Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's kuzushi in Chinese?

What's kuzushi in Chinese?

What's kuzushi in Chinese (崩ーし)?

I'm wondering not only about the semantic/linguistic aspect but whether CMA have the same concept... Maybe in wing chun it'd be 'chum' (sinking)... maybe not! I'm sure that would be part of it though.

For people who haven't done Japanese grappling arts BTW kuzushi loosely translates as 'crushing' and is used for crushing rocks or in the JMA for taking the balance.

In aiki this is using a heavy weighted arm (shoulder, hip or anything would actually) plus of course well-distributed bodyweight through a strong structure and dropping it through your opponent's centre of balance. The timing is also important for reading your opponent's body so you can use his position/action against him without using strength against strength. It is the basis of effortless-seeming throws/takedowns.

In judo I daresay it has a slightly different meaning.

Aiki atemi can also achieve the same aim, driving down through the centre. This is similar to a wing chun strike, and the hsingyi that I've felt, so I was wondering if there was a direct analogous Chinese translation or whether it is a mix of differetn concepts.

Anyone want to weigh in?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    beng/bong/bung as in the form 'Crushing Step' bung bo/beng bu.

????? a big fat maybe on my part ?????

I'd never heard kazushi translated directly as 'crushing'. I'll have to ask my JJJ teacher next time I see him how he translates it.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    What's kuzushi in Chinese (崩ーし)?
    I don't know what you are talking about. but, I just want to point out those characters that you posted aren't chinese. One character is, but the rest look japanese, so it is probably a japanese rendition of something.
    dazed and confused

guy a) it was so foggy out last night

guy b) kuzushi

guy a) no, it was thick as soup
    Kung Fu is good for you.

wow dj that was pretty clever. i have to give it to you on that one.

in judo i learned the term kuzushi as putting a person off balance. I don't know if that helps but thats what i learned. I haven't been taught a chinese word for the same concept but i would say ask some shaui jiao ppl they might have a better vocabulary for that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post

????? a big fat maybe on my part ?????

I'd never heard kazushi translated directly as 'crushing'. I'll have to ask my JJJ teacher next time I see him how he translates it.
    You are correct! I just checked my own dictionary ( ) and the Chinese readings are 'hou' and 'beng', don't know which Chinese, which tones or which areas because it's my Japanese kanji dictionary.

The dictionary def is 'destroy', 'crush' or 'pull down'.

Am I right in thinking 'beng' is basically a striking dynamic?

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMonk View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about. but, I just want to point out those characters that you posted aren't chinese. One character is, but the rest look japanese, so it is probably a japanese rendition of something.
    Thanks yeah, I wasn't clear enough: I was providing the Japanese in case someone could come up with the Chinese rendition. That's why I split up the 'kuzu' kanji from the 'shi' kana with a hyphen. I live in Tokyo and am relatively fluent in Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    guy a) it was so foggy out last night

guy b) kuzushi

guy a) no, it was thick as soup
    That was quite good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    in judo i learned the term kuzushi as putting a person off balance.
    Yep, that's the basic drift.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Very enlightening. I had previously only heard 'Kazushi' in martial arts used in the specific context of defeating Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (Sakuraba anyone?). LOL. Okay, okay, that was weak. I know. I know.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

No, that was good too!

And important! Much as Oso's answer was sweeeet, he still managed to spell 'kuzushi' 'kazushi'... people just don't seem to realize that much like any language if you spell a Japanese word wrongly it becomes another word! Pretty much like if I spell 'dog' D-I-G it becomes a different word, or if I spell 'bush' T-U-R-K-E-Y or something like that!

Always makes me laugh when I see 'ju jits' which is impossible in Japanese, or 'ju jitsu' which would mean 'soft fact' or something...

kuzushi = destroy, crush, pull down
    Kazushi = a guy's name

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    You are correct! I just checked my own dictionary ( ) and the Chinese readings are 'hou' and 'beng', don't know which Chinese, which tones or which areas because it's my Japanese kanji dictionary.

Am I right in thinking 'beng' is basically a striking dynamic?

basically. in the form 'Beng Bu' I personally infer it as 'destroy'.

And important! Much as Oso's answer was sweeeet, he still managed to spell 'kuzushi' 'kazushi'... people just don't seem to realize that much like any language if you spell a Japanese word wrongly it becomes another word! Pretty much like if I spell 'dog' D-I-G it becomes a different word, or if I spell 'bush' T-U-R-K-E-Y or something like that!

lways makes me laugh when I see 'ju jits' which is impossible in Japanese, or 'ju jitsu' which would mean 'soft fact' or something...

kuzushi = destroy, crush, pull down
    Kazushi = a guy's name
    LOL, so sue me...I'm a southerner and I learned the word from other southerners.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Very enlightening. I had previously only heard 'Kazushi' in martial arts used in the specific context of defeating Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (Sakuraba anyone?). LOL. Okay, okay, that was weak. I know. I know.
    weak isn't the word...
    Bless you

That type of Japanese can't be directly translated to chinese as it is phonetic, If you post the Kanji, perhaps we could help you.
    Bless you

i thought he was laready helped.

I think kazushi translates as "four losses for the Gracies."

LOL, so sue me...I'm a southerner and I learned the word from other southerners.
    You worth much?!

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    That type of Japanese can't be directly translated to chinese as it is phonetic, If you post the Kanji, perhaps we could help you.
    It's in the first post: I guess you don't have a Japanese reader enabled?!

Also the answer is here:
    And here:

Ultimate, since you're here, we don't have beng in wing chun do we? Another way of reading that character perhaps? I was wondering because kuzushi seems just like the positioning and delivery of most sinking strikes in chun...