Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st night at Gracies

1st night at Gracies

I didn't care for 3 or the 4 teachines/positions shown but really liked the fourth (a sciccors sweep from the back)... good leverages involved.

A little concerned over the size of the class. I'm used to very small or private classes and found myself one of about 10 first day newbies in a class of 30 other white belts ranging from 1st week, 1st month, 3 month ect.

First month fee (including registration so tuition can be pulled from your account): $250. Monthly tuition fee there after: $187. That gets you up to 3, 1 hour classes a week. I can live with that, I was paying $150 for two classes a week before, granted those classes were 3 hours long.

I'm interested and will most likely sign up and officially start tomorrow, but a little concerned about the class size. Though, at the same time I know you have to start at the beginning. It's a nice challenge because it's completely new: no kicking or punching, just rolling and conditioning and grappling.

I figure I got nothing to lose now, might as well give it a chance, and will go 3 night a week.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I wouldn't worry about class size. If they run it right you'll be rolling with lot's of different people and that's a good thing. If what they say is true, and you dominate your belt level, you'll get moved up quickly.

1 hour is too short though. Do they offer longer classes for more advanced students? I could see running just one hour for like white belts to introduce them to the discipline and get their stamina built up. But, once you move past that I would think they'd give you more mat time in a single class. Are there open mat times?

good luck and have fun.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I would also ask about no-gi training. I'm sure the instruction is going to be top-notch either way.

Good luck!

does renzo teach the class? or his senior students do?

I just took my first BJJ class last night

The instructor is a Machado purple belt. Last night there were only 7 people in the class including me and the instructor. So that was pretty cool. We warmed up for a bit and then worked techniques for about 30 min or so then the more experienced people had individual matches in 5 minute rounds. Each person probably rolled for about 3 rounds each. I just watched for that part. It was cool. The rolling was pretty intense. I'm not sure if I was expecting that much intesity. I'm going to take another free class on Thursday night and give rolling a go. If everything goes well, I'll probably sign up on saturday. Fees are $100 a month.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Ray, how much for privates, or if you can only make it in once a week? My schedule is real tight. Matt Serra is right around the block from me, but I don't want to go local. Do you know anything about the BJJ school out east?
    Since you're in Long Beach, NYC might be easier for you anyway.

We're working with the gi now and that's fine. I actually want to learn it that way so I can see the elvolution for myself. I always prefer studying a styles formula over getting the bottled finished product.

I've already thought about how I could use the sweep in a no gi situation, but right now, there's some benefits about being a newbie. No pressure, just absorb what I can.

I want to move up and roll with some of the more advanced guys, but at the same time I don't want to overstep the basics, things like rolling and breakfalling. I'm philosophically against some of these things, but I want to keep an open mind... empty the cup so to speak.

They have randori sessions during the day but I have a 9 to 5. What was cool, one of the guys said, "Oh, we got guys that are here all day' they're pros. This is their job." I liked that.

I'm sure once I move up more opportunities will present themselves.

Ray

There is a guy there called John Danaher...He is a black belt from NZ originally. If you get the chance take privates with him or at least try and take classes with him if hes teaching them. Some friends of mine used to train with him and say he is an amazing teacher.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    but I want to keep an open mind... empty the cup so to speak.
    Just don't forget your cup when you go to class
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Funny you say that. I didn't bring one last night and my female partner kept digging a shoulder on a shoot drill

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I didn't care for 3 or the 4 teachines/positions shown .
    Which ones were those and why didn't you like them?

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Just don't forget your cup when you go to class
    i dont know why but this made me think of someone losing a bet and having to drink out of their buddies sweaty ass cup.

man .... why would anyone ever agree to that kind of bet? weirdos.
    where's my beer?

man, I feel fortunate... We've got a BTT black belt and two brown belts and our classes aren't that much - and we offer 4 two hour classes per week. Even though I train for fee now, when I was paying it wasn't like that. However, I would definitely say that it's worth it. Good luck with bjj and with the new school. I think you'll love it.

Which positions were you shown that you didn't like? why didn't you like them?

as for rolling with the advanced guys, be patient. Trust me, you'll spend PLENTY of time getting tapped out by them soon enough.

you said there are randori sessions during the day - are there none in the evening?

Lastly, what philosophically do they do that you are against? is that why you didn't like the three positions?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I didn't like this oen drill where someone grabs your waist from behind.

First to step to the side and hook their leg. Yes, once you hook the leg they can't lift you, but even in a cooperative drill it wasn't easy to find that leg and hook it.... I'm sure I'll get better in time.

After that, you bend and put both hands on the floor so your weight doesn't go back, then grab the leg and pull and sit on it.

It works, but it seems like a lot of steps while your back is exposed. I'd rather take half a step forward creating space, and shoor my ass and hips out and come around with an elbow. Better to focus on one hand and not let them complete the lock.

But like I said, I'm open. Just liked that one the least, doubt they do that in real situations. Sure it's a base skill to be implemented later in another way.

The other was the shoot, but everyone knows my feelings about that. But again, I'm emptying the cup.

The break falls, where you slam your hands on the mat... I don't see that as a viable option on the cement. I have a different method I'm comfortable doing on cement, even train it by letting students capture a round house kick and sweep the support leg.

But again, empty, empty, empty. Looking forward to tomorrow night. I'll be training Tues., Thurs and Fri. nights.

Stoked. Great work out. Soaked after one hour.

That does sound pretty lame.

Sounds like you need a training partner in your martial art that is interested in fighting, and/or a fight coach.

There's gotta be somebody in NY like that.

Breakfalls are no big deal on concrete, though. I don't know how they do them in BJJ but at least Judo breakfalls aren't a big deal on concrete.

(That is, with lower throws. Over the hip or head throws could hurt a bit).
    Last edited by lunghushan; 09-13-2006 at 12:04 PM.