Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bak Mei video (Zhong Luo performing)

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    hmmm...so I guess,"Blow it out your a$$" is a Chinese expression!

Cool Bak Mei ...

Take a look at this clip:

Bai Mei San Bu Tun

This guy is not a famous "master" by any stretch but there's very clear demonstration of power generation, speed, change, etc... Tun To is emphasized in this form.

Look at the tight stance, Looking the the looseness of shoulders, waist, etc. There is no big wind up motion before any strikes especially when elbowing. Above all there's no yelling and shouting. The only stomping is during the tun ging which is a by product but not intentionally done. There is hardly any stepping forward and stomp that is seen in the other clip.

There's a big difference between using what's at the core (pun intended) of the art and doing aesthetically impressive movements. Good Bai Mei is always internal and even seem mundane not necessarily entertaining at all.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Hi Mantis,
    Wow, Chinese YouTube!

What can you tell us about the clip? Who and where are the players from?

To me, it looks like a variation of Jik Bu, and I am the first to admit I have seen many, and it looks to be in the tight HK style with less bik bu. "San bu tan", 3 step swallow power?

There are a few elements of his style that differ to mine, but I'll agree, he seemed to have good breathing. He generates power with his core. There are some telltale twitches in his waist as he gears up, and it sounds right.

Thanks for the tidbit.

Garry,
    I dunno about the lineage of Zhong Luo. Perhaps some of his students might chime in?

Mantis108,

Awesome...

There is a huge difference in the way this Bak Mei played compared to modern day CLC bak mei to be honest. This is tighter with flexibilty, like you said no wind up full step or half stepping then strike with single movements this has more hands less footwork?

Have you any other clips of this bak mei system i would also like to know what lineage of bak mei.

Thanks very much for sharing brother....

Garry

Smile

Hi Yum Cha and Fierce Tiger,

Glad you enjoyed the clip.

I believe that line is descended from Chan Kwan Hop. It is believe that this form is a rendition of a "lost" form. Some one "recreated" it from a manuscript. That's all I know about it.

FT,

I am not sure what you mean by modern day Bak Mei. If you mean the Fut Shan Pak Mei way of doing things, I really have nothing to say. Sorry.

Warm regards

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Hi Mantis 108,

Sorry ill be clearer i reread my post i made it alittle complicated, the CLC bak mei that i know and have seen use more step and strike mostly, not as much hands with less footwork with this form there is more hands and less footwork which i really dig. It shows he can continue his force/ging rebounding without stepping and striking, if that make better sense. I know there is bak mei forms that use more hands during the forms but primarily its step and strike etc.

Thanks for the reply...

Garry

Somehow I missed that Bai Mei San Bu Tun link yesterday. Real nice. Are there more Bak Mei clips on that 6 rooms website, Mantis 108?
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Smile

Hi Fierce Tiger, Faruq, and All,

Personally, I believe that CLC's Bak Mei has a lot of influence from Lung Ying, which Bik Bo (pressing step) is fundamental. This is the reason that Jik Bo form even though is basic, it is highly valued in BaK Mei. Jik Bo is one step one strike. San Bu Tun is one step 3 strikes, which you have picked out (good eyes, my friend). IMHO Sup Ba Mor Kiu is also multiple strikes oriented. San Bu Tun is like a good anecdotal extention of the principle within SBMK IMHO.

As for clips of 6rooms, I didn't spend time on searching but I have come across another clip of interest from a Xinyi Liuhe master, who shows iron body (Pai Da) of his styles.

Xinyi Liuhe Pai Da Gong

I believe that it is interesting because it's also about "rooting" as we generally talk about in Kung Fu. Now for the type of strikes in San Bu Tun to work, this type of conditioning/rooting is a must. This btw is the same kind of "Neigong" effects in Bak Mei. It's not some hocus pocus "magic" stuff that people trying to sell. Beware of "Shen Gun" (peddlers of supernatural feasts).

Anyway, enjoy.

Warm regards

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Thanks brother,

Sorry to bother you again, the Bak Mei teacher performing belongs to which branch of bak mei?

I think you are on the money regarding the influence of the LY system added to Bak Mei.

Interesting Xin Yi clip of the old man, do you think the student was giving him his best shots?

regards
    Garry

Still no luck, Mantis 108?
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Glad to hear you think Bik Bu is an essential part of Pak Mei Mantis. I've always thought it was one of the cornerstones.

Anyone see Lee Ngai doing that Jik Bo on youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccUjuaGTllQ

Very fierce!
    Last edited by Faruq; 10-17-2006 at 06:33 PM.

Hey, Mantis 108 hasn't been around, so I want to address this question to anybody on the forum who reads Chinese fluently. Has ANYONE found any more Bak Mei Pai clips on the 6 rooms website this clip was found on?

http://www.6rooms.com/watch/105606.html

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Somehow I missed that Bai Mei San Bu Tun link yesterday. Real nice. Are there more Bak Mei clips on that 6 rooms website, Mantis 108?

I'm chatting online right now with a friend in China, so I'll ask her...

Ok, my friend checked for me and said that the only other bak mei result from her search was an ad for something