Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Training hard

Quote Originally Posted by franco1688 View Post
    In regards to fighting and training in general, aerobic conditioning and anaerobic conditioning are of equal importance. Aneorbic alone is great for short bursts of energy. If you can't end the fight quickly you have to be able to last. A well rounded fighter and athlete works on both. That's about all I have left to say about this subject. Best wishes and I hope your approach works well for you.
    I'm sorry, but no, they aren't - unless you are fighting a LONG match. Hell, boxers fight 12 rounds and most of them only run 3 - 5 miles. And not necessarily everyday. It's not just my approach, its common among many fighters today. It's said that fighting is 80% anaerobic and only 20% aerobic - that doesn't sound too equal to me.

Regardless, welcome to blog world. It's always interesting to see what the others here are doing.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 09-22-2006 at 07:32 AM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Most boxers, due to years of training, have built what I called an aerobic base. I agree, that once you have built this, you need only to maintain it. Then comes the jog/sprint/ jog program to develope aneorbic, aerobic, and active recovery qualities. The running program I use, I use it in conjuction with various other anaerobic training. I definitley won't argue the importance of it either. What type of stuff do you do?

http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/sh...ad.php?t=36295

How often do you chop wood? Is that a regular part of your program as the weather gets colder?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Yeah. My wife thinks I'm crazy. You should see the stack of wood I have going already. This weekend I'm picking up another load of wood and in two weeks I'm getting three truckloads from my brother-in-law. Like I said, what I'll do is split the logs until I have a huge pile. I usually wear two sweatshirts and a thermal to get a good sweat going. Then I'll load up a big tote and carry it at a brisk pace about fifty yards (I have a big yard). I have a big metal fire pit that I burn it in. I like doing it, it kinda reminds me of Rocky IV. It's a great workout and it helps build focus and coordination. Especially when you split the smaller logs. Some of the logs I get are so big you can barely get your arms around them. These I drop off near the front of my yard and I'll pick them up and run (it's probably more like a fast walk) with them, about 100 yds. or so, and stack them in a pile.

Today:

Ran 2.5 miles hills and sprints.

This week: along w/ regular training, mon. and wed.- boxing. Tues.- judo. thurs. and fri.- mma. Everyday Iron Palm, Iron Vest and forms (tai chi, kung fu).

just seeing if my sig. pic. works.

Let's try this again
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

boxing, judo, mma, kung fu... you're not training all of those formally right now, are you? What are you receiving formal training in, if anything, right now?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I trained formally in Kung Fu for 13 years (I hold a black sash and I'm a certified instructor). I lived with my instructor for five years and trained for about 3-6hrs. a day. I had my own school for a while but I found that the time I put forth reaped little finacially and it cut into my own training time. I have a couple guys I train a couple times a month though. Mainly, I do my kung fu training on my own and I cycle my trainings (iron vest (small and large frame), tiger claw, and ironwire). I do train formally in Kodokan Judo once a week, mma twice a week, and boxing 2-3 times a week. I do my weight training at the same gym that I train in judo and mma at (different instructors though). I box at a gym that's about fifteen minutes from where I live. I train a lot. Especially lately, the place I work has been closed for repairs/ remodeling for about two months. I don't just consider it a hobby, I consider it a lifestyle. On top of training, I go to school, manage a night club and I'm married (which is a job in itself). I'm always on the go. Luckily my wife is very supportive and understanding, for the most part.

Today
    Rode bike 12 miles
    boxing
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

dayum... you sound like me. I no longer train in kung fu. I currently train and teach muay thai, and am starting back my training in capoeira and bjj tonight. I want to go back to judo as well, but it interferes with some private students I recently took on. I'm gonna try to shuffle some things around and see what I can come up with. I am in the gym several times a week, if not daily. I am also married. I don't manage a night club, but I work as a bouncer in one.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

You know exactly what I'm talking about when I say it's a lifestyle and not a hobby. I was a bouncer for a little over eight years. The place I'm at now I worked my way up from security, to head of security, and finally manager. Even though I'm the manager now, I still like to get my hands dirty, if you know what I mean. I always admired capoeira for it's acrobatics and such. One has to be a pretty good athlete to master that style. How applicable is it as far as fighting is concerned? At one time there was a capoeira school in my area but I think that the instructor may have been a fake. Who knows. One of my classmates at the time went to check him out and after the first class the instructor wanted to spar him. It got pretty ugly from what I'm told and needless to say he wasn't invited back. That school only lasted about a year. My buddy said that he thought the guy was a video master. The type that learns all of his material from tapes.

Yesterday- Easy day 35 min. elliptical, (iron vest, iron palm)

Today- 4.1 mile run (lots of hills), forms, boxing (this evening), (iron vest, iron palm)

our particular group - nacao - doesn't do a lot of the flashier stuff you see on tv, until much later in traning. we drill elbows, knees, headbutts and takedowns - things that most people don't have a clue that capoeira teaches. The cartwheel is used a lot, and there is a lot of movement around the ground - mainly for defensive and evasive reasons. capoeira basics are like anything from any other style - roundhouse, front push kick, side kick, hook kick, crescent kick (outside and inside)... these are things that are practical in the street. I have my reservations about play in the roda, because it is non-contact, but I have contact sparred with the instructor before, and he hits pretty darn hard.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

That's cool. Strength in the basics it what really matters in the arts. I'm sure you know that, being a fellow fighter and hard trainer. I always wanted to try out muay thai but the closest school, that I would actually go to, is about two hours away from where I'm located. There is one that's closer but when I went there to check it out they said that they don't spar because of liabilities. That's cool and all but I'd probably get more from a cardio kickboxing class.

Today-
    Chest/ flat bench,incline bench,pec dec
    Shoulders/ military press, lateral raises
    Triceps/close grip presses, french curls
    20 min. elliptical
    Usual trainings

I did a short but intense workout today. I just wasn't focused or feeling it. Got into an argument with the wife. She's pregnant and hormonal right now.

If I hear "running isn't great for joints" one more time....

I serve with personnel who are competitive athletes (some of whom have been on the Army-level teams), to include marathoners, ultramarathoners and triathletes. None of whom have expressed any greater-than-average incidence of joint injury or chronic irritation. Ages range from 18-40+.

If you are outside the structural parameters of your frame (5'4" and 190lbs, for example) and do not have a corresponding build (i.e. your 5'4" frame should only be carrying 140 lbs, as you don't have a Arnold-like build), then yes, running is probably not a good idea. Drop the moonpies and mount the Stairmaster to lose the extra beef.

Running on concrete will increase the risk of stress injury, as will increasing distance/duration too rapidly. Running with bad form will do so as well (there is a right way to run)

Running won't injure you. Running improperly will.
    Last edited by Wood Dragon; 09-26-2006 at 11:08 PM.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Tuesday:

Cardio Day

Warmup/Stretch

Running
    4 Mile Track Workout
    Run 1mile in 7:00
    Three sets of:
    1/4mile sprint
    1/4mile run @ 1:45
    Six sets of:
    1/8mile sprint
    1/8mile run @ 1:00

Swimming:
    Hypoxic Pyramid
    100m set

Strokes-per-breath (pyramid): 2-4-6-8-10-8-6-4-2
    Total swim distance: 900m

Cool down and stretch.

Evening: 30 minutes of kihon (technique) work
    30 minutes of bag work (~25 mins, after I chased away some friends)
    10 minute run through of several kata

Note: I am on a 52 week program (I'm a Staff Officer now, so I can do that), and don't really use weights a lot until the dead of Winter. 90% of my strength training come from calisthenics and task-oriented training (rope climbs, etc). We didnt have to fight barbells in OIF.
    Last edited by Wood Dragon; 09-26-2006 at 11:05 PM.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?