Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Training hard

Question Short Cut To Cardio Fitness???

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Dragon View Post
    Hypoxic pyramid: By limiting your breathing, you imitate training at high altitudes. So, while swimming, you ration the number of breaths you take, via a certain # of strokes per breath.
    Hi Stew,
    We had a token ( Kata , Form) we did in Southern Shaolin called Far Ken
    The intent was to build up to the point where you could do the entire form without taking a breath.
    Another student explained to me that is was a Old Style shortcut to a minimal degre of aerobic fitness.

Depending on your level of expertise the form took between 1-3 minutes to complete.

Whats your opinion...do you think it works? Anyone ever heard of it before?

JD

Stew Smith: Former Navy SEAL Officer. Designed the Physical Training regimen for BUD/S and the Naval Academy. Any book or program by him is worth it's weight in platinum. Especially MAXIMUM FITNESS.

http://www.stewsmith.com/[/QUOTE]

JDK,
    If your still out there. I have heard of this and I actually do the Far Kuen token myself. I also do this from time to time while hitting the heavy bag. When I've finished my San Shou/ Boxing routine I'll do what I call "punching out." First, I expel all the air out of my lungs then I'll hit the bag 100x (just using basic punches from a horse stance). Second, I'll breath in and and hold it, then I perform another 100 reps. Lastly, I hit the bag as many times as I can to finish utilizing normal breathing. I see that you're from Ohio, so I'm figuring that we probably come from the same root system. But anyway, I also do this with the big body training (expelling all the air out of my lungs, then performing a movement). I believe that doing this type of training is not only useful from a cardio/ aerobic standpoint, but it also teaches you to perform when out of breath (ie. if you happen to get the wind knocked out of you). Also, and this may or may not sound strange, it triggers the the same chemicals in your brain that come into play when your drowning. You know how when you dive a little too deep into the water and you didn't take as deep a breath as you should have and your frantically trying to swim fast to the top? Your body is experiencing this internally, but by incorporating this into training you're teaching yourself to not only remain calm when out of breath. Also, by inhaling deeply before performing a movement, your expanding your lung capacity (over time). Oh well, that's my two cents.

I'm still training hard. My training schedule has changed a little do to a job change. It is as follows:

*Mon thru Sun- Iron Vest and Iron Palm (4:30 a.m.)
    Arm Grab Program (in the evening)

* Sat, Sun and Mon - run 3-5 miles

* Tues and Thurs- Traditional Kung FU (teaching and training)

* Sat- San Shou/ MMA

* Tues, Thurs, and Sun- weight training (I changed to a superset program for the time being utilizing weight and bodyweight movements. Tues- Chest and Back, Thurs- Shoulders, Traps and arms, Sun- Legs)

It all seems to be working good so far. I've dropped about twenty lbs. and I feel great. Dietwise, I cut out all refined sugar, salt, caffeine and anything that contains these items. Basically, if it's processed and packaged I don't eat it (for the most part). I even cut out protein shakes too, but I'm still getting plenty of protein. A day in my diet looks sort os like this:

1) 1/2 c oatmeal, 3 egg whites 1 whole egg
    2) 1 banana, 1/4 c almonds
    3) 1c baby carrots (raw), sandwhich sugarfree salt- free bread- organic bread w/ 8oz. chix breast and lettuce.
    4) 1 apple, 1/4 c cashews
    5) 1/2c brown rice, 1c broccoli, fish (usually salmon, tuna or tilapia)
    6) 1c. green beans, 8oz chix breast (sometimes I skip this meal depending on the time)

I only drink tea (herbal) or water and I eat my last meal 2-3 hrs. before bedtime.
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

Thumbs up Far Kuen

Hey franco1688 ,
    thanks for the reply. Good to hear from someone who has actually practiced the token...and knows the physiological reasons of how and why it works.

In all honesty...I have forgotten most of the form, so I do what I remember.
    ( I no longer train at that School) But even the 20 percent I remember is helpful

I am only one month back into serious training....so I have a long way to go.

It is interesting and encouraging however that it has come back to me so quickly
    AND the results of a mere one month of Stance Training , Arm Grabs, other tokens I remember, weight training, Heavy Bag training and speed work, Boxing and one Staff Form I partially remember....has increased my power and stamina in such a short amount of time.

I have lost 11 Pounds..feel MUCH better, drink herbal Tea and water ...and also I
    have incorporated a tone and stretch program taught to me another teacher...and that has helped immensly.

My original Style didnt really incorporate any stretching, and I have very tight hamstrings and lower body in general...so I desperately needed daily stretching.

I am eating better..but not as good as you!

I KNOW so much information...but head knowledge isnt enough.
    Without me putting into pratice the teachings I have learned over the last 20 years..the knowledge is useles.

Also, I lack a practice partner for grappling, which I feel is essential in todays society, as many have learned through the UFC and attend schools that now incorporate Grappling and Jujitsu into their training Todays thugs and criminals are NOT from our fathers generation...it is a bIt of a different world out there in actual combat.
    But what am I telling YOU for...you know the scoope from experience!!!

I wish you good health and good training.

JDK
    Last edited by JDK; 01-31-2007 at 06:40 AM.
    "It's not WHO'S right...its WHAT'S right" Truth Comes from many Sources
    so try and disregard WHO is saying it..and explore if WHAT is being said has any Truth to It.
    [

I'm actually teaching in the area. Tues and Thurs. are traditional Kung Fu and on Saturdays I have a class that incorporates kung fu (san shou), boxing, some wrestling and various techniques a stand up fighter may use to defend against a grappler. Just send me an IM if you're interested.
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

Update-
    I haven't had much time lately to keep posting my daily training schedule. I'm still doing the Iron Jacket Training (Small Body) and I've lost twenty pounds so far. Not bad for only being about 5 weeks into the program. Last week was rough though, I had pneumaonia all week, but I still kept up with the training and the diet (although I did find someone teach my class for me). Due to my crazy schedule and the fact that I have a baby on the way my routine has changed a bit and I had to cut some stuff out for the time being. My new schedule is as such:

Monday- Run (2-4 miles), Bodyweight routine (compound movements)

Tuesday- Kung Fu class, Weights (Chest, Shoulders, Tris)

Wed- Bodyweight routine, elliptical, bike, speed bag

Thurs- Kung Fu Class, Weights (Back, Bis, Traps)

Fri- Same as wed

Sat- Kung Fu/ San Shou 1 1/2- 2hrs, Run

Sun- Weights (Legs), Run

Everyday- 5:30 a.m. Iron Jacket, Iron Palm, and Meditation

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm back online. I haven't had time, for a long time, to post. I'd like to get this thread going again and conversate on what is most important to me (other than my family ofcourse) and that is TRAINING. Raw gut wrenching, bone shattering, teeth clattering, heart pumping, sweat pouring, brain searing training. Since the last time on posted to this thread I have dropped 30 lbs., my strength has grown, and my tolerance for pain and mind numbing workouts has increased. I am not attending any schools at this time or training anyone. Since I have moved I have been focusing on numero uno and I have been refining all of the knowledge and training I have acquired up until this point. To make a long story short, I had a Sifu who used to say that it is not the one who collects forms and techniques that ascends to the top, it is the one who practices (this is a really shortened version and not as poetic as the way he told it but I'm sure you get the picture.

This is my current training regimen (sometimes more sometimes less)-

mon- run 2-5 miles, explosive/core/power training (plyometrics, bodyweight exercises, kettle balls), boxing/sanshou training, iron palm

tues- iron jacket training (with ankle and wrist weights/ adding weight vest soon), tiger claw training (over 500 reps), forms, iron palm

wed- iron jacket, iron palm, tai chi (with ankle/wrist weights), Chest and Back (weight training)

thurs and sat. - run 2-5 miles, iron jacket, iron palm, techniques

fri- same as wed except I train shoulders, traps and arms

sun- same as wed and fri except I train legs

Also everyday I do a chi kung training that develops short, explosive, penetrating power.

My diet

Meal 1 - 6 eggwhites, 2 whole eggs, 2-4 slices of dry lite wholegrain toast

Meal 2- whey protein shake

Meal 3- 8oz chicken breast (grilled) and a banana

Meal 4- protein shake

Meal 5- 8 oz ground turkey, mixed vegetables, 1 sm sweet potato

Meal 6- protein shake

Supplements- Glutamine, L-Carnitine, Chromium, Fish Oil, Flax Seed Oil, Vitamin E, Multi-Vitamine, Creatine (Cycle on and off), and NOS

I just recently devised this diet. I cut out some of the whole meals (for meals 2 and 4) and replaced them with protein shakes. I'm trying to get shredded. We'll see if it works.

Training was kind of slow motion today. Still getting over being sick

Welcome back!

Definitely looks like an arduous regimen you have going; keep it up. I do have a few questions, though. I notice a distinct absence of red meat. Do you avoid it, or just lack a taste for it? For me, it's difficult to get enough fat in my diet without it.

For the supplementation, what have you noticed from the NOS? I've used a product for 12 weeks, and noticed no difference I would not have expected from my then-current diet/training protocol.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I don't totally avoid red meat I eat it once, maybe twice, a week on my cheat day. I'll either have 8oz of steak, maybe a roast, or a burger. I limit my red meat intake because I believe its a little harder on the system (at least for me it is). Chicken breast is lower in fat, I'm not saying that fat is bad because your body does need some fats. I get most of my fat intake from fish oil, flak seed oil, olive oil, canola oil (cooking spray), and the two egg yolks I eat everyday. As far as the NOS is concerned, I have noticed a better pump and more energy. I buy the powdered stuff and I mix it up with water. Then I drink half of it before I start training and the other half I sip on while I'm working out. It's definitly not a super supplement, but it's legal and it helps a little bit. Through all my trials and errors I have found that the most important thing is diet (and intense training).

What type of NOS are you using (pill or powder and what brand)? When and how are you taking it?

Do you still live in Ohio then?
    A hard-training kung fu guy with an Ohio license plate moved into my apartment complex here in San Antonio a few months ago and I've been curious if anybody on here knows 'im.
    I see him in a USKF tshirt sometimes and his forms look northern.
    I'm always looking for new training partners.

NOS always made me ill to my stomach.
    I don't know that it really gave me any endurance gains, I just notice i sweat BUCKETS when I take it.

I really respect your diet; I don't do well on an overly structured diet but I envy those who do.

keep it up.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Yeah I still live in Ohio. I moved from northeastern ohio down to southern ohio. I went from living in the city to living in the country, although I did live in Columbus for a year before moving here. Columbus wasn't too bad, when I lived there I trained with some BJJ guys for a while and I actually got to train with Royce Gracie. I know most people are either a fan of his or they're not, but I will say one thing, when I saw him rolling on the mat it was so smooth it was like tai chi on the mat. He is definitley the master of what he does.--- I haven't seen any martial art schools down here other than some karate class a the YMCA. (I think I'm a little beyond training with the kids.) I did see a SUV driving around with a sticker that said Mayhem MMA. I don't know if it's a school or a group of local guys that put a team together or what. If anyone knows, let me know. ---There seems to be a lot of "MMA" teams and schools popping up all over the place. I've checked out a lot of them and most of them have been nothing more than classes on how to f**k yourself up. (I'm not saying Mayhem MMA is because I don't know) don't
    get me wrong I love hardcore full contact training, but within reason. I usually don't last too long at these "schools" because one thing about me is that if I get bit I'll bite back but just a little bit harder. Then you'll never see me again, but believe me, you won't forget me. I'm not trying to talk s**t, I just get kinda pis**d off when I think about these types of places.

I avoid NO supplements, as a general rule. The supplement I used was the NO-Explode from that companythat got busted for saying they used a creatine type which doesn't actually exist in or out of their product.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I'm in the same way when it comes to sparring: don't hit me hard and expect me not to respond.
    I also know what you mean by the unprofessional mma groups sprouting up. There are at least a couple in my town, eventhough there are at least 5 solid mma gyms in the area.

As far as Team Mayhem, all I found was this myspace page:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=401199011
    Just another sign of the trendiness of mma; which is why I don't mind "just" being a "stand up guy". Usually say I'm Muay Thai, San Shou, or San Da. I work with mma folks all the time but I'm not really down with the whole pitbulls, barbed-wire, and skulls scene.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting