Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My first cage fight

Ray's situation appears to be the common problem with TCMA today... technique alone does not equal the ability to fight... to fight, you must TRAIN, train realistically, with resistance and context... or as we define it on www.SanDa-MMA.com

If training follows these guidelines, you will be able to discover which techniques are both practical and functional, and a majority of the student body will see appreciable benefits in a reasonable amount of time.

Guideline #1: "Structure"
    The foundation of the program is learning the proper position and the proper execution of the techniques. Most of the problems students have in applying technique is found in the incorrect execution; the wrong position, the wrong distance, the wrong angle, etc.

Guideline #2: "Movement"
    Since an adversary will not stand in one place during a real fight, all the drills must incorporate movement to replicate real conditions. This includes, but is not limited to, footwork, real distance, distance control, level control and head movement.

Guideline #3: "Impact"
    While many traditional martial arts place a heavy emphasis on doing techniques without impact, the reality is that hitting an adversary is quite different from hitting the air! Our program includes a significant time devoted to working with various pieces of equipment so the student becomes familiar with the feeling of impact and develops power and focus.

Guideline #4: "Resistance"
    Each drill must include or simulate the resistance (or counter attack) of a real opponent.

Guideline #5: "Context"
    Each drill must include context; why the technique is being used, when the technique is being used, how the technique is being used, etc. This also includes discussion of our basic theories such as "leaks", "continuousness", "gates", "bridges", etc.
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

With all do respect to myself, and my former master, I believe the training I have received to date has given the ability to handle myself quite well in a fight.

The difference is competing on a higher competitve level. For that, I agree with what you are saying.

I believe the material offered to me by my former master is suitable, I just had no one to engage it with. That type of training is great for someone who wants to learn self defense, body mechanics and health. It served me well and I'll never dismiss it.

It was just time for me to move on.

Yeah, kudos again Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I know this isn't Ray saying this, but I have to commet. To all the arm chair and keyboard warriors, the "other guy" is John Benson Salgado who before joining NY San Da had a three round war with Tim O'Connor. Tim has KO'd in the first round 5 of his other 7 opponents.

Since joining NY San Da, John is now 2-0. In addition to beating Ray, he beat a very game fighter from Brad Daddis camp. They are BJJ fighters with Rigel as their Muay Thai coach. IE they are tough SOB's....

Currently, John is getting his stand up from Tim O'Connor and me and his ground work from Carmine Zocchi, BJJ brown belt, 12 years experience and also a decorated competitor

It's absurd for you to think John is "weak" from the vantage point of your padded chairs....

To Ray: best of luck, I think you will be better for it
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Ray,

Matt Serra has always been nothing but a class act to me, whether I have lost to, or beaten his guys at tournaments. I can't speak beyond that.

They train hard - fair warning - I expect you'll enjoy it!

As far as the guy's ground skill (the one you fought), no idea. Can't tell from that clip. Also, it's impossible to tell when the skill mismatch is so great.

No offense to Ray here, but regardless of what limited experience he has on the ground, he isn't really in a position to judge that guy's ground game, except in a relative sense.

By way of example, I have done some randori with Rhadi Ferguson - a U.S. olympian, and a fellow by the name of Shin Kim, who was on the Korean national team. They are both in the same weight and strength neighborhood. Somebody asked me who was better.

I have NO IDEA. I'm no slouch in the Judo department for an ex-wrestler BJJer who doesn't really do that much judo. I can hold my own at local shiais...but all I knew is that I was helpless against both of them. I expect that a nationally ranked Judoka could probably make that sort of distinction. I was just disoriented and overwhelmed.

Does that make any sense? I'm not trying to insult anybody here, I promise.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Hi ray hope all is well, looks like you are evolving as a MArtist keep up the good work. I'm sorry to jump into this thread a bit late but I was just wondering wich game did you find to be harder San Da or Cage fighting???

Quote Originally Posted by mp
    Does that make any sense? I'm not trying to insult anybody here, I promise.
    i dont think the skill difference was quite as drastic as what you are describing but i get the drift. on a different night with better preperation (and possibly a friggen corner!!!!) i'm sure ray would have put on a much better show. would he have won? im not a betting man, but from the very little bit i've seen i wouldn't put money on it ... at least not on the ground ... but i do think he'd still have a punchers chance.
    where's my beer?

GDA just wondering WTF is up with the Handicap kid is that you if it is I apologize in advance, I'm not trying to be a **** just been wondering that's all.

dude thats my little brother .... everyone knows that.

thats messed up man. jesus.
    where's my beer?

lmfao!!!!!
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

The whole time when I was watching the video I kept screaming at the screen "KICK HIM IN THE HEAD, RAY! HIGH KICK! KICK HIM IN THE HEAD! HIGH KICK!".
    Then I would turn to my loving girlfriend and scream "WHY ISN'T HE KICKING HIM IN THE HEAD?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH HIM?! WHY ISN'T HE KICKING HIM IN THE HEAD?! WHAT IS HIS MAJOR MALFUNCTION?!" She told me to "SHUT UP!".

Work your highkicks man...look at this guys head at the end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltulN-8y5A

I'm just bugging you. But a Canadian named Georges St. Pierre trains at your new club...might be worth your time to spar with him.

Oh yeah, do you still think you could take Matt Hughes?
    A unique snowflake

I was only referring to the ground game, GDA. I have no idea how the stand-up would have matched up.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    I was only referring to the ground game, GDA. I have no idea how the stand-up would have matched up.
    right right ... but i still dont think the skill difference was quite that far removed. then again i do understand you were making a point and maybe im nitpicking too much.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud View Post
    wich game did you find to be harder San Da or Cage fighting???
    I like the cage more than San Da because of the pace. Without head gear and with smaller gloves, the tempo is a bit slower, there's more respect for hands.

Then again, I'm in much better shape now than I was then... everything physical is much easier now. But I won't fight San Da again. I will fight in the cage many more times.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post

Work your highkicks man...look at this guys head at the end!
    Head kicks were illegal in that venue

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Oh yeah, do you still think you could take Matt Hughes
    In the cage? No.

In a parking lot, perhaps.

But I'm not that guy anymore, worried about this guy or that guy. I'd rather keep my mouth shut and train. If someone wants to compare, I'm down. But no need to talk before or after, just study what happenes.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 09-18-2006 at 07:19 AM.