Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most valuable supplements

Most valuable supplements

These are the essentials in my opinion 1. Good multivitamin, to replenish anything the diet neglects 2. whey protein, post workout recovery, fast digestion 3. Water Water Water and Tea nothing like hydration (and a recent study on the BBC says tea actually does not dehydrate but rather replenishes bodily fluids
    These are the staples which I always use.

other good ones...

creatine- strength and even endurance, it will only enhance the hard work you are doing by increasing the efficiency of muscle cells. Creatine will not necessarily make you gain weight, your workout/caloric intake ratio will determine that. Creatine monohydrate turns into creatine phosphate in the body, an immediate precursor to ATP. Creatine can be considered essential for power athletes.

amino acid supplements- for recovery, of course whey protein and many protein rich foods contain them, but rigorous exercise can deplete them and they aid in recovery, some (glutamine and lycene) actully support the immune system and they prevent breakdown of muscles during training. (The jury is still out on if it is necessary to supplement amino acids due to the fact that they are already in the protein you are consuming. Some Amino Acids are taken pre workout such as arginine and taurine. Both are thought to supply the body with more energy (arginine through helping the body use more NO)

I also grind flaxseeds and put them in my cereal and smoothies. Flaxseeds contain omega 3 fatty acids. More info here:

Fish oil is probably an even better source of omega 3's, including DHA

http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84

ZMA- zinc, magnesium, and Vit B6 - Aides in recovery and improves quality of rest. Also increases testerone.

glucosamine/chondroien/msn-grappling and exercise can be murder on joints. These nutrients can help repair damage and improve joint/tissue health.

vitamin C- antioxidants repair cellular damage and improve immune health.

NO boosters can help generate energy for your workout

Muscle Milk is a combination of Casein proteins (slow digesting), healthy fats, and a creatine precursor, good as a night time or recovery day protein

Casein Proteins are great for before bed or recovery days. Slow digesting protein.

Anyone else have any essentials of theirs they would like to share?

Any thoughts welcomed.

if your getting a cold
    www.zicam.com
    it is some good stuff!
    Last edited by bodhitree; 12-13-2007 at 08:27 AM. Reason: stuff
    Bless you

Most of the above- I'll have to try amino acids and whey protein though

I also take Zinc, B-Complex, Flaxseed Oil (Omega-3) and Capsaicin (capsule format.) Maybe it's just the placebo effect but I've noticed that taking a good amount of Cayenne fruit extract is helping me to stay focused somehow. I sweat a bit more, but that's good as long as I keep the fluids coming. The effect of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM has been quite signifigant for me as well.

I used to take multivitamins, and loved the effect they had on me, but they started to make me nauseous. I'm trying to find a milder vitamin, or to buy the various components seperately and take them at various times during the day, but it seems REALLY expensive.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Good contributions. B's are great for energy. omega threes are great for a lot of things!! I know not about the others you spoke of, please enlighten me. Thanks.
    Bless you

I take fish oils on a regular basis for their antiinflammatory effect and their positive effect on brain function, and protein powders help if you can't eat enough solid food.

H20,

Diet tips like, drinking COLD water, eating breakfast, eating 4-6 small meals, greens and other colors.....

Glucosomine and fish oil.... some of the best stuff on earth.

Black licorice, blueberries, greentea, garlic.

Get basic equipment like scale, alarm clock, good shoes, pedometer, mobile fm or mp3 player.

I use airborne, but any athlete should at least have some sort of zinc or other cold-preventative on their kitchen counter, then they should actually use it.

The more stuff your using on a consistent basis, the thiner your blood will be (this includes vitamins.) So keep that in mind, its getting cold soon.

Take lots of showers, tend to minor injurys (clean, neosporin, bandage...) - wash your hands, often.

strike!

Most of us probably do not need to be taking multi-vitamins. After lng-term use, 'specially the same type and brand, for us healthily-minded athletic types, we are probably causeing small toxicitys within our bodies. Most multi-vitamins have close to 100% or more of everything, everything. So do most other commercial products, like your protien power, whatever power your creatine comes in, etc. Too much iron, magnesium, etc, will have short term effects like nausea, but will also have longer term toxic effects.

Eat raw foods, eat banannas however you can get them, and take the smallest does asprin you can find. (I have found a 55mg, but usually they come in 88 or 100 or more.) Probably, if you take a lot of supplements daily anyways, the asprin is not necessary, it main job is to thin the blood, to help nutrients/toxins, and more of them, move through the blood easier and faster.
    strike!

I actually just bought glucosamine/chondroitin/msn today. I think it will be really beneficial, as I have pain in my left elbow from an armbar months ago.
    Bless you

Talking Steeeeeeeeeeeeeroids

Fish Oil

Glucosamine

Protein Powders - whey and casein. I can't get enough calories to stay feeling healthy, maintain (or gain) bodyweight without them. Still I get 3,500 calories in without them

Amino Acids - quick and easy. I notice the difference in the way my body feels when I have access to these little joys

Vitamins - I like Animal Pak when it's on sale, and I've always got C, the Bs, Magnesium and Zinc on-hand

Powdered Vegetables - I eat three cups of vegetables a day. A paultry amount, so I use these in two of my three shakes

The one thing I watch for, though, is keeping my diet clean and consistent. I eat a protein-rich diet, consisting mostly of fish (tuna), chicken, and hamburger (home-cooked). I make sure I have vegetables for every meal (this is much easier than it sounds) and avoid as much fast food and soft drinks as possible (no more than 2 20oz soft drinks in a week, no more than 2 meals fast-food in a week).

I also tailor my diet to my training, adjusting caloric intake according to my weight and karate training. The only real differences I make, though, tend to be in amount, not make-up.

A typical diet for the Vash -

Morning:
    4 Eggs, 2 Pieces Toast, 16oz real Orange Juice mixed w/2 scoops whey protein

After workout

Carbohydrate/whey protein drink

Meal 3
    EITHER 1lb hamburger, 1 tomato, 1 cup lettuce, OR 2 cans tuna, 1 cup lettuce, 1/2 cup chopped cellery, 1 tomato, 1 bag dry ramen noodles, 2 tbsp dressing

Meal 4

Whey protein in 16oz milk with 1 serving veg. powder

Meal 5

Whey protein in 16oz milk with 1 serving veg. powder

Meal 6
    EITHER meal 3 or the tuna alternative using large skinless chicken breast

Meal 7

Casein protein in 16oz milk with 1 serving veg. powder

So far, my kidneys work fine, my digestion is only mildly odorous, and I have not succumbed to madness.
    Last edited by Vash; 09-10-2006 at 07:43 PM. Reason: I don't spellz good.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    ...I have not succumbed to madness.
    Pfwaff.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

What kind of carb should I take immediately after a workout with my whey protein and why?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

I like to drink Pineapple juice after a workout.

Anyone drink protien-shakes During your workout?

strike!

Pineapple? Why? Like the taste?!

I read in a Michael Colgan book that pectin helps you absorb the protein after a workout, so I often eat an apple and have a protein drink straight after training. Doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. I started the apple habit when I went down with asthma last year as it's supposed to be beneficial for asthmatics so maybe it's killing two birds. Mind you I seem to be over the asthma, touch wood.

But recently I've heard that eating some simple carbs like white rice immediately after a workout is good for you, hence my question. I sometimes get a craving for an onigiri just after training: don't know if that's the protein, the rice or the DHA (I usually eat salmon onigiri).

I tried drinking protein in a long workout but every time it just made me feel like puking so I don't anymore. I just stick to water.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    Good contributions. B's are great for energy. omega threes are great for a lot of things!! I know not about the others you spoke of, please enlighten me. Thanks.
    As someone else pointed out, Zinc does wonders for helping your immune system along with Vit-C. It also apparently makes you fertile/potent which could be good or bad depending on the situation.

Capsaicin is the part of a chili pepper that makes your mouth burn. Research on the effects of capsaicin on metabolism is inconclusive at best, but cayenne and other potent chilies raise the body's internal temperature slightly, causing sweat to cool the skin. (Ever notice that most spicy foods originate in warm-to-hot climates? There's a reason...) As for whether it raises metabolism or not, who knows? I get a bunch of capsaicin just from the better part of my diet alone, but I figure a Cayenne fruit capsule or two can't hurt either.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Greetings..

Source of Life liquid vitamins and minerals..

Univera Reginicare.. google it. Univera products ROCK!

Colostrum.. same, google it..

The rest is covered by a wise diet..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

anyone else have anything good or bad to say about animal pack.

my buddy abandoned some at my house and i began taking them last week. i notice a mild caffine like buzz shortly after taking them that has come in handy while lifting.
    where's my beer?