Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most valuable supplements

I neglected to mention milk at night, casein proteins digest slowly and decrease anabolism overnight.
    Bless you

This study seems to say that creatine only helps with high intensity activities.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/17/1676_50653.htm

I've read other places that creatine helps improve endurance
    Bless you

Logically one would imagine that creatine works for all activities because of creatine phosphate's role in energy delivery to skeletal muscle. I'm admittedly not very well read when it comes to exercise variations effecting energy pathways, but I was under the impression that all activities use the muscle's existing ATP stores (and thus creatine) before seeking it from other sources like muscle glycogen or oxygen.

You certainly know more about the subject than me, I was just stating what the doctor said in the article. I don't know if I agree or disagree.
    Bless you

BodyBuilding and MA

Supplements are best tailored for your specific goals. I practice Tai Chi and Bodybuilding with 30-40 minutes of time dedicated to Cardio 6 days every week.

If your goal is overall health, a diet of vegetables, low-fat meats, fruits and a multi-vitmain is likely enough to keep you feeling well. I'd toss in Omega-3s such as Barleens Flaxseed also.

For putting on tons of mass and size (like a bodybuilder) youll want to lift heavy at least 4 days a week and use creatine, l-arginine, whey protein based shakes (my favorite is Muscle Milk and CytoGainer) and high calorie intakes of low-fat foods (cottage chees, lean meats, etc)

I take:
    • Max Blast Cycle (creatine + NO2 + a bunch of ingredients)
    • Glutamine powder
    • Muscle Milk (protien shakes and RTDs)
    • NO2 pills with time release
    • Century Mens Multi-Vitamin
    • Cytogainer (High calorie shake/drink with protein)
    • Oatmeal - Breakfast
    • Lowfat Cottage Cheese, Lowfat milk
    • Smoked Red salmon

I used to take Optimum Whey 100% but I found Muscle Milk tastes 100x better and mixes well with water and milk.

Alpha-lipoic acid + acetyl-L-carnitine for energy & longevity

It was the cover story of the November 2003 Reader's Digest, "The New Pill That Can End Aging" http://www.juvenon.com/news/articles-rd.htm and it's been in the press lots recently (lots of good info at http://www.juvenon.com). It boosts energy at the cellular level (the mitochondria) and helps eliminate free radicals.

You can buy the capsules at Juvenon but I buy the supplements separately (and for much cheaper) and take 200 mg alpha lipoic acid and 500 mg of acetyl-L-carnitine twice daily. I'm surprised it's not more popular in the States:

And the old rats loved the stuff. Within weeks, they appeared re-energized, and their biochemistry was running more smoothly. There was a problem, however. As the Alcar improved mitochondrial health, it also appeared to increase the level of free radicals. Ames decided to add another nutritional supplement to his rats' diets, the anti-oxidant alpha lipoic acid. Another naturally occurring chemical, lipoic acid, he thought, should work by tuning up mitochondrial function, thereby lowering free radical oxidation.

The results were staggering. Said Ames earlier this year, after the findings of his research team were published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences:

"With these two supplements together, these old rats got up and did the Macarena. ... The brain looks better, they are full of energy. Everything we looked at looks more like a young animal."
    Last edited by ShaolinGirl; 11-26-2006 at 01:27 AM. Reason: typos and adding info

extagen.

And everthing else listed so far is great too.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi View Post
    I like to drink Pineapple juice after a workout.

Anyone drink protien-shakes During your workout?

I drink a glass of pineapple juice at least 4 times per week. I love the stuff. I don't do it for any specific nutritional reason, I just like pineapple juice.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    What kind of carb should I take immediately after a workout with my whey protein and why?

High glycemic(dextrose, maltodextrin)carbs in a ration on 3:1(carbs: protein)works well for me. Bascially one scoop of ON whey protein with three of the little gartorade bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    These are the essentials in my opinion 1. Good multivitamin, to replenish anything the diet neglects 2. whey protein, post workout recovery, fast digestion 3. Water Water Water and Tea nothing like hydration (and a recent study on the BBC says tea actually does not dehydrate but rather replenishes bodily fluids
    These are the staples which I always use.

other good ones...

creatine- strength and even endurance, it will only enhance the hard work you are doing by increasing the efficiency of muscle cells. Creatine will not necessarily make you gain weight, your workout/caloric intake ratio will determine that. Creatine monohydrate turns into creatine phosphate in the body, an immediate precursor to ATP. Creatine can be considered essential for power athletes.

amino acid supplements- for recovery, of course whey protein and many protein rich foods contain them, but rigorous exercise can deplete them and they aid in recovery, some (glutamine and lycene) actully support the immune system and they prevent breakdown of muscles during training. (The jury is still out on if it is necessary to supplement amino acids due to the fact that they are already in the protein you are consuming. Some Amino Acids are taken pre workout such as arginine and taurine. Both are thought to supply the body with more energy (arginine through helping the body use more NO)

I also grind flaxseeds and put them in my cereal and smoothies. Flaxseeds contain omega 3 fatty acids. More info here:

Fish oil is probably an even better source of omega 3's, including DHA

http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84

ZMA- zinc, magnesium, and Vit B6 - Aides in recovery and improves quality of rest. Also increases testerone.

glucosamine/chondroien/msn-grappling and exercise can be murder on joints. These nutrients can help repair damage and improve joint/tissue health.

vitamin C- antioxidants repair cellular damage and improve immune health.

NO boosters can help generate energy for your workout

Muscle Milk is a combination of Casein proteins (slow digesting), healthy fats, and a creatine precursor, good as a night time or recovery day protein

Casein Proteins are great for before bed or recovery days. Slow digesting protein.

Anyone else have any essentials of theirs they would like to share?

Any thoughts welcomed.

if your getting a cold
    www.zicam.com
    it is some good stuff!
    Cool, now a serious question:
    We know that creatine works because so many studies have show it to work and you don't need much time to see it work if you take it yourself ( couple of weeks usually, if not sooner).
    But what of the other stuff like ZMA and tribulus Teterus (SP?)
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

There are some studies on ZMA, mainly that it increased testosterone levels, maybe I'll be 'not lazy' enough to look them up for you!

My experience with zma are that I do sleep better when taking it, I have crazy dreams every night when I take it, and I wake up with supper stiff morning wood!

I take it in cycles, a month on, a month off....

as for the other stuff
    Bless you

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !