Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st night at Gracies

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I didn't like this oen drill where someone grabs your waist from behind.

First to step to the side and hook their leg. Yes, once you hook the leg they can't lift you, but even in a cooperative drill it wasn't easy to find that leg and hook it.... I'm sure I'll get better in time.
    sounds like their self defense stuff. We do a different variation of that one where instead of hooking the leg, you step the leg behind them and take them down with something that looks like judo's sukui nage or silat's kinjit kepala. Good stuff.

The other was the shoot, but everyone knows my feelings about that. But again, I'm emptying the cup.
    once you've actually gotten hang of the shoot, I think you'll like it. We'll see. And hell, it's perfect for what you like to do anyway - get inside.

The break falls, where you slam your hands on the mat... I don't see that as a viable option on the cement. I have a different method I'm comfortable doing on cement, even train it by letting students capture a round house kick and sweep the support leg.
    I've done it several times. I've done it in altercations and also in class - In judo I used to demo the breakfalls on a concrete floor to show them that the breakfalls can work on such a surface. On the same token, I've seen a nasty vid of a guy's arm shattering from slapping it on the cement. If I remember correctly though, he landed funny anyway, and once his hand slapped, you just see his arm snap.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    That does sound pretty lame.

Sounds like you need a training partner in your martial art that is interested in fighting, and/or a fight coach.

There's gotta be somebody in NY like that.
    He's already said that nobody in his art wants to fight. As for a coach, he would still have to train at the coach's gym, meaning he would be training in what his school taught. Essentially, that's what he's done now. He's on the right track.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    He's already said that nobody in his art wants to fight. As for a coach, he would still have to train at the coach's gym, meaning he would be training in what his school taught. Essentially, that's what he's done now. He's on the right track.
    It sounds kindof like a stupid drill, though. It's too bad there's not a way to drill your own MA with fighters.

It sounds kindof like a stupid drill, though. It's too bad there's not a way to drill your own MA with fighters.
    there is, its called UFC, but they have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by hjt View Post
    That is not drilling. That is fighting.

Ray,

Simplist thing to do is buy or download instructionals or even visit sites on mma and bjj, subgrappling and get a partner and work it out. Eric Paulson has some great dvds, as well many other subgrappling masters. Then go back to the school and roll in a casual lesson, this has worked for me and i did well against the grapplers here.

Maybe just do a casual lesson a week go home refine the skills and then go back and train again...?

good luck with it all.

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by hjt View Post
    UFC is a fighting venue... how has it failed?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by fiercest tiger View Post
    Ray,

Simplist thing to do is buy or download instructionals or even visit sites on mma and bjj, subgrappling and get a partner and work it out. Eric Paulson has some great dvds, as well many other subgrappling masters. Then go back to the school and roll in a casual lesson, this has worked for me and i did well against the grapplers here.

Maybe just do a casual lesson a week go home refine the skills and then go back and train again...?

good luck with it all.

Garry

that would work with the guys at his former school, but would not against competitive fighters.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Do you find it odd that you are the only one who has a problem with that? Most likely, the only way you'd EVER find something like that is to start a fight club of sorts. People go to schools to learn what the school is teaching, not to learn from / play with every tom, dyck and harry who wants to work with guys from a different style. I'm very open minded, and I wouldn't even allow that. why? because you're wasting both my and my fighter's time. The only way I would entertain the thought is if on a sparring night you were there - he needs bodies to spar with, so I'd let you in the ring with him.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Do you find it odd that you are the only one who has a problem with that? Most likely, the only way you'd EVER find something like that is to start a fight club of sorts. People go to schools to learn what the school is teaching, not to learn from / play with every tom, dyck and harry who wants to work with guys from a different style. I'm very open minded, and I wouldn't even allow that. why? because you're wasting both my and my fighter's time. The only way I would entertain the thought is if on a sparring night you were there - he needs bodies to spar with, so I'd let you in the ring with him.
    No, Sevenstar, I don't find it odd.

Because Ray has the same problem.

And I suspect a lot of other people have the same problem. Otherwise we'd be seeing a lot more CMA winning in the ring.

Seven Star,
    Don't waste your time nor breath bro. I have been back and forth with Lung via email since I moved up here trying to help him to a better understanding, but he is set in his ways and what he wants. It is too bad really because the kid obviously has a bit of desire, but it is not focused. Just think of all the time he has wasted trying to convince people of his ideology here on the web, when he could be training with someone! Oh well, to each their own a wise woman once told me!

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Seven Star,
    Don't waste your time nor breath bro. I have been back and forth with Lung via email since I moved up here trying to help him to a better understanding, but he is set in his ways and what he wants. It is too bad really because the kid obviously has a bit of desire, but it is not focused. Just think of all the time he has wasted trying to convince people of his ideology here on the web, when he could be training with someone! Oh well, to each their own a wise woman once told me!

Cheers
    Jake
    Jake, I'm 35 ... I'm not a kid. Plus, like I said, my sifu doesn't like publicity.

I'm not going to join something doing a style that I don't like just because there's more partner training. I already tried that. I did karate for a while because they did more sparring, but karate is kindof boring.

Bottom line is, it is YOU guys who don't get it.
    Last edited by lunghushan; 09-13-2006 at 02:46 PM.

No, Sevenstar, I don't find it odd.

Because Ray has the same problem.

And I suspect a lot of other people have the same problem. Otherwise we'd be seeing a lot more CMA winning in the ring.
    that's not his problem. His problem was he was wanting his teacher to be his fight coach and his teacher was not interested in fighting. Now, he's looking for a coach and school to suit him.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

that's not his problem. His problem was he was wanting his teacher to be his fight coach and his teacher was not interested in fighting. Now, he's looking for a coach and school to suit him.
    Actually, no, he wanted serious training partners in his style. There was no one at his place that was interested in training to fight.

It was US who said he needed a fight coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Seven Star,

Cheers
    Jake
    you've definitely got a point there.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter