Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Training hard

Saturday-

Cardio-
    20 mins. treadmill (sprint/ jog, sprint followed by 1 min.jog to recover 1/1, 1/1, 2/1, 2/1, 3/1, 2/1, 1/2)

20 mins. elliptical

10 mins. bike

10 mins. speedbag

Performed each exercise back to back 1 hour total.

Later...
    100 jumping jacks followed by 5 mins. skipping rope. Burpee/ push up/ pull up/ leg lift combo 1 mins. x 10 sets, 30 sec. rest in between.

Diet-
    meal 1- (restaraunt w/ dad) Two eggs, hash browns, 8oz. chop steak, dry rye toast, black coffee
    meal 2- protein bar
    meal 3- two rice cakes
    meal 4- rice (same as day before), chix. breast
    meal 5- protein shake (myoplex)

Wasn't really hungry once I ate breakfast today and also decided to cut back on calories the rest of the day to make up for breakfast.
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

Sunday-
    Leg day -
    4 sets squats
    4 sets leg presses
    4 sets leg raise/hamstring curl/ calf raises (giant set).

15 mins. speed bag
    5x3 min. round heavy bag (30 sec. rest)
    3 min. punch out
    100 each round house (shin) (l&r), straight kicks (l&r)
    100 punches each arm (straight, cross and uppercut) light weights

I felt good today (training). After training I took my dad to my buddy's tattoo shop and he got a tattoo on the inside of his forearm from his wrist to his elbow. It's kinda crazy (he's 50). Out of the blue he said he wanted a tattoo and he got one. He started going to the gym with me about a month ago and the changes that he's made, not only physically, but in his attitude towards life are great. He used to seem depressed and sort of down all the time, but now he's excited about working out and the progress he's made. He even got a tanning package. I don't know if it's a mid-life crisis or what, but whatever it is, it seems to be going good for him. It just goes to show you it's never too late to start taking care of yourself and start living life to it's fullest. Lately my dad has really inspired me. On the days that I barely drag myself out of the house to go to the gym I remind myself that my dad's 50 years old (and works 50-60 hours a week) and he's not complaining about being tired or overworked. So just remember, if your debating about whether your going to go to the gym tonight or if you should just stay home and watch Gilmore Girl's and eat bon bon's, somewhere out there, there just might be a fifty year-old guy who's training harder than you are. If you do decide to stay home and see what the Gilmore chicks are going to do next, it's ok my dad and I will train for you. Train hard and keep on keepin' on.
    Last edited by franco1688; 10-08-2006 at 07:47 PM.
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

monday-
    I didn't train today. I worked on a roofing job today and that was enough of a workout, about 12 hrs. worth. Tore up two layers of shingles, carried up 15 rolls of tar paper, along w/ everything else I had to carry up, picked up the scrap shingles, and did all of the other fun stuff that roofers do.

-kung fu trainings (iron vest, iron palm)

diet-

meal 1- protein shake w/oatmeal
    meal 2- banana, chix breast
    meal 3- two rice cakes, apple
    meal 4- steak (I only eat red meat about once or twice a month), salad, baked potato w/ I can't believe it's not butter spray (making fabio proud)
    meal 5- protein shake
    meal 6- 1c. pinto beans, 4 hard boiled egg whites (I don't think my wife appreciated this meal an hour after I ate it )
    Last edited by franco1688; 10-09-2006 at 07:22 PM.

Tuesday-
    Worked on the roof again today. I'll have to say, I have nothing but respect for a man who does this day in and day out for 20+ years. Afterwards, I drank a diet turbo tea and hit the gym.

Chest, shoulders and tris. (did a lighter workout today because roofing kinda kicked my you know what.)

Chest-
    Hammer bench- 4 sets
    Incline bench- 4 sets
    Incline flies- 3 sets (last set, flies to failure then pressed the weight until fully fatigued)

Shoulders-
    Standing shoulder presses (straight bar)- 4 sets
    lateral raises- 4 sets

Triceps-
    Press downs - 4 sets (last set drop set to failure)

Judo class

After watching Tito and Mr. Shamrock fight, I did my iron vest and iron palm training. Although I haven't been a big fan of Ken Shamrock lately, I'll have to say it was kinda sad seeing him retire. Granted, it was a good choice and he was pretty old for a competitive fighter. I think its just the image of the older, tired looking fighter bowing out from what they obviously love to do, that gets me. Oh well.

wed.

45 min run treadmill

burpee combination movement 5x 2min. (30 sec. rest)

kung fu trainings

later in the evening...
    boxing

diet
    meal 1- two eggs, 4 pcs. turkey bacon, 1/4 c. oatmeal
    meal 2- 1c. pinto beans, salad (3 c. salad mix, 2c. cauliflower, 1/2 green pepper, far free ranch), chix breast
    meal 3- protein shake, banana
    meal 4- 4 slices smoked turkey ham (deli), 2c. cabbage, 1/2c. penne pasta
    meal 5- protein shake, rice cake

I still felt pretty hit from roofing, but I perservered. I changed up my diet a little bit today. I ran out of eggs so substituted the turkey bacon and I've eaten so much chicken over the past few weeks that I think I'm starting to grow feathers. The switch today wasn't too bad. I consumed a lot more sodium than I normally would but it's all good. I drink at least a gallon of water a day and I usually wear three sweatshirts and a t-shirt when I do cardio so I'll sweat it out.
    Last edited by franco1688; 10-11-2006 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Dragon View Post
    Tuesday:

Cardio Day

Warmup/Stretch

Running
    4 Mile Track Workout
    Run 1mile in 7:00
    Three sets of:
    1/4mile sprint
    1/4mile run @ 1:45
    Six sets of:
    1/8mile sprint
    1/8mile run @ 1:00

Swimming:
    Hypoxic Pyramid
    100m set

Strokes-per-breath (pyramid): 2-4-6-8-10-8-6-4-2
    Total swim distance: 900m

Cool down and stretch.

Evening: 30 minutes of kihon (technique) work
    30 minutes of bag work (~25 mins, after I chased away some friends)
    10 minute run through of several kata

Note: I am on a 52 week program (I'm a Staff Officer now, so I can do that), and don't really use weights a lot until the dead of Winter. 90% of my strength training come from calisthenics and task-oriented training (rope climbs, etc). We didnt have to fight barbells in OIF.
    Somebody got Stew Smith's book...

He has some great material out there. Although I no longer have access to a pool, I still do hypoxic pyramids on a rowing ergometer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    Somebody got Stew Smith's book...
    Utilize it religiously.

Short of some of the CrossFit stuff (I'm living in BOQ, so I don't have space for a custom gym or tractor tires), it's the best workout template I've seen.

His workouts are usually <60 minutes as well, which is worth major points to me.

Since I've been following the Max Fitness cycles, I've never scored less than a 300 on the APFT.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Could you guys explain the hypoxic pyramid? I'm not really familiar with it, but I'll try anything once. Who's Stew Smith? I'm always interested in checking out new stuff. I like the crossfit program (I should say I like their exercises). I think it's cool that they post a daily workout for free. I think I'm just a trainaholic, I feel I need to do a little bit more than what they post as a daily workout.

Training-

Back/bis/traps

back-
    hammer strength pull downs- 3 sets
    hammer rows (wide grip)- 3 sets
    close grip pully rows- 3 sets
    neutral grip pull downs- 3 sets

traps/bis-
    upright rows- 3 sets
    dumbell curls/shrugs superset- 3 sets
    preacher curls (machine varying intesity low/middle/high)- 4 sets (3rd set to failure then partial reps, 4th set partial reps to failure)

cardio- run treadmill (8 min. mile pace)

mma

kung fu trainings

diet- didn't get my 5 meals in today I was out running around. I've been in the bar/nightclub business for about 8 or 9 years and I recently decided it was time to pursue my own business. My partner and I put our business plan together and checked out some potential locations today. Anyway:

meal 1- lean pocket
    meal 2- big veggie salad, chicken and bean soup (my own concoction and Id have to say it wasn't too bad.)
    meal 3- protein shake

Hypoxic pyramid: By limiting your breathing, you imitate training at high altitudes. So, while swimming, you ration the number of breaths you take, via a certain # of strokes per breath.

IOW:

Hypoxic Pyramid
    100m set

Strokes-per-breath (pyramid): 2-4-6-8-10-8-6-4-2
    Total swim distance: 900m

100m per set, 9 sets.

On set 1 of the pyramid, you would do 2 strokes per breath. On set 2 (2nd 100m), you would do 4 strokes, then breath. On up to 10 strokes per breath, then back down the other side of the pyramid to 2 strokes per breath.

NOTICE: NOT NOT NOT to be practiced or employed outside of a Lifeguard-rich environment. You can push your system too hard and black out in the middle of a stroke, underwater. I've come close.

Stew Smith: Former Navy SEAL Officer. Designed the Physical Training regimen for BUD/S and the Naval Academy. Any book or program by him is worth it's weight in platinum. Especially MAXIMUM FITNESS.

http://www.stewsmith.com/
    Last edited by Wood Dragon; 10-13-2006 at 06:01 PM.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

I'd just like to reiterate the need to do those in a lifeguard rich environment. You can black out before you know it.

Wood Dragon,

I agree. I initially got his 12 Weeks to BUD/S book, and then I got his Maximum Fitness book. Definately some of the best workouts I've seen. I incorporate elements from them into my workouts year round.

friday- i took a bye. I had a lot of running around to do.

saturday-

training

-100 crunches
    -skip rope 5 mins.
    -heavy bag- 100 jabs, 100 straight rights, 100 hooks each arm high and low, drilled combinations for 15 mins., 100 punches each arm punching out
    -speed bag 15 mins.
    -treadmill run 30 mins. total jog/sprint
    -speed bag 10 mins.

*started new kung fu traing cycle, tiger trainings- 24 tigers (weights), tiger tension training, keur wong training (developes speed, breath control, and short distance striking power)

diet-
    meal1- 1/4c. oatmeal, banana, 4 egg whites
    meal2- protein shake, 2 rice cakes w/ light peanut butter
    meal3- 1c. pinto beans, chix salad (lettuce mix, green pepper, chix, fat free italian)
    meal4- protein shake

I hate the cold weather season. I need to move somewhere where it's warm all year.

sunday-

-elliptical 20 mins.

-treadmill run 5.5 pace 15 incline for ten mins.

-100 crunches

-10 mins. speed bag

kung fu trainings (tiger)

Something must be going around I've been feeling sick the last couple days. It feels like I have the flu or something. It sucks, but for right now I'm trying to train through it. I've noticed, in the past, that if I sit around and relax when I'm sick I seem to not only feel sicker but it seems to last longer.

monday-
    run 2 miles (outside w/hills)
    burpee combination
    tiger trainings

boxing

meal 1- oatmeal w/ banana, chix breast
    meal 2- cashews
    meal 3- chili
    meal 4- protein shake, 2 rice cakes

Tuesday-
    Still feeling under the weather. I did my kung fu trainings and the elliptical and called it quits for today.

Wednesday-

Earlier in the day.....

Tiger trainings (24 tigers 576 total reps, tension training, keur wong speed and short power training)

Burpee combination (burpee, knuckle push up, legs in, jump grab bar, pull up, then leg lift) 3 sets of ten

Iron palm, iron arm, and elbow conditioning and power drills

Later...

Chest/ Back supersets

Bench press/ Hammer pull down 4 sets
    decline bench/ Hammer rows 3 sets
    incline bench/ wide grip pull downs 3 sets
    incline flies 3 sets
    pec dec 3 sets

100 crunches

15 mins. speed bag

elliptical 15 mins.

didn't go to boxing tonight

diet-
    meal 1- whole grain waffles, 3 egg whites
    meal 2- protein shake w/coffee instead of water
    meal 3- salad, steak, baked potato, glass of milk
    meal 4- protein shake
    meal 5- chix salad