Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Training hard

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm mainly a stand up guy (it's where I prefer to be in the ring and definitley on the street). I know enough ground work to defend myself and submit some people in the ring and most on the street. I don't plan on making a living in the UFC, so I'm pretty happy with that. I'm not into the pink hair, skull and flame t-shirts, and camo painted face thing either. I can definitley say one thing, I have noticed that my years of kung fu (stances, tension training, floorwork, etc.) have given me a foundation that a lot of these mma guys can't disrupt. I still believe in kung fu.
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

Well yesterday was a rough day. I've had this toothache that's been naging me on and off for a few months and I've been putting off going to the dentist. The night before my tooth hurt so bad (and the whole left side of my face, my ear, everything) that I only got about 2 hrs. of sleep. But, being the obsessed warrior/ trainer that I am, I chugged down an Amp energy drink and hit the gym at 6 a.m. anyway. I actually got in a killer workout in and felt pretty good, except for the toothache. When I was done I went back home and tried to get a nap, but it didn't happen. I called off work and went to the urgent care dentist office and to make a long story short ended up getting a root canal. Anyone that has had one of these knows how fun they are. Later that evening I finally got my prescriptions (they gave me amoxicillin and 800 mg. IB). I took them at 7pm, and at about 9pm my fingers started itching really bad, then my face, and then my feet. After about 5-10 mins. of looking like a mental patient trying to scrape my skin off, my hands swelled up, then my tongue, face, lips, and throat. When that happened I finally told my wife to get the baby we gotta go! I get to the hospital and tell them what I'm there for (keep in mind I can barely talk because my tongue and throat were swollen), she says ok have a seat. After sitting there for about 25 mins. I go up and tell her it feels like someone is strangling me and I can barely breath, and she says ok I'll go get somebody. My wife's pi**ed, I'm ready to start drop kicking people and start breaking stuff (at this point I look like the guy that exploded on big trouble in little china). After about an hour they finally treat me. Come to find out I'm allergic to amoxicillin (I've taken this crap 100x). I've experienced a lot of stuff in my life (tasered, cs gays, pepper spray, stabbed, and I get kicked in the nuts and stabbed in the back everyday), but this was friggin terrible. Even though I feel like crap, I'm gonna train through it today though I will probably take it a little easier than normal.
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

Quote Originally Posted by franco1688 View Post
    I've experienced a lot of stuff in my life (tasered, cs gays, pepper spray, stabbed, and I get kicked in the nuts and stabbed in the back everyday)
    Got to watch out for those "cs gays".... given the opportunity, there's usually a bunch of backstabbers in that kinda group that'd try to "take advantage" of the "unwary".

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    Got to watch out for those "cs gays".... given the opportunity, there's usually a bunch of backstabbers in that kinda group that'd try to "take advantage" of the "unwary".
    My bad cs gas. But you're right you gotta watch out for them too.

Although, I had some medical issues this week my training and diet went fairly well. Today I changed it up a bit. I did my normal trainings the I worked on core movements, explosive power, bodyweight exercises, and cardio.

Circuit 1- 4x
    1. burpee/ push up/pull up/ leg lift combo
    2. burpee/ clean and press
    3. alternating dumbell snatch
    4. kettle ball swing

Lower Body Power-
    1. jump squat w/weight, deadlift superset 4x
    2. Leg press emphasizing explosivness 4x
    3. Burn out w/ leg raise and leg curl 1 set

Ab circuit- 4x
    1.sit up
    2. Hanging Leg Raise
    3. Double Crunch
    4. Crunch
    5. Hyper Extension/ Rear Lateral Raise/ Neck Raise Combo
    6. Side to side w/ dumbell
    7. Twists (w/barbell)
    8. Plank exercises

Cardio-
    Warm up 1 mile, Incline intervals 5% to 10% to 15% then back down (pyramid) done twice. Finished with a 5 min cool down.

I put myself through some pain today.

My bad cs gas. But you're right you gotta watch out for them too.
    Fore-warned is something or other.....

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    Fore-warned is something or other.....
    ???

I'm starting this thread for martial artists to discuss/share training techniques and to share training stories. I don't wish to discuss politics or what style is the best. If you're training hard this may be the thread for you. No s**t talkers! Please.

When I was a little younger, I took the summer off of aikido when I moved into a new house. I had to train on my own at home.

My daily routine consisted of 100 back break falls, 500 sword cuts, walking through all the test techniques that I was responsible for (white belt through brown belt) and a daily viewing of the video tape of all the test techniques.

When I got back to training in the fall, I fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by RickMatz View Post
    When I was a little younger, I took the summer off of aikido when I moved into a new house. I had to train on my own at home.

My daily routine consisted of 100 back break falls, 500 sword cuts, walking through all the test techniques that I was responsible for (white belt through brown belt) and a daily viewing of the video tape of all the test techniques.

When I got back to training in the fall, I fit right in.
    That's good stuff. At first it takes a lost of discipline to train on your own. If you look at all the stories of past masters it wasn't while they were in the dojo or the kwoon learning that they became masters, it was while they were off training on their own and testing/ improving upon what they knew. From what you're saying I can tell that you had a passion for what you were doing and I respect that. Most people in that situation usually end up thinking about training but that is as far as they get.

I trained reall hard this week and making great progress. My diet, strength, and cardio are all coming together. Over my years of training/ experimentation I either got stronger, put on weight and my cardio suffered or vice versa (I benched 455 lbs. but I would get out of breath performing a form). When I would make gains in cardio and lose weight my strength would decline (I could run ten miles but my bench dropped to about 250 lbs.). My goal my whole life has been to train to be the total package and be in the type of shape that a pro athlete would be in. I'm feeling pretty good about everything now (although there's always room for improvement). Now I can run 5 miles (avg. 8-10 mins per mile), bench 335, and perform 100 knuckle push ups, among other accomplishments. I'm not posting this to try to brag or anything, I'm just feeling really proud of myself. Hopefully I keep making consistent gains and finally get to the point that I want to be at when I grow up.

Well it's been a while since I've posted on this thread. Since last time I have picked up kettlebell training. Right now I'm only using a 20# kettlebell until I feel I have mastered the movements. I'm only doing about 10 reps of turkish getups on each side and 25-50 reps of the various swings, snatches, cleans(& presses), squats and such. I can already feel the difference. Also, I have been training to be a usd instructor for my place of employment. It's basically been like an aikido bootcamp over the past couple months (40 hrs. a week). Being from a CMA background (amongst other styles over the past 17 yrs.), I am noticing the CMA roots in aikido as I get a little deeper into the style. To sum it all up I'm still training hard.

Franco, you make me feel lazy. I'm surrounded by lazy people so I feel like I'm kicking ass with my training regime, but after reading what you're doing I have to step my game up!

Quote Originally Posted by Lacerto View Post
    Franco, you make me feel lazy. I'm surrounded by lazy people so I feel like I'm kicking ass with my training regime, but after reading what you're doing I have to step my game up!
    I'll help motivate you. It's all about time management and doing stuff that you enjoy doing (I enjoy putting myself through pain). I have a wife, a child and a (more than) full time job. Sometimes I have to break up my training due to time constraints and some days I may not get to train at all. Life happens. Along with work and training I still find time to spend with my family (family comes first). Making each and every workout count is key. Not only that sacrifices have to be made and every second of everyday has to be utilized with intent. What I mean is that there are only so many hours in the day and the way I make it work is by cutting out the b.s. that doesn't help get me to my end goal. I don't go out to bars (or drink for that matter), I don't spend hours watching sports or t.v. shows, I don't play video games, etc. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with this stuff if that is what one likes to do, it's just that my passion is training. Anyone that has ever been good at anything doesn't just do whatever their pursuit may be every now and again. All of the greats (whether they are basketball stars, martial artists, fishermen, whatever the case may be) emerse themselves in what they do and they are committed to it. Discipline may be a hard trait to have, but it comes a little bit easier when you are committed to what you are doing. In my mind, there is nothing more important than committing to mastering and bettering yourself (I try to apply this to all levels of my life). Remember, nobody cares about you more than you do and furthermore nobody else can train for you. An hour of hard training is like putting money in the bank. Every strike that you throw, every pound that you curl, and every mile that you run is an investment in yourself.

today
    -8hrs. aikido
    -run 1.5 miles
    -strength circuit 30 mins. pull ups, push ups, dips, kettle bell, abs, various tiger claw exercises w/ bricks.
    - iron body/ palm trainings

Anyone else do stairs as part of their cardio? Them's a *****.