Thread: Taoist Magic

Hybrid View

Taoist Magic

Anyone learn or understand Taoist Magic??

Garry

To date I have not met anyone who called themselves a Taoist who wasn't either FOS or managed to side talk me out of some money or time or had so much krap flowing from their mouths that it made my head spin.

The only true Taoist "I" know of in the states is Sher K. Lew and he's no BS but highly doubtful that he would introduce you to "taoist magic" although I did hear a story that his teacher could make himself appear in two different places at the same time. However, that's a "story" so take it for what it's worth.

I think this topic is a slippery slope and likens to Japanese Ninja arts and David Carridine walking up walls. I suggest you hold tightly onto your wallet while investigating or they may teach a little Watch the Money Disappear trick.

Just my humble opinion (from experience).

Great Post Woliveri; you took the words right out of my mouth.

Just like Kung Fu, Chi Gung is hard work that pays off only after time and effort. Those that would seek fancy tricks usually don't have what it takes to incorporate Taoist Chi Gung into their lives. Seek the healthier life style that these practices bring and you'll go far.
    Always learning

Greetings..

Here's the thing.. what is a "Taoist"?

Some people will tell you that you must belong to a "Taoist Religious Sect", study the rituals and deities and chant like a lunatic.. others will tell you that is is a fondness for the general philosophy.. personally, i find the philosophy consistent with my understanding of Life (Tao).. of course, i am partial to the Bohemian lifestyle and its relationship to Taoist philosophy, so.. add me to the BS category..

In many ways, Taoism is a sanctuary for those that don't quite fit other descriptions.. hence, my new school T-shirts will have a line on the back which says, "and sanctuary for wayward Taoists".. which is appropriate since, to the degree we each deviate from the cycles of nature, we are wayward Taoists..

Taoism is most often a catch-all word for the general public's trend toward non-conformity.. while philosophical Taoism and stories of the immortals support this notion, there is too little mentioned regarding the path to arrive at this state of being..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

A few times when asked what religion I consider myself to practice I responded "Taoist" and so I guess you could add me to the BS list as well. I've also said Yoga, pre-Hindu, eclectic, Kristain (with a K) and catholic (with a small c). Hell, I might even make up my own. My point is this; folks who place an emphasis on titles and abilities often have a some what hollow practice. Find a teacher that will start you on the basics and recommend that you practice every day.
    Always learning

The reason i asked the question is because i am reading a book called Master Chuang, that is about Taoist Magic etc and thought if anyone learnt anything such as this in his book.

Garry

What do you consider Taoist Magic to be, Garry?

Quote Originally Posted by fiercest tiger View Post
    The reason i asked the question is because i am reading a book called Master Chuang, that is about Taoist Magic etc and thought if anyone learnt anything such as this in his book.

Garry
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob View Post
    Greetings..

Here's the thing.. what is a "Taoist"?

Some people will tell you that you must belong to a "Taoist Religious Sect", study the rituals and deities and chant like a lunatic.. ..
    Why "like a lunatic"?

The BS thing

BS meaning no substantial information flowing from their mouths and so just saying lovely Taoist key words to soucnd cool... This is more what I mean with the BS statement.

I consider myself someone who "seeks" to follow the Tao but I do not consider myself a Taoist.

#### Once something like this is "Named" it ceases to exist. ####

Know what I mean????

But the Tao cannot be named!!!!