
    I'm looking for simple or beginner exercises to incorporate in to my training for over all health. I would also like the exercises to help and not hinder martial art applications. Looking for exercise to work entire body from top to bottom (remember simple non straining). I would also like the exercise that may be recommended to be able to do in small space or even better using ones own body. Any good ideals?
    which is pretty different to saying you are forced to do push-ups and leg raises and blah blah blah and you want to know the validity of them.

I suggest if you want people to answer your question to your satisfaction you actually ask the question you want to ask.

push ups: I think they're good for core strength, shoulders, arms (tris), back muscles and maybe some more. I like them, I do them.

jumping jacks: heard they're dodgy, don'T know why, never been inclined or asked to do them, and there are better jumping exercises.

sit ups: if you do them correctly they should be good. If you don't they'll damage the small back muscles. I do them carefully (have back probs) with my hands under the small of my back.

lying leg scissors: no idea

static stretches: can be good.. yoga contains static strethces too... stretches before class can cause more injury because you haven't warmed up.

duck walking: great for ducks and some other waterfowl. I guess. Don't know what they are.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan