Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My first cage fight

Bad luck Ray

Well done for fighting though

Did you speak to your teacher about the loss? Did he have any feedback for you?
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Nice job, man.

Remember, you learn more from a loss than from a win.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I'll see him tomorrow night and show him the video. I used to get upset with his feedback because who wants to hear what they did wrong when they had no sparring partners or cornerns, but I'm over it. I've settled to go to him for information, which is valuable. And then the testing is up to me.

I don't blame him, because he's well past retirment already. He's had his days. But what bothers me is he protects his disciples saying I shouldn't try to fight with them because they're too dangerous.

They've done no real fighting, and I feel the danger lies in a non-disciple with less years invested besting one of them. But I'm learning what I can and can not do, and their training is their training.

I'm actually considering moving to Puerto Rico for a while. And if that doesn't go through getting a van and driving cross country surfing and fishing. Just some time away.

Why do you want to move to PR for kung fu? Does PR have a lot of benefits for kung fu practitioners?

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Remember, you learn more from a loss than from a win.
    I can say from experience, that my technique usually jumps dramatically 5 to 6 months after a loss.

The last three years I've fought in the fall, lost, got humbled, trained all winter and then by summer got antsy again feeling confident.

My goal for this winter is to become more explosive. Any ideas on how to achieve this?

powerlifting, plyos, sprints
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    But what bothers me is he protects his disciples saying I shouldn't try to fight with them because they're too dangerous.
    Your loyalty is to be commended. However, IMO, he doesn't deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Why do you want to move to PR for kung fu? Does PR have a lot of benefits for kung fu practitioners?
    There's a good chance I can work and file stories from home. If that's the case, home can be anywhere.

Puerto Rico has really good waves and is much cheaper than NY. I can save money and surf all winter. I can maintain what I have, and the coast guard base, complete with a crew that trains BJJ, is right up the hill.

Instead of taking surf trips, I'll visit my master for a week or two around Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Years and things like that.

Just considering it. Feeling like a change is needed.

I gotta agree with knife on this one, man. If I want to fight, I wouldn't stay with a coach or teacher who didn't support my fighting or help me to train for the fight. staying with him means you basically need two schools - him to learn kung fu, and another school for fight prep.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Yeah it just doesn't seem like you're getting a fighting education, Ray, if that's what you're trying to do.

I mean, 3 fights, 3 losses. That should tell you something. That the other guys are better trained.

Why don't you find a good fight coach? Why not train with Coach Ross for example?

I understand his position. There are two other students who are game for some more hands on drills, like work the clinch and stuff, but right now I'm the only one with any interest to go out, I'm the only one who's fighting.

The other students have been there much longer than me, have invested more time and money, and even live with him and help out around the house. So, I'm no one special to change things for.

Besides that, my master truly believes that one develops mechanics, structure, attributes, etc. and then goes out. I know in his eyes I'm not ready.

I always say I want to go test drive. He always says I have a Pinto, build the Ferreiri first, then go test drive.

So I understand that.

Where I differ is that I believe in learn a skill, train a skill, then test it in the classroom and make refinements under the tutelage of the instructor. That's how I train my guys.

Where I do fault my master is in his fear that when a disciple gets beat in class (and if they play with me they will be beat) it's a poor reflection on his technique. We all have to learn somewhere.

But like I said, I'm over it. It's their training. I've pulled so far ahead of their capabilities it's like I'm involved in a completely different activity. I don't say this boastfully, just mater of factly.

I'd love to be like the guys I saw from Pitt Penn, a bunch of fighters there supporting their guy who's day has come to step up. They all know that he could win or lose, hurt someone or be hurt. There's no ideas of unbeatable mastery. It just is what it is.

I'm building my students up to be this way for me and for each other. I can control that. MY master's school is my master's school and he aint going to change now.

My point is that it's a different world today. When I play with your average Kung Fu guy I'm unbeatable too. It's a whole other animal that I'm interested in bagging and putting on my wall.

I'll see what happens.... but yea, it can be frustrating.

I'd love to be like the guys I saw from Pitt Penn, a bunch of fighters there supporting their guy who's day has come to step up. They all know that he could win or lose, hurt someone or be hurt. There's no ideas of unbeatable mastery. It just is what it is.

most schools are like that. here is some advice look for a new teacher.

I don't blame him, because he's well past retirment already. He's had his days. But what bothers me is he protects his disciples saying I shouldn't try to fight with them because they're too dangerous.

They've done no real fighting, and I feel the danger lies in a non-disciple with less years invested besting one of them. But I'm learning what I can and can not do, and their training is their training.
    You are 100% correct. No one is too dangerous. Mike Tyson verus a 10 year old kid would be dangerous. However, as crazy as Mike is, he could control himself to beat the kid without hurting him too much. And that is a VERY one sided fight.

People on their high horses don't fight because they can't or can't fight well. I have seen this mainly in kung fu.

It is too dangerous because you might hurt your arm by punching the kung fu guy too much. And watch out for the iron face training.

Ray,

First of all, congrats on stepping up fighting in the cage. Honestly, I thought you'd never do it, so I'm happy to be proven wrong. It is a commendable thing to do, and although I've stepped into many rings and on a few mats, I've never done that. Credit where credit is due.

Secondly, I was curious as to if your feelings on the The Ultimate Fighter contestants have changed. Seeing as how these guys have all done well in amateur shows and many in professional shows, that should be a testament to their skill which you were doubting. Every single one of them would most likely destroy that guy you fought. Do you still think they are unskilled?

I'd also like to say that I think TCMA is in need of some Dog Brother-esque changes. A core group of guys testing actual CMA to the brink would be good for the community, imo. Since you are in such a large city, I'd imagine you could find some guys willing to go there with you. Like the dog brothers some ground work would be needed, but it would be interesting thing to see how CMA stand-up could go. One of my friends and I are interested in getting back into MA, but are going the traditional route this time. We are going to see where we can take it. PM me if you want to talk about it.

I understand his position. There are two other students who are game for some more hands on drills, like work the clinch and stuff, but right now I'm the only one with any interest to go out, I'm the only one who's fighting.

The other students have been there much longer than me, have invested more time and money, and even live with him and help out around the house. So, I'm no one special to change things for.

Besides that, my master truly believes that one develops mechanics, structure, attributes, etc. and then goes out. I know in his eyes I'm not ready.

I always say I want to go test drive. He always says I have a Pinto, build the Ferreiri first, then go test drive.

So I understand that.

Where I differ is that I believe in learn a skill, train a skill, then test it in the classroom and make refinements under the tutelage of the instructor. That's how I train my guys.

Where I do fault my master is in his fear that when a disciple gets beat in class (and if they play with me they will be beat) it's a poor reflection on his technique. We all have to learn somewhere.

But like I said, I'm over it. It's their training. I've pulled so far ahead of their capabilities it's like I'm involved in a completely different activity. I don't say this boastfully, just mater of factly.

I'm building my students up to be this way for me and for each other. I can control that. MY master's school is my master's school and he aint going to change now.

My point is that it's a different world today. When I play with your average Kung Fu guy I'm unbeatable too. It's a whole other animal that I'm interested in bagging and putting on my wall.

I'll see what happens.... but yea, it can be frustrating.
    But at the same time, you are fighting - representing his style. From that perspective, you'd think he'd want to see you at 3-0, not 0-3. Or at least work your corner, if he has any fight / cornering experience. you can build your students up, but in the meantime, you are fighting NOW. they don't have the corner or fight experience to help you train or to give advice during your fights. you are setting yourself up to allow them to have great careers if they fight, but at the same time, sacrificing your own...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter