Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1st night at Gracies

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    Actually, no, he wanted serious training partners in his style. There was no one at his place that was interested in training to fight.

It was US who said he needed a fight coach.
    same difference. if he's at a school with guys who want to fight, he's obviously gonna have someone to coach him as well. He left because of differences with his teacher, not because of the students.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    same difference. if he's at a school with guys who want to fight, he's obviously gonna have someone to coach him as well. He left because of differences with his teacher, not because of the students.
    If I had to guess, I'd imagine that the conversation with the teacher went along the lines of something like:

Ray: "More fighting and practice."
    Teacher: "No."

Ray: "See ya."

Because I've had the same conversation with teachers. You can't reason with old Chinese guys. LOL

Ray,

Hooking the leg is simple and you'll get better at it.

If you are describing the rest of the move accurately, you're actually learning how to do a rolling kneebar. You just don't realize it yet
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

So I've had conversations with a lot of MA teachers.

Bottom line is: nobody wants to be flexible in what they're doing. The shoe thing is a great example of that. Lots of things grow on the mats. There's ringworm, there's mat herpes, etc.

So wearing shoes is a good idea. Not wearing shoes is a very bad idea.

But nobody really wants to deal with that subject. In fact, the only person I ran into who realizes it is a problem is Scotty Sonnen. Coincidentally, he also has a PhD. Maybe he's just smarter? I don't know.

I could list a lot of examples.

Anyway, I'm not really worried about it anymore. If Ray wants to do ring fighting then he should go find a good ring fighting coach. He won't get enough realistic partner practice at most traditional schools to be a good ring fighter.

He had a very noble idea of applying traditional CMA into the ring, but where are you going to find a teacher like that? Probably aren't going to find one. I don't know of any.

So if I were Ray, I'd just book myself immediately into Coach Ross's school, or Team Quest or something.

lung,

almost everybody realizes it's a problem. That's why they wash the mats at least once a day, with a germicidal mat cleaner.

If that hasn't been your experience, then all I can say is I wouldn't train there either.

And shoes on the mat are a bad idea, unless those shoes have never been on the ground outside. How do you think mat gonaherpesyphilaids gets spread?
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    lung,

almost everybody realizes it's a problem. That's why they wash the mats at least once a day, with a germicidal mat cleaner.

If that hasn't been your experience, then all I can say is I wouldn't train there either.

And shoes on the mat are a bad idea, unless those shoes have never been on the ground outside. How do you think mat gonaherpesyphilaids gets spread?
    You use mat shoes, shoes that have never been outside. That will help keep people's feet from bleeding and picking up something.

I mean, people used to always bleed in martial arts classes years ago, but it wasn't such a big deal because so many fewer people had these illnesses.

Anyway, I just think it's ironic because I brought this up before on Bullshido and the co-founder got on my case hard about it, and then he got mat herpes from a BJJ tourney.

But yeah, I've been to lots of places that don't clean the mats after every class. Especially if they do classes every hour or every 1 1/2 hours, they don't clean the mats. Sometimes for days.

In fact the first place I ever went to that had very non-porous mats that cleaned them after every class was some kind of karate in 1997, I think. I can't even remember what kind, now.

Judo they had a canvas porous mat that you couldn't even clean right. The instructor carefully cleaned it before every class, but what's the point if it's totally porous?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I didn't like this oen drill where someone grabs your waist from behind.
    I'm with you here Ray. I'm not a big fan of the majority of BJJ "self-defense" moves either. When I was in beginner/intermediate classes, I used to walk out thinking I wanted my money back for the classes in which that stuff was taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post

If you are describing the rest of the move accurately, you're actually learning how to do a rolling kneebar. You just don't realize it yet
    I don't think he is talking about the rolling knee bar. He is talking about the Self Defense move in which one reaches between one's legs and pulls the opponent's legs up, dumping the opponent on his butt and then cranking the knee from a standing position. If I remember correctly, it is done when the arms are free and the opponent is holding around the waist from behind. It is one of the standard Gracie self-defense moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    I don't think he is talking about the rolling knee bar. He is talking about the Self Defense move in which one reaches between one's legs and pulls the opponent's legs up, dumping the opponent on his butt and then cranking the knee from a standing position. If I remember correctly, it is done when the arms are free and the opponent is holding around the waist from behind. It is one of the standard Gracie self-defense moves.
    I believe that KF is correct, it's a fairly standard move (even GASP, seen it in sambo and Shuai Jiao) .... not that fond of it but for what it is worth I've seen it pulled off live in San Da matches
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Lung
    Age is a number. Maturity is totally different. Again you expect people to work around what you want/think is right. Let me ask you this.... would you have the same attitude about a job you are interviewing for? I think not, or you would never get it. I understand your frustrations, but your attitude is what is turning a lot of people off I think. I am in no way trying to wad your panties, just giving you an unbiased opinion.
    You make a lot of general statements like the shoe thing for instance.....I wear shoes on my mats! My students do if they choose. So maybe you should not project such a negative attitude in this regard.
    Hope I did not offend,
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd imagine that the conversation with the teacher went along the lines of something like:

Ray: "See ya."

Because I've had the same conversation with teachers. You can't reason with old Chinese guys. LOL

You weren't there, that's not what happened, don't make up a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Lung
    Age is a number. Maturity is totally different. Again you expect people to work around what you want/think is right. Let me ask you this.... would you have the same attitude about a job you are interviewing for? I think not, or you would never get it. I understand your frustrations, but your attitude is what is turning a lot of people off I think. I am in no way trying to wad your panties, just giving you an unbiased opinion.
    You make a lot of general statements like the shoe thing for instance.....I wear shoes on my mats! My students do if they choose. So maybe you should not project such a negative attitude in this regard.
    Hope I did not offend,
    Jake
    Interviewing. You are interviewing for a job, not me. You are expecting me to pay you $. You are the one interviewing.

If you went on an interview and were inflexible, then yes, you probably would not get the job.
    In fact, I did interview you. And you were inflexible, so you did not get the job.

So now that we have that over, we can resume our discussion. And no, we are not cool. Your insinuations of immaturity are not cool.
    Last edited by lunghushan; 09-13-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dleungnyc View Post
    You weren't there, that's not what happened, don't make up a story.
    It was a guess. I have no idea what happened. Honestly I really don't care.

Bottom line is this. It is no longer 100s of years ago when you had to do what your martial arts 'master' said. It is now a consumer economy where martial arts teachers and schools offer a service.

So if you do not offer something the student wants, they do not have to take your classes or pay you.

It's very simple. You don't have to insinuate that I am young or immature. That's not going to make me want to study with you. In fact, it's not even going to make me like you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    UFC is a fighting venue... how has it failed?
    i was referring to lungsomething post

he mention that CMA'ers cant drill or use their techniques for fighting.